• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Where is a good place to find info on suspension mods and why you want them?

matttheazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Hello all. I am starting to do some research on suspension mods for the track. Currently looking over springs vs coils. Just curious what I might need besides coils over or springs? Camber arms, Toe arms, controls arms, does anyone know a good place to start learning and explaining all this stuff to me. I know YT and googling but if anyone has any channels or articles with great explanations please link me. Can someone help me understand why a full coil over set is better than springs? Is it just adjustability or ride height and tire alignment, thus being able to have the car put down better grip in corners? I don't think I am that fast to put the car to the limits yet, but I am the type of person to buy once cry once. I'm thinking I should probably just skip springs and just do coils.

Currently looking at the RSR active coils to retain factory damper adjustment. If I were to go ohlins, or another brand that deletes the factory dampers, can I quickly adjust the settings at the track? Any good recommendations on a set of coils that are good at the track but don't cost a fortune?

Just an FYI I plan on doing all cooling and handling mods before any power mods. Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored

MERAKIAUTOWORKS

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Type R
Could've swore I replied to this but I'm doing whiteline adjustable ball joints in the front, SPC camber arms in the rear and debating between Swift Springs right now or RSR coilovers.

We can get you setup.

-Josh

ThreeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CTR, '06 E46 M3, '24 Macan GTS, AP2 S2000, BRZ
Why are you looking at modding when you don’t understand what you’re doing yet or what your goals are?
What is it about the stock suspension that you are looking to change?

OP
OP

matttheazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Why are you looking at modding when you don’t understand what you’re doing yet or what your goals are?
What is it about the stock suspension that you are looking to change?
Goals are lowering from stock ride height. damper adjustability would be nice if it can easily done at the track. Would like to not kill my tires due to alignment, and swap from a track set of wheels to street one.

ThreeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CTR, '06 E46 M3, '24 Macan GTS, AP2 S2000, BRZ
Goals are lowering from stock ride height. damper adjustability would be nice if it can easily done at the track. Would like to not kill my tires due to alignment, and swap from a track set of wheels to street one.
If goal is just lowering and occasional track use then the cheapest and probably best solution is to get a set of springs that are well-reviewed and drop the car to your desired height. Swifts are a good idea, and set it and forget it.

This is probably a better option than having to learn how to adjust coilovers, set ride height, which then necessitates re-alignment, set damping settings, test, tune, repeat. The car is already very well setup on stock dampers unless you are running into their limitations most are best leaving it as is

RacingIsLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 FL5, '23 BRZ, '15 EVO GSR, '15 Forester XT
What is your track experience my guy? are you new to track? You don't know much about suspension setup so you likely are new. If that's the case, just pull the strut ping and dial in as much negative camber as you can up front. Then flush in some Castrol SRF brake fluid, and go to town. You'll learn along the way and figure out what you want to change / upgrade.

Me personally I have 60 track days or so under my belt in various cars, and I will track the FL5 with an HEL oil cooler, a PRL RMM, and the whiteline camber adjustable ball joints. Goal is to have about -3 camber up front, and rest is up to me.