Sponsored

Why I Chose the MDR Intercooler for My FL5 (and Why You Might Want To)

OP
OP
SBX Performance

SBX Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tom
Joined
Mar 29, 2025
Threads
36
Messages
367
Reaction score
571
Location
Poughkeepsie
Website
www.sbxperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Honda Civic Type R
1f525.png
NEW: MDR Black Intercooler Option!
1f525.png

One customer asked… and SBX went straight to MDR and made it happen.

MDR FK8/FL5 intercoolers are now available in a stealth black finish — your choice of Cerakote or powder coating. Same killer performance, now with a clean, aggressive look.

2714.png
FK8 & FL5 Fitment
2714.png
Cerakote or Powder Coat
2714.png
Available Now Through SBX Performance
When the community asks, we deliver.

1f5a4.png
DM us to order yours! or
Click here to order

599470725_122151366128670452_7149759662872212462_n (1).webp


597058371_122151365930670452_2504826191311672013_n (1).webp


598511190_122151365984670452_9140278395175655607_n.webp


597549241_122151365942670452_7169007531961242362_n.webp


597266261_122151365972670452_4277401220175070895_n.webp


597593532_122151366014670452_8095499139653437260_n.webp
 

LouisFL5R

New Member
First Name
Louis
Joined
Aug 20, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Malaysia
Vehicle(s)
FL5R
Airtec intercooler over here, chose mine due to the price(cheapest reputable intercooler available at the time), it being black(car looks like it has no intercooler installed) when everyone else was silver or polished only, it is extremely efficient (under the right conditions it’s gotten intake temps to between 9-12 degrees above ambient), the FK2 guys and euro FK8 guys swear by it.
It’s heavy but my car is a street car, if I’m feeling froggy the additional weight can be offset by a lightweight battery and an exhaust.

I was gonna go with MDR until Airtec released theres. Mine is actually the first Airtec intercooler in the US.

IMG_0467.jpeg
Airtec intercooler over here, chose mine due to the price(cheapest reputable intercooler available at the time), it being black(car looks like it has no intercooler installed) when everyone else was silver or polished only, it is extremely efficient (under the right conditions it’s gotten intake temps to between 9-12 degrees above ambient), the FK2 guys and euro FK8 guys swear by it.
It’s heavy but my car is a street car, if I’m feeling froggy the additional weight can be offset by a lightweight battery and an exhaust.

I was gonna go with MDR until Airtec released theres. Mine is actually the first Airtec intercooler in the US.

IMG_0467.jpeg
Thanks for sharing. Very limited information of AIRTEC IC in this thread. If you don’t mind me asking, may I know what’s your setup? Do you feel any increased in turbo lag and also increase in coolant temperature after installing the AIRTEC B&P. Did you also install it together with their oversized boost piping?
 

AspecR

Senior Member
First Name
Stefan
Joined
Aug 23, 2022
Threads
14
Messages
2,387
Reaction score
3,774
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Thanks for sharing. Very limited information of AIRTEC IC in this thread. If you don’t mind me asking, may I know what’s your setup? Do you feel any increased in turbo lag and also increase in coolant temperature after installing the AIRTEC B&P. Did you also install it together with their oversized boost piping?
My current setup is
- Infinity Designs Intake and Turbo inlet pipe in Matte Carbon
- 27Won Kuro turbo
-RV6 downpipe and frontpipe
-Airtec Intercooler with HPS Intercooler charge pipe kit
-tuned by @Jester04 to tie it all together

In terms of turbo lag yes there is a noticable increase but I can't say for certain it was caused by just the intercooler, because I also upgraded the turbo and intercooler piping when the intercooler was installed. For someone using the stock turbo the increase in lag should minimal especially when paired with a custom tune. No noticable variations in coolant temps and I paired itr with the HPS charge pipe kit as stated
 


LouisFL5R

New Member
First Name
Louis
Joined
Aug 20, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Malaysia
Vehicle(s)
FL5R
My current setup is
- Infinity Designs Intake and Turbo inlet pipe in Matte Carbon
- 27Won Kuro turbo
-RV6 downpipe and frontpipe
-Airtec Intercooler with HPS Intercooler charge pipe kit
-tuned by @Jester04 to tie it all together

In terms of turbo lag yes there is a noticable increase but I can't say for certain it was caused by just the intercooler, because I also upgraded the turbo and intercooler piping when the intercooler was installed. For someone using the stock turbo the increase in lag should minimal especially when paired with a custom tune. No noticable variations in coolant temps and I paired itr with the HPS charge pipe kit as stated
Thanks man for the feedback.

How about the intercooler piping which connects the 70mm boost pipe to the throttle body? What are you using it with?

I'm planning to upgrade the intercooler first before tuning it to stage 2. Will also go for Kuro turbo down the road but might be planning it next year. Was also considering few T&F intercoolers like those from RV6 and PRL.
 

AspecR

Senior Member
First Name
Stefan
Joined
Aug 23, 2022
Threads
14
Messages
2,387
Reaction score
3,774
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Thanks man for the feedback.

How about the intercooler piping which connects the 70mm boost pipe to the throttle body? What are you using it with?

I'm planning to upgrade the intercooler first before tuning it to stage 2. Will also go for Kuro turbo down the road but might be planning it next year. Was also considering few T&F intercoolers like those from RV6 and PRL.
The HPS charge pipe kit includes a connection to the stock throttle body. It prettty much replaces all the stock intercooler piping
 
OP
OP
SBX Performance

SBX Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tom
Joined
Mar 29, 2025
Threads
36
Messages
367
Reaction score
571
Location
Poughkeepsie
Website
www.sbxperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Honda Civic Type R
Just an FYI I came up with a solution for larger throttle bodies. I am currently testing it on my car that has a 74mm throttle body. Will be for sale soon they attach to PRL charge pipes

781426526_122175536132670452_4092139890664136557_n.webp


776497214_122175536120670452_7737118212378117419_n.webp
 

getRIGHT

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
341
Reaction score
549
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
FL5
The HPS charge pipe kit includes a connection to the stock throttle body. It prettty much replaces all the stock intercooler piping
Did you use any heat wrap on your charge pipes? I bought this same kit a while back and haven’t gotten around to putting them on yet but I have been mulling over the idea of wrapping the exposed metal pipes from heat soak. If that is even possible
 

AspecR

Senior Member
First Name
Stefan
Joined
Aug 23, 2022
Threads
14
Messages
2,387
Reaction score
3,774
Location
Florida
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Did you use any heat wrap on your charge pipes? I bought this same kit a while back and haven’t gotten around to putting them on yet but I have been mulling over the idea of wrapping the exposed metal pipes from heat soak. If that is even possible
Nope no heat wrap
Sponsored

 
 







Top