• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

TchnoZ33

First Name
Zaid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
This information isn’t necessarily true/accurate—your insurance carrier is pretty limited on their grounds for coverage denials. If your policy has an exclusion for bodily injury or property damage related to or resulting from vehicle modifications, then I suppose it’s possible, but I’d be curious to see a policy or endorsement with such a limitation.
I’m no lawyer, but I would assume that they would have to prove injury because of faulty placement or malfunction due to the change. I think somewhere on this forum, someone called their insurance provider and asked and they were told that there would be no issue regarding coverage if the back was converted from a 2 seater to a 3 seater. But once again, not a lawyer lol.
Sponsored

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I’m no lawyer, but I would assume that they would have to prove injury because of faulty placement or malfunction due to the change. I think somewhere on this forum, someone called their insurance provider and asked and they were told that there would be no issue regarding coverage if the back was converted from a 2 seater to a 3 seater. But once again, not a lawyer lol.
So Raizzelle was sharing a comment that suggested an insurance carrier could deny coverage ("a claim") outright if the vehicle was modified from a 4-seater to a 5-seater, but you're thinking of a question of liability.

If there's insurance coverage for a loss (aka you have a policy in place at the time of the accident and there are no exclusions that apply) then your insurance company has a duty to defend you (assign a claim representative/legal counsel usually at their cost) and/or indemnify you (settle the loss for an amount up to your policy limit). If there's no coverage, they have no obligation to do either of those things and you're on your own for both.

As for liability, that's what your claim representative/legal counsel is obligated to investigate and fight on your behalf, and you're on the right path with your thinking. If one of your passengers was injured in an accident and elected to make a claim against you or sue you, they'd need to prove that their damages were a result of your negligence. They could argue you were negligent in any number of ways, but could certainly try to make a case that your converting the car from a 4-passenger to 5-passenger was the proximate cause for part or all of their loss. It's not going to be their only argument, and it's probably not one that your insurance company is going to be pleased with having to argue against on your behalf, but as an insurer, you defend what you're stuck with.

If I were doing this, I'd review my policy to make sure vehicle modifications aren't excluded, talk to my agent before doing it, and then make sure I have sufficient liability coverage.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
Funny about the seatbelts. My wife and I were talking about this a few days ago. We have 3 kids, two of which require at least a booster. I concluded in the end that worst case, if we all had to ride in the car we could do the setup similar to what TechnoZ did with the little guy in the middle with his seat in harness mode 😅 and maybe avoid highway if possible. Hard to imagine a scenario where we'd have to do that though.

More likely I would ride in the middle unbuckled and in the event of a head-on collision my wife would put her arm out and try her hardest to keep me from flying through the windshield :thumbsup:

The conversion to 5-seater would be quite easy, about $500 in parts depending on what's available on eBay. The only safety compromise I can think of would be that you probably can't get the rear center belt 'buckled' sensor to work. One benefit of this is that it will preserve the original back seat from carseat deformation and kid damage. Not that the original is anything special. Funny how everyone who sees it picks up on that.

Anyhow, came to share my Esty sourced center cap stickers on Sparco winter wheel job. Strange how completing this felt.
11th Gen Honda Civic What did you do to your FL5 today? IMG_3217

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Anyhow, came to share my Esty sourced center cap stickers on Sparco winter wheel job. Strange how completing this felt.
IMG_3217.jpeg
Care to link to the Etsy listing? Those look good!

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Link here, that seller also has caps but seems the chances of them not fitting a given wheel are high.
I think I've gotten a little too accustomed to King Motorsports' prices--I opened it and thought, "Eh, $12.21/wheel isn't terrible I guess... oh wait... that's for ALL 4!? Take my money!!!"

Mike_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 / GX460
Just got my 23 CW waxed for the winter. So far, I've added the AWE Touring exhaust, alcantera steering wheel, and a Raceng shift knob. Also, I took off the PS4s for the winter and added Pirelli P Zero AS Plus 3. I went with 255/35/19 on the stock rims per the recommendation of some others on the forum, and so far they've been great in the rain and cold. Very little wheel slip at all.

One interesting thing about the AWE is that when I first got it installed, I almost took it back immediately. It was LOUD! After reading various forums about AWE exhaust systems, the consensus seemed to be leave it on for a month and it should calm down. Well, I'm happy to report that seems to be true. Now, I'm actually liking the sound. It may still be slightly too loud for my tastes, but I can live with slightly. Most of the days I appreciate the loundness and embrace it. Cheers!

11th Gen Honda Civic What did you do to your FL5 today? IMG_1675

11th Gen Honda Civic What did you do to your FL5 today? IMG_1676

11th Gen Honda Civic What did you do to your FL5 today? IMG_1677

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I'm not sure when I'll have the time to start, but I've got some vinyl wrapping in my future! I made the print, it's 24"x24" with no pixelation. I don't remember the name of the vinyl I went with, but will share it once it comes to me.

(Sorry for the terrible photo, it's not letting me upload anything bigger than 300kb)

11th Gen Honda Civic What did you do to your FL5 today? IMG_0532