Sponsored

Market for a more extreme Type R variant

optronix

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2023
Threads
2
Messages
736
Reaction score
1,118
Location
Mid-Atlantic
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS, 2025 Miata Club BBR
Good post.

The HRC prototypes didn’t go far enough for me and looked more like body kits.

I would not want Honda to act like Porsche. When I wanted to purchase a new 991.2 GT3RS they would not sell me a car. I had to buy a used GT3RS with a few hundred miles on it. I had problems trying to buy a 991.1 GT3 new, and a GT4RS.

The way to do a special edition is to produce enough that they aren’t impossible to get but not so many they’re sitting on lots. Ducati announced the Desmosidici RR in a limited number and then later upped it. Prices were high for a while but I could have gotten one at MSRP. When I purchased an 1199R they required a few discussions with the dealer but worked with me and made the process seamless. Honda COULD do this if they wanted to but you’re likely right, they won’t.
Exactly; the HRC cars would have been easy to execute and they still were just like "lol nvm".

I didn't want to go there but you did. Porsche is a shit show, and at this point everyone can point and laugh. Porsche basically now EXCLUSIVELY only builds sports cars for rich people with far more money than sense, and they keep shifting farther to that extreme with every passing year. It all started when I put a deposit down on a fucking 992.1 Carrera S with an MSRP north of $160k (yes, I had it spec'd with PCCBs 🤡 I didn't buy it.). But now even a lightly optioned 992.2 Carrera T is a $150k car. At this point in time it's still a fantastic car don't get me wrong but it's like... the last car that can be labeled as such they make that's even remotely accessible. The only other ones that even come to mind are the mid-engine RS cars and you already described the problem there- and I admittedly gave up on Porsche about 2 years ago so my info might be old but unless you "know a guy" (i.e., have bought several GT cars from the same salesperson), expect to pay $75k markup and/or find one used for over MSRP. It's stupid but if they only make JUST ENOUGH of them, they can justify the exorbitant prices AND markups.

/rant

In any case, this logic isn't exclusive to Porsche, they've just perfected it. Honda just chooses not to engage in this game. I think it's rooted in their core philosophy... or they just don't have time to be bothered by cooking up ways to get their richest customers to all but murder each other for the privilege of overpaying.

Sorry, [/rant]
Sponsored

 

Sporky McGeuschky

Senior Member
First Name
Sporky
Joined
Feb 21, 2025
Threads
7
Messages
592
Reaction score
563
Location
Central Texas
Vehicle(s)
'25 Civic Type R, Dory Blue and Satin White
Build Thread
Link
Porsche is a shit show, and at this point everyone can point and laugh.
Yup. Porsche is exactly this.

I remember in 2014 seeing a one-off concept build of a Toyota FRS Targa (Pop Top, as I call them), with a louvred rear windshield, and on wide body hips... and I just about instantly jizzed my draws.
Shit was cherry.

Thinking back then: "NOW we're talkin', man! I would totally pay $34,000.00 for that dream build!"

Then a few years later, Porsche released a "New" 911 Targa.
You know, Porsche, the original company who INVENTED the 911 Targa, back in the 1960s?

I think the new Targa was around 2019? / 2020? ... and for how much money???
I can't remember now because it doesn't matter.
It was in the Zillions. Way over the top.

Yeah. They dunn Fckked It Up. Fully loaded with extra electrical and mechanical moving parts to make the Targa, yes, the:

"Just hop out of the car, pop one side, pop the other side, slap it in the boot
(or, the "frunk"... or was it "fronnett?"), and we're on our way!
" Targa...​

extra heavy... for why???

Shit, back in the day, you could probably roll up the roof, stuff it in a cardboard tube, and carry it around over your shoulder like blueprints.

Yeah, no. Not anymore.
Now it's one of these lazy mechanical auto "Spyder style" convertible doohickeys. Not even a Targa.
Just extra. Just because.

Any and all boot space? Gone.
Any and all potential Targa weight savings? UNO Reversed.
Any and all "weight-saved performance"? Shalt not exist.

Porsche completely lost the plot.

The whole point of a Targa is to be a light weight, and completely manual pop top, like the ole Civic Del Sol!!!
R.I.P. Civic Del Sol.

(Honda, we're stiiilll waiting on the S2000 Del Sol. Hellooo, McFly?
Friggin' Energizer Bunny over here, eating a Snickers... stiiilll waiting.

Sheeit, Mazda finally did it. Honda can, too.)​

A Targa is not supposed to be loaded to the hilt with extra electrical, extra moving parts, and extra weight. It should be the exact opposite. Less is more.

1960s, anyone? Remember?
... Porsche, maybe?
No?

WTF, Porsche?

Shock therapy for the top brass will commence, and continue, until design improves.

Dismissed.


P.S. :
Speaking of Honda coupes, don't even get me started on the Gheylude --- uhh, I mean, Prelude.
Two words:
"Girl car".
 

AZCWTypeR

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2024
Threads
6
Messages
516
Reaction score
415
Location
Yavapi County, AZ
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
The FL5 is as hard core as I'll go and even then I'm using the ITS damper module.

Having driven MG's, 308's, 911's, S2000's, I prefer the slow car fast feel vs. Corvette ZR1 for example. I have a Superbike for warp speed stuff.
 
OP
OP
CG13

CG13

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2024
Threads
6
Messages
137
Reaction score
148
Location
Houston
Vehicle(s)
2024 FL5 Civic Type R
The FL5 is as hard core as I'll go and even then I'm using the ITS damper module.

Having driven MG's, 308's, 911's, S2000's, I prefer the slow car fast feel vs. Corvette ZR1 for example. I have a Superbike for warp speed stuff.
What I described here (400 hp and 2900 lb) would be on the 911 end of the spectrum rather than ZR1.

I didn’t find the stock suspension module hard core, rather just poorly calibrated. I switched to the ITS because +R on my local track felt dangerous because the car would skip roughly over bumps, causing traction loss and loss of confidence in braking zones and corners. I nicely tuned set of coilovers would be ideal. I had the exact same problem with my Focus RS- solved with KW coilovers. They made the car more hard core AND more fun AND more comfortable.
Sponsored

 
 







Top