• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Steering Wheel Clicking Noise

DeathB4Dishonr

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Steering wheel is making a clicking noise when turning to the right. Sometimes is present when turning to left. I believe it may be the clock spring making this noise.

Does anyone else have this noise? I noticed it yesterday and now I can't not notice it. It's bugging the crap out of me.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I have the same issue as well. Someone else on here had the issue and getting them to replace the airbag assembly in the steering wheel fixed the issue. Something to do with the springs in it. My dealer ruled out it being the clock spring for me but I haven't had time to get my airbag unit replaced to see if that fixes my problem.

OP
OP
DeathB4Dishonr

DeathB4Dishonr

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I have the same issue as well. Someone else on here had the issue and getting them to replace the airbag assembly in the steering wheel fixed the issue. Something to do with the springs in it. My dealer ruled out it being the clock spring for me but I haven't had time to get my airbag unit replaced to see if that fixes my problem.
Ahh, airbag makes sense. I did notice it makes the noise if I move the airbag around. I also was able to make the noise stop for a little bit by jiggling the airbag around/hitting it. That was last night, but the noise came back today. I'll try to take my car by the dealer this week if I have time and report back.

AbeTypeR

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
I have the same noise. Honda replaced my clock spring and it did not fix it. Gotta go back

OP
OP
DeathB4Dishonr

DeathB4Dishonr

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I have the same noise. Honda replaced my clock spring and it did not fix it. Gotta go back
Bummer, but good to know. I won't be able to get my car to the dealership this week. I will definitely take it by next week to have this looked at.

OP
OP
DeathB4Dishonr

DeathB4Dishonr

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Just an update, unfortunately I don't have availability to drop my car off this week. I have an appointment to drop my car off on Tuesday morning next week though.

OP
OP
DeathB4Dishonr

DeathB4Dishonr

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Update: Dropped car off this morning and just picked it up. Dealer said the steering column splines had grease spread un-evenly on it and that was causing the clicking noise. They applied grease evenly and said it made the clicking noise go away.

I can report that so far, the clicking noise is gone, though I haven't driven it all that much. I did turn the wheel left and right several times when stopped like I showed in the video I posted and no clicking thus far 👍. Let's hope it stays this way.

Also, the service guy that checked me in this morning said his 22 Si was doing the same thing after I showed him the video.

Dealer experience wasn't great, but it needed to be done. I watched the guy that got into my car to move it this morning stall it. And I'm almost positive that whoever test drove it, beat the shit out of it as well.... I need to get a dash cam I guess.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Update: Dropped car off this morning and just picked it up. Dealer said the steering column splines had grease spread un-evenly on it and that was causing the clicking noise. They applied grease evenly and said it made the clicking noise go away.

I can report that so far, the clicking noise is gone, though I haven't driven it all that much. I did turn the wheel left and right several times when stopped like I showed in the video I posted and no clicking thus far 👍. Let's hope it stays this way.

Also, the service guy that checked me in this morning said his 22 Si was doing the same thing after I showed him the video.

Dealer experience wasn't great, but it needed to be done. I watched the guy that got into my car to move it this morning stall it. And I'm almost positive that whoever test drove it, beat the shit out of it as well.... I need to get a dash cam I guess.
Glad you got it fixed. What led you to this conclusion?

OP
OP
DeathB4Dishonr

DeathB4Dishonr

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Glad you got it fixed. What led you to this conclusion?
When I dropped the car off, my gas gauge showed 8 ticks left. When I picked it up, it showed 6 ticks left, which is right at half a tank. My mpg average was 23.1 when I dropped it off, and it was at 22.0 when I picked it up. I dropped it off with 89.9 on the trip meter and it showed 94.6 when picked up. None of this is hard evidence that the car was beat on and yes, I acknowledge that I may be jumping to conclusions. But the information I have leads me to believe the car was beat on during the test drive.

I also didn't think to take a picture of the gauges when I picked up the car sadly.

OP
OP
DeathB4Dishonr

DeathB4Dishonr

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Update: Clicking noise is starting to comeback. Heard it faintly when I was parking at work this morning and stopped and verified the noise. I'll wait another day or 2 to see if it worsens anymore before going back to the dealership.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R - SGP
I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and say they probably didn't beat on it in the 5 miles they drove it. I'm sure the drive was for testing purposes only and being so close to the dealership with those 5 miles, that would explain a drop in MPG. Gotta think you can drop a 1-3mpg with just a short couple min stop and go driving. If you are worried though, invest in a dash cam and view footage after the fact.

FL5Rio

First Name
Rio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Was this issue addressed resolved for good?

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
My car has been doing this since new. It's not super annoying but I'm hoping a TSB is released soon. I really don't want to bring it to the dealer until there is an actual fix.

FL5Rio

First Name
Rio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
My car has been doing this since new. It's not super annoying but I'm hoping a TSB is released soon. I really don't want to bring it to the dealer until there is an actual fix.
Super annoying sounds like your rubbing comb teeth while turning

OP
OP
DeathB4Dishonr

DeathB4Dishonr

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Was this issue addressed resolved for good?
It stopped making the noise after I jiggled the airbag around and I haven't heard it since. If it's still doing it, it's quiet enough now that I don't hear it. So I would say that it's good to go now.

And sorry for the delayed response, I was out of town for the weekend for a friends wedding.
Sponsored