• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Winter hibernation,the bubble wrap will be removed ..it sits about 3 inches off the ground bye until spring.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
I understand that not all people have the means to garage a vehicle for long periods, but I and others do. I’m going to be garaging my car under these 2 conditions :

1. Salt on the roads.
2. Too cold to safely drive on the summer tires. I’d also prefer not to cause excessive wear or crack any sidewalls.

Otherwise I hope to get the car out periodically. I’ve only lived in central IL a bit over a year, but I think I’m just barely far enough away from the north that winters don’t get too harsh for too long.
Occasionally, we have -20 in Illinois, and more likely -10 being worst in central, but that only lasts a week or so and you are right - central IL is not [usually] that bad. It depends on the jet stream -- which looks okay right now for you -- you are generally below (south) of it this year.
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@1971Camaro Yeah, it seems I’m juuuuust enough south to avoid the crazy cold and long winters I had become accustomed to up north (SD and WI) for 10 years. Keeping my fingers crossed that I won’t actually need to put the car away for more than maybe 2-3 weeks at a time, but I’m pretty well prepared nonetheless. Hope this winter isn’t to harsh for you all up north. Really what got to me the most was the duration. The novelty wears off pretty fast after about the 3 month mark.😂

bbrunty15

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Accord, 2023 FL5 Civic Type R R-03525
I have been following this and another thread regarding winter storage and I wanted to give my thoughts but this is my first time storing/winterizing a car so I am open to other suggestions.

I live in NE Ohio and have made the decision to put the car away for the winter. I got an oil change and I deep cleaned it yesterday and sometime this week will officially put it away for the season. The "winterizing" measures I have decided to take are, trickle charger, flat spot stoppers (ramps), and OEM cover.

I recently purchased a trickle charger. I have found a safe way for the cables to go through the front grill. If anyone would have any reason to think this is a bad idea let me know. The cables have a quick disconnect that I can connect/disconnect outside of the car so I thought that was useful.

I contemplated for such a long time which flat spot stoppers to get and I found a brand that has a lot of positive reviews that were a $100 cheaper than Race Ramps so I took the gamble and purchased those. I haven't put the car on them yet and frankly I wont know the results until spring. It is worth noting that I will add some air to the tires to help with this as well.

The car cover seems to be an area that people are divided on and I can totally understand both sides. My thinking for the cover is this: While yes, my car will be garaged (attached to the house but not insulated) I want to put the cover on because of the foot traffic in and out of the garage. It's a little tight quarters in my garage and my thinking is with bringing in groceries or things like that the cover should be one measure to protect against accidental bumps and scrapes. Might be overkill but my thinking is it wont hurt.

If anyone would like the links to the trickle charger and/or ramps I would be happy to share those.

Here's to hoping for a super fast winter. I miss the car already!

OP
OP
CaryH

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
I wish they make a car cover with a some kind of access to the drivers side door, in a perfect world right...lol...so you can get into it start it up every few days,without removing half the cover.......and nice with the charger cables...... good idea .

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R

OP
OP
CaryH

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Daytona wheel dollys,#DPD-130..if you want to Google they are mobile and can roll around the car in the garage if need be.
11th Gen Honda Civic Winter hibernation,the bubble wrap will be removed ..it sits about 3 inches off the ground bye until spring. 20231106_123258

OP
OP
CaryH

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

bbrunty15

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@bbrunty15 I went with a Battery Tender based on features and reputation. Has quick disconnect too.
https://www.batterytender.com/plus?...-eOy29OkAXneBA8yvTscjYfeMdgCxdyRoCOUkQAvD_BwE
I’m interested in your flat spot stoppers. What did you get?

@CaryH I think you’re onto something there. People would definitely buy that if it existed.
Here is the link for the Flat Spot stoppers I picked up. They arrived the other day and while I haven't put the car on them yet they seem like they are a quality product. They have a good heft to them. Now the question is, how challenging will it be to get the car to back onto them. That appears to be the fun part!

https://www.amazon.com/Maxsa-37353-...20395&sprefix=flat+spot+s,aps,122&sr=8-3&th=1

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Here is the link for the Flat Spot stoppers I picked up. They arrived the other day and while I haven't put the car on them yet they seem like they are a quality product. They have a good heft to them. Now the question is, how challenging will it be to get the car to back onto them. That appears to be the fun part!

https://www.amazon.com/Maxsa-37353-...20395&sprefix=flat+spot+s,aps,122&sr=8-3&th=1
Excellent! Thank you! Think I’mma get a set of those. Very simple solution to help ease my brain about winter storage.🙂

What I would do is just park the car in the garage about a foot short of where I’d normally park, place those ramps against each tire, then just drive forward (or backward) onto them. As long as they stay in place as you drive onto them, you should be good to go. If you run into any problems, let us know.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
My thinking for the cover is this: While yes, my car will be garaged (attached to the house but not insulated) I want to put the cover on because of the foot traffic in and out of the garage. It's a little tight quarters in my garage and my thinking is with bringing in groceries or things like that the cover should be one measure to protect against accidental bumps and scrapes.
You're right on with the protection against traffic scrapes. And especially if it will be in a garage with other cars coming and going, the dust that accumulates is crazy. You don't notice it as much on other stuff but on a nice shiny car it only takes a few weeks and it's covered. Just gotta get a quality cover.

I would never, ever cover a car outdoors though. Even just wind flapping the cover a little can mutilate everything it's touching.

bbrunty15

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excellent! Thank you! Think I’mma get a set of those. Very simple solution to help ease my brain about winter storage.🙂

What I would do is just park the car in the garage about a foot short of where I’d normally park, place those ramps against each tire, then just drive forward (or backward) onto them. As long as they stay in place as you drive onto them, you should be good to go. If you run into any problems, let us know.
I think that’s exactly what I’m going to try this weekend. Some of the reviews said the ramps want to slide around some when driving onto them but I am not too worried. - will do, thanks!

OP
OP
CaryH

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes sir.

OP
OP
CaryH

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All excellent recommendations, gentlemen, enjoy!

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Occasionally, we have -20 in Illinois, and more likely -10 being worst in central, but that only lasts a week or so and you are right - central IL is not [usually] that bad. It depends on the jet stream -- which looks okay right now for you -- you are generally below (south) of it this year.
Okay - we hit -12 this week in chicagoland... wondering what you experienced there?

Car's been huddling in the garage all week as i work from home. So grateful i have that luxury... the Crosstrek's been in use by spouse all week. 🥶