• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Would you get manual in an ugly color?

sosueme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
I'd like to get some opinions from this community. I live near San Jose CA, and my driving is suburban with occasional shitty traffic. I enjoy driving and appreciate manual, but the vast majority of my driving is functional to get from point A to point B. I’m replacing a 2012 Mini S convertible w/ manual, that I drove and loved for 10 years except a few times a month when I was stuck in stop-and-go traffic on the highway or in the city.

I'm getting the 2022 Civic hatch in sport touring. Honda only offers the manual in sonic grey (a color I hate!), and in black and white (which are very boring for me). I love the boost blue, but hesitating because of the CVT.

There are no manuals available for a test drive near me. I have test-driven the CVT and it was fine, but I don't know if a 20 min test drive is a good indicator of how I will feel after a few years of ownership. Sometimes I tell myself to swallow my vomit and ignore the color to get the manual. Other times I tell myself the Honda CVT is pretty good, it comes with paddles, and I will see the color everyday. (I should mention that I have never actually owned an auto with paddles and only used them briefly on my short test drive.)

I don't replace my cars until I really have to, so I'm anxious about post-purchase regret. At the moment I'm leaning towards getting the blue color that I love, in CVT.

I know these are subjective trade-offs but it would help me to know how other people think about this. How would you guys choose between (a) manual in a color you hate, vs (b) a color you love in a CVT with paddles?
Sponsored

arpypat

First Name
Arpan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan ABM
I personally would go with getting the car that makes you happy to drive. I would hate my life driving a CVT, which is why I have an Si with 6mt.

I previously had a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Advance. That car had great power and a very nice interior, but I couldn't stand the AT. I actually sold that car and bought a 2005 Acura TL w 6MT just to row my own lol

dthanb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback
never own an AT/CVT, so i cant say. all my cars has been manual, it just more fun that way. im here in san diego so traffic aren't ususally bad, but if i was LA that's another story. sure miss my 94 vtec accord.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Keep the spirit alive and row your own. That's my subjective opinion. I couldn't own an auto myself, and fear the mt disappearing soon so enjoy it while it lasts!

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Get the MT and wrap it whatever color you want. Plus, it'll protect the factory paint come sale time

Acura_CSX_4eva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura Manual Transmission + Nav + Heated Leather
Wait until Type-R. I bet they're holding back on colors until that or even the new integra for whatever reason.

The Bad Guy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CBP Si Sedan, 06 G6, 15 Silverado
When you rev match just right.
11th Gen Honda Civic Would you get manual in an ugly color? thumb_when-you-see-the-amount-of-emperors-new-groove-memes-37649759

On a more serious note, i traded my EX-L coupe for an Si after getting unlucky in the CTR department and never looked back. The manual in our cars are buttery smooth and the ability to row gears during my daily work commutes makes travel even more enjoyable.

OP
OP

sosueme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Wow - thanks for all the responses!

What arpypat wrote makes sense: 'go with getting the car that makes you happy to drive'.

It's kinda eye-opening to see how you all are willing to sacrifice appearance & aesthetics. This is a tricky choice for me, and it's super helpful to get others' perspective.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)
Wow - thanks for all the responses!

What arpypat wrote makes sense: 'go with getting the car that makes you happy to drive'.

It's kinda eye-opening to see how you all are willing to sacrifice appearance & aesthetics. This is a tricky choice for me, and it's super helpful to get others' perspective.
You can get Boost Blue and a manual in the base Sport Hatch. However, that 2.0 NA engine might not be enough for you. Just some food for thought.

Steve182022

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic LX coupe, 6 spd; '20 Civic Sport sdn, 6
Maybe test drive the Sport hatchback 2.0 NA manual. Many more color choices. Neither manual Civic is fast. The Sport may be fast enough for you.

I probably won't buy an Si because I want silver. Will wait to see Integra color options.

Color is a big deal to me.

OP
OP

sosueme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
You can get Boost Blue and a manual in the base Sport Hatch. However, that 2.0 NA engine might not be enough for you. Just some food for thought.
Sigh that's true but I definitely want the engine and features of the sport touring.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Just a different point of view...

So, I've been driving forever and likely before 99% of you were born. 90% of my cars have been manuals and of course a manual is super engaging.

Having said that, I currently drive a tuned CVT turbo model. Especially tuned, it's fun even with the CVT.

I couldn't imagine buying a car in a color I don't really love. Sure, I get the desire to go manual, that's an emotional choice, but so is a car's appearance.

So OP, if you love Boost Blue, at least test drive the Sport Touring CVT with paddles for a longer drive. Try it out in S mode. If you hate it, do what others have suggested.

Another manual hatch option is the upcoming Integra.
Sponsored