• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Turbo struggling to spool

Ctrdanny

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic type r
Hey guys I’ve put about 2k miles into my 22 civic si, and have noticed in between “quick” shifts usually 2-3 and 3-4 the turbo seems to struggle to spool back up just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing this in their car. I’ve owed a previous gen si and a fk8 neither cars seemed to have this problem, so it’s just concerning to me
Sponsored

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
17 HBS, 18 SI, 18 CTR, 14 Ridgeline
Hey guys I’ve put about 2k miles into my 22 civic si, and have noticed in between “quick” shifts usually 2-3 and 3-4 the turbo seems to struggle to spool back up just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing this in their car. I’ve owed a previous gen si and a fk8 neither cars seemed to have this problem, so it’s just concerning to me
Can you shed some more light on "struggle to spool back up" that is pretty vague and has tons of variables that go in to that claim.

OP
OP

Ctrdanny

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic type r
Can you shed some more light on "struggle to spool back up" that is pretty vague and has tons of variables that go in to that claim.
Hey Vincent, so it’s more when I’m “shifting quick” and it happens in between shifts the turbo seems to struggle to build full boost again, more or less if I can explain it it’s like it’s getting stuck under 5 psi and then it all hits at once almost like boost lag but I wouldn’t see why this little turbo would have that much lag happens quick ofc but it takes a second or two before it can come back up to full boost

DYI01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2019 Nissan Titan, 2017 Yamaha FZ10
I'm pretty sure Honda put some artificial turbo lag into the stock tune of the Si. Hondata and KTuner both have "quick spool" option settings. I think they build in the slight lag to make it so you feel a boost hit, but in reality just makes the car slower. As a side effect it makes the skinny rods last a bit longer so you don't have a ton of TQ hit all at once at low rpm and send a rod flying. You other option is just keep your right foot matted and power shift the f*cker, but no telling how long that transmission will last driving like that lol.

OP
OP

Ctrdanny

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic type r
I'm pretty sure Honda put some artificial turbo lag into the stock tune of the Si. Hondata and KTuner both have "quick spool" option settings. I think they build in the slight lag to make it so you feel a boost hit, but in reality just makes the car slower. As a side effect it makes the skinny rods last a bit longer so you don't have a ton of TQ hit all at once at low rpm and send a rod flying. You other option is just keep your right foot matted and power shift the f*cker, but no telling how long that transmission will last driving like that lol.
That sounds about right, I kinda figured it could be that I just never felt that “lag” on my previous gen si or ctr, I’m hoping once I go on ktuner it’ll solve the problem, however power shifting does seem to help a bit just don’t want to constantly do that lol

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)
There could be an issue with the wastegate itself. My wastegate failed at 20k miles, so mine is currently waiting at the dealer for the parts. Thankfully I have held off the urge to tune so its still under warranty.

trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR; 2022 Civic Si; 87 Corolla FX16 GT-S
I'm not experiencing any issues. I still have my FK8 too. You might want to take it to the dealer.
Sponsored