• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
You know, it might be the Accord TypeR

edit: excuse my poor photoshop lol

2022-11thgen-Civic-Type-R-22HondaCivicTpR.s09.KGP.jpg

2022-11thgen-Civic-Type-R-22HondaCivicTpR.s09.png

Comparisons like this just don't work. With the simple fact of we don't know the wheel base, you can't just go matching wheel positions/wheel wells with what already exists.
Sponsored

JT Si

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MSM Civic Si
Comparisons like this just don't work. With the simple fact of we don't know the wheel base, you can't just go matching wheel positions/wheel wells with what already exists.
Assuming the rear brake rotor is 12" (same size as the current Civic Type R) the wheelbase is just over 4% longer, or around 111 inches (which happens to be about the Accord wheelbase).

Keep in mind there's a pretty large margin of error however I doubt the margin of error is large enough to explain the difference.

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR(Sold), 19 TLX, 21 Veloster N
Assuming the rear brake rotor is 12" (same size as the current Civic Type R) the wheelbase is just over 4% longer, or around 111 inches (which happens to be about the Accord wheelbase).

Keep in mind there's a pretty large margin of error however I doubt the margin of error is large enough to explain the difference.
It's never a good idea to use a photo for measuring things because of the distortion that happens inevitably.

JT Si

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MSM Civic Si
It's never a good idea to use a photo for measuring things because of the distortion that happens inevitably.
That's why I found the closest Type R photo I could for angle, distance, and field of view, and calculated a ratio for the distortion of the wheelbase since it is a known value.

As I said. Obviously the margin for error is large but I'm pretty sure it doesn't account for the difference.

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR(Sold), 19 TLX, 21 Veloster N
Here's my take on the Accord theory.

First of all, this is NOT the type-R version of 2020 Accord. I'm 100% sure about that.
It is a 5 door hatchback. Body lines, while similar, are not identical.
"Similar" isn't enough. It has to be IDENTICAL to be the same car.
NONE of the interior pieces are even close to the accord's either.
Mirrors are completely different as well.
Also, Honda won't simply make a 5 door type-R variant of the accord.
It's waste of money.
CTR is 5 door only because there's hatchback variant of Civic.
If they didn't have the Civic hatch, the Type-R would have been Coupe or Sedan.

However, it's still possible that this is related to 10th gen Accord.
Front door and the Windshield are the two most obvious things that stay the same in Facelift/MMC.
It's hard to see how the windshield looks like and the door looks close, I guess.

1. Accord MMC Hatchback/Type-R
Let's say Honda decided to bring back the 5 door Accord for the refresh for some reason.
I don't see Honda dropping Accord Sedan so those new parts will be installed on the sedan too.
The thing is, that is a big change, and Honda doesn't do that.
Look at Honda's recent refreshes. It was mostly bumpers, lights and some new trim pieces.
This means new lights, bumpers, fenders, doors, mirrors, dashboard, door trim, etc.

2. Honda wants European Accord.
Maybe it's European Accord based on 10th gen Accord.
With more premium interior and different exterior design, and of course, with a hatch.
However, it's really hard to sell midsize cars in Europe.
Even European brands struggle with that.

3. A new model that sits between Civic and Accord
Maybe Honda wants a sporty high performance hatchback based on Accord.
Why? I don't know.

I know these are very unlikely scenarios.
But these are the only way I see how that test mule is an accord.

Or it can just be a 11th gen civic, or something completely different.

Daniel776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring
Look at Honda's recent refreshes. It was mostly bumpers, lights and some new trim pieces.
This means new lights, bumpers, fenders, doors, mirrors, dashboard, door trim, etc.
Honestly I thought the same thing. Honda never makes big changes between cycles, the Pilot keeps looking like crap, and all they do is change the lights and the rims. The new Accord launched in 2018 and its selling "decent" enough, that a huge change (a la 2016 civic) isn't likely.

It will probably be the new Civic, they are probably trying to save costs and using parts from the accord.

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR, 2002 EBP RSX
Because this is being teased/developed before the 11th gen base model civics, I really think What we are seeing here is the birth of a SH-AWD ILX Type S.

EmpEuroR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK7 5Dr Civic Sport - White Orchid Pearl
im getting Dodge Charger/Ford 'Stang vibes from this...

arpypat

First Name
Arpan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan ABM
Because this is being teased/developed before the 11th gen base model civics, I really think What we are seeing here is the birth of a SH-AWD ILX Type S.
I also think it could potentially be a performance variant of the ILX. Probably not an accord since that body style just came out in 2018. It still could be a 2022 CTR judging by the front bumper design.

Zavage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6, Honda Accord CU1( Acura TSX 2nd Gen)
With more premium interior and different exterior design, and of course, with a hatch.
There won't be any future European Accord (and will never be). The European Accords have been in the 80/90s US Accords and are sold in the 00s/10s as relabeled Acura TSXs. As most European car buyers in the "Accord" segment tend to buy BMW 3 series, Mercedes C class, Audi A4 etc., the sales of the Accord dropped to nearly zero in 2015. So Honda Europe with probably the worst - better non exisiting - marketing decided to cancel it.

Last edited:

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
I was getting Stinger vibes in the back.
Yup, and I like that circle concept because I by chance (what I could get in stock) went with round neon light look tinted OPT7 tail lights.
These don’t look Stinger by any means but seem closer look wise than Gen 10 OEM from pics I’ve seen compared to Gen XI.
11th Gen Honda Civic 11th GEN CIVIC TYPE R SPIED!! D012FDD7-DC35-4575-80D6-730F41F2C384

ManualOnly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Here's my take on the Accord theory.

First of all, this is NOT the type-R version of 2020 Accord. I'm 100% sure about that.
It is a 5 door hatchback. Body lines, while similar, are not identical.
"Similar" isn't enough. It has to be IDENTICAL to be the same car.
NONE of the interior pieces are even close to the accord's either.
Mirrors are completely different as well.
Also, Honda won't simply make a 5 door type-R variant of the accord.
It's waste of money.
CTR is 5 door only because there's hatchback variant of Civic.
If they didn't have the Civic hatch, the Type-R would have been Coupe or Sedan.

However, it's still possible that this is related to 10th gen Accord.
Front door and the Windshield are the two most obvious things that stay the same in Facelift/MMC.
It's hard to see how the windshield looks like and the door looks close, I guess.

1. Accord MMC Hatchback/Type-R
Let's say Honda decided to bring back the 5 door Accord for the refresh for some reason.
I don't see Honda dropping Accord Sedan so those new parts will be installed on the sedan too.

3. A new model that sits between Civic and Accord
Maybe Honda wants a sporty high performance hatchback based on Accord.
Why? I don't know.

I know these are very unlikely scenarios.
But these are the only way I see how that test mule is an accord.

Or it can just be a 11th gen civic, or something completely different.
"The thing is, that is a big change, and Honda doesn't do that."
There are many HP versions of the 1.5L used in the Civic/Civic Si & Accord. For some unknown reason, Honda uses a different clutch plate for most of them.
It is completely stupid. They should have used the clutch plate from the Civic Si for all of the 1.5L since it has the highest HP.
It will definitely hold up under the lower HP versions.

I've written to Honda, & they agreed.

This is basic common sense, & I would have expected more from Honda.
There's many things I dislike about my 2019 2-Door Civic Si, & many things I like about it, but the quality & attention to detail is below Honda standards they had in the 1970s & 1980s.

So, Honda doesn't use the same parts across models/trims even though they should. It would cut their development cost a lot.

ManualOnly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe