• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Lugging the turbo?

Six Speed Si

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 civic si
Ay just acquired my si havn’t driven stick in quite sometime and being that the car is turbo my question is what the lowest rpm I can be at in any given gear more concerned with lower speeds example 2nd gear feels ok between 1500 to 2000rpm but is 1500 to low causing any strain on turbo my question might seem noobish but it’s still a question I’m wondering any recommendations?
Sponsored

HondaFan777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2023 Pilot Elite
Boost starts at 1800rpm. You’re fine.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Ay just acquired my si havn’t driven stick in quite sometime and being that the car is turbo my question is what the lowest rpm I can be at in any given gear more concerned with lower speeds example 2nd gear feels ok between 1500 to 2000rpm but is 1500 to low causing any strain on turbo my question might seem noobish but it’s still a question I’m wondering any recommendations?
Don’t lug the engine use the revs to decrease load on the engine.

DYI01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2019 Nissan Titan, 2017 Yamaha FZ10
The one thing I would try to refrain from doing is low RPM + high load. Low RPM + low load is usually fine, either downshift or bring the RPM up a bit before going full throttle. Low RPM and high load is a recipe for pre-detonation, use premium fuel if you insist on doing it.

OP
OP
Six Speed Si

Six Speed Si

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 civic si
Don’t lug the engine use the revs to decrease load on the engine.
Maybe my question insinuates that I’m going full acceleration in high gear while at low rpm but that’s not the question at hand my question is leaning towards low speed low rpm right before engine begins to sputter what’s the sweet spot before it’s to low

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Maybe my question insinuates that I’m going full acceleration in high gear while at low rpm but that’s not the question at hand my question is leaning towards low speed low rpm right before engine begins to sputter what’s the sweet spot before it’s to low
I personally like running my car at higher rpms when going slow, if I get close to 2k rpms I usually downshift.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah I agree with @Jester04
Around ~2k RPM’s you should be coming toward a stop, otherwise downshift to keep RPM’s up and the car moving ahead. I’d say anywhere from 2k-3k RPM’s is a good “comfort zone” to ensure you don’t lug the engine, but still get good fuel economy. A lot of what you’re asking simply comes from experience (feel + sound). You’ll pick it back up quickly, just like riding a bicycle.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yep
Yeah I agree with @Jester04
Around ~2k RPM’s you should be coming toward a stop, otherwise downshift to keep RPM’s up and the car moving ahead. I’d say anywhere from 2k-3k RPM’s is a good “comfort zone” to ensure you don’t lug the engine, but still get good fuel economy. A lot of what you’re asking simply comes from experience (feel + sound). You’ll pick it back up quickly, just like riding a bicycle.
Yeah that is what I meant thank you dude! On the type R at least I feel second gear is a little long so I tend to rev 1st to about 3200rpms.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I think the main thing to consider here is the load on the engine. Low RPMs while cruising are no big deal but if you are going to apply a lot of throttle you will want to make sure you downshift into an appropriate gear first.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Once you are sputtering it's too low. Anything above that is fine and it's just a matter of modulating the throttle accordingly. The turbocharger really isn't part of the equation if you are just at low speeds in 1st or 2nd gear.

Robdog2232

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Si
I'm no engineer, BUT if you keep the throttle pinned and use the clutch to modulate power, you will NEVER lug the engine/turbo. Probably should start saving for a clutch upgrade if you go this route...

OP
OP
Six Speed Si

Six Speed Si

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 civic si
I think the main thing to consider here is the load on the engine. Low RPMs while cruising are no big deal but if you are going to apply a lot of throttle you will want to make sure you downshift into an appropriate gear first.
Once you are sputtering it's too low. Anything above that is fine and it's just a matter of modulating the throttle accordingly. The turbocharger really isn't part of the equation if you are just at low speeds in 1st or 2nd gear.
thank you low rpm cruising was my main concern
Sponsored