• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
I can't remember what car it was, but back in the 80's my parents had a car that had similar joysticks to control the air vents. I've been thinking about it for days but still can't recollect what car it was. Frustrated. Google hasn't helped either. ?
Sponsored

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport Touring 6MT
If they can manage to sell a Type R with only a low volume manual transmission they can sell a Si hatch with a manual as well. Honda can do it...people will buy it...they know it too...the question is do they want to do it.
The Type R is a very, very, different car compared to the Si and the Type R is also a global model, where the Si is strictly North American. It's also their halo car and they use it to set FWD records and other similar things. The Type R also doesn't seem to really depreciate even 3-4 years later, whereas the Si has a normal depreciation curve.

Honda will do whatever they think will sell (or not sell, like when they got rid of the coupe). I personally don't think an Si hatch would be worth it unless they give it GTI power, but I really hope they do. If it has the same relatively boring 205HP but in hatchback form, I think the GTI would still be more compelling for a lot of prospective buyers. The existing Sport Touring hatchback 6MT was already ~80% of an Si hatch with more interior features, only ~20 less HP and no LSD. Honda is going to need to differentiate them more than that if they want volume sales, at least in my opinion.

I probably would have saved $15K CAD and bought an Si hatch instead of my Type R if it had a bit more power and obviously the hatch, but the R is pretty awesome too haha.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Here's the only fly in the ointment to an Si hatch...

With the shift to SUV's, carmakers are dropping car models left and right. For the 11th, Honda has dropped some models like the EX-L and all coupes.

Based on that, you'd have an entry level LX hatch and upgraded EX. A Sport and Sport Touring model too. Adding an Si hatch would definitely cut into both the Sport and Sport Touring models to an extent.

If there was an Si hatch, I think they'd have to drop the Sport model and maybe have a lineup like this: LX, EX, Si, Touring. And honestly, that lineup would make a ton of sense, IMO.

evped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic EXL
11 2022 Honda Civic Sedan Sport.jpg

I just can't put my finger on it but I've seen that steering wheel pod and that dash style before:

iu-1.jpeg

Wait a minute, I remember now - the Honda E City car! - (Minus the wrap around display)
Do I see a sunglasses holder in the '22 Civic?

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
I don’t think there will be a sport touring hatch this time around because of the possible Si hatch. The sedan and hatch trim lines will mirror eachother. Just look at it this way, the accord sport model comes in the base sport, and the upgraded 2.0T sport (with EX features). The civic would adopt this idea, having the base sport 2.0 and then the upgraded EX based Si models. An Si hatch isn’t going to touch CTR sales, that’s a totally different car. And it probably wouldn’t effect sport trim sales either, again, price point matters for most people. Also, given the % of sales that the hatches made up for the 10th gen, they performed better than the coupes, and there was still an Si coupe. So I think it just makes sense to offer both sedan and hatch Si models, especially if Honda really means to position the hatch as the sporty offering. I also think this new structure of trims, the loss the EXL in the price structure, and looking at the accord sport models, gives at least some possibility of the new Si models offering an auto option for the first time, and having a few extras features over the regular EX trim (kind of splitting the difference between the ex and touring).

all we can do is speculate at this point. But an Si hatch with an auto option is the only thing that’s gonna push me in an 11th gen at this point. Otherwise I’ll keep my 10th gen coupe and wait for something better to come along.

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's the only fly in the ointment to an Si hatch...

With the shift to SUV's, carmakers are dropping car models left and right. For the 11th, Honda has dropped some models like the EX-L and all coupes.

Based on that, you'd have an entry level LX hatch and upgraded EX. A Sport and Sport Touring model too. Adding an Si hatch would definitely cut into both the Sport and Sport Touring models to an extent.

If there was an Si hatch, I think they'd have to drop the Sport model and maybe have a lineup like this: LX, EX, Si, Touring. And honestly, that lineup would make a ton of sense, IMO.
I like this idea - drop the Sport/Sport Touring, add an Si hatch and give it a Touring trim option. It would serve to simplify their lineup as well. The only thing I think they would be forced to do at that point is add an automatic transmission option.

Another vehicle I really wanted was the Fit with a 1.5T, but not only did that not happen but they got rid of the Fit altogether. Maybe the new HRV could have a sporty model, but I won't hold my breath haha.

Acura_CSX_4eva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura Manual Transmission + Nav + Heated Leather
@ CanadaCivic believe it or not, in Europe for several years (model years 2018 - 2021) the Honda HRV had a sport 1.5T option with a 6 speed manual and panoramic roof with leather interior etc..! Now that I would've bought in a heartbeat.

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@ CanadaCivic believe it or not, in Europe for several years (model years 2018 - 2021) the Honda HRV had a sport 1.5T option with a 6 speed manual and panoramic roof with leather interior etc..! Now that I would've bought in a heartbeat.
Damn, I didn't know that. That sounds like an awesome little vehicle. I'd have bought my Wife one of those for sure (so I could use it too lol).

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
The Type R is a very, very, different car compared to the Si and the Type R is also a global model, where the Si is strictly North American. It's also their halo car and they use it to set FWD records and other similar things. The Type R also doesn't seem to really depreciate even 3-4 years later, whereas the Si has a normal depreciation curve.

Honda will do whatever they think will sell (or not sell, like when they got rid of the coupe). I personally don't think an Si hatch would be worth it unless they give it GTI power, but I really hope they do. If it has the same relatively boring 205HP but in hatchback form, I think the GTI would still be more compelling for a lot of prospective buyers. The existing Sport Touring hatchback 6MT was already ~80% of an Si hatch with more interior features, only ~20 less HP and no LSD. Honda is going to need to differentiate them more than that if they want volume sales, at least in my opinion.

I probably would have saved $15K CAD and bought an Si hatch instead of my Type R if it had a bit more power and obviously the hatch, but the R is pretty awesome too haha.
I don't think the fastback Civic hatch competes with the GTI, especially without $7-8k discounts on the GTI, which seem to be gone.

If Honda thought it was worth making an Si coupe, then knowing the hatch is a more popular body style, it makes sense to make an Si hatch.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
I like this idea - drop the Sport/Sport Touring, add an Si hatch and give it a Touring trim option. It would serve to simplify their lineup as well. The only thing I think they would be forced to do at that point is add an automatic transmission option.

Another vehicle I really wanted was the Fit with a 1.5T, but not only did that not happen but they got rid of the Fit altogether. Maybe the new HRV could have a sporty model, but I won't hold my breath haha.
If the Si gets an auto option then yeah, I think they might drop the Touring or make it an Si Touring.

Saywhaat04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
I don't think the fastback Civic hatch competes with the GTI, especially without $7-8k discounts on the GTI, which seem to be gone.

If Honda thought it was worth making an Si coupe, then knowing the hatch is a more popular body style, it makes sense to make an Si hatch.
Exactly

mcaloway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Touring Hatchback
Do we have any idea when the 2022 Hatchbacks will hit the dealerships?

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Nobody is comparing a regular Civic hatch to a GTI. Just saying that if they want a hypothetical Si Hatch to be successful, they need to give it GTI levels of power instead of 20Hp more than the base Hatch which is barely noticeable.