• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

StickShiftRoy

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 SGP Sport (sold), 22 BOP Si
"The most obvious differentiator is in how things feel and the impression they give. The Corolla's exterior door handles feel flimsy, and the door sounds hollow when you close it. The turn signal stalk feels and sounds like it's going to snap off in your hand when you use it. The materials are fine for a car at this price point, but Honda didn't settle for fine. Everything you touch, pull, push, or twist in the Civic feels like it was borrowed from a more expensive car."

"Of the cars in this particular test, the Civic's sticker was $210 more than the Corolla's. If it were $2,100 more, it would still be worth choosing the Honda."

Yup

OP
OP

Saywhaat04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
No doubt the Civic is nice. I'd rather have seen a comparison to a Mazda 3 versus a lame ass Corolla though.
Lately MT has been doing 1 on 1 comparison tests like daily then at the end of the week, they have one big comparison test comparing them all. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the Civic individually compared to all of them then put together in one big test to see how they all rank.

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
That’s a low bar to clear, TBH. Should’ve compared it to a more premium loaded Mazda3.

alic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
I was gonna buy a Corolla hatchback since it felt pretty fun to drive (comparing to the sedan version and my previous SUV). But after test driving a 10th gen Civic the Corolla was completely off the list. Not to mention the interior of the new Civic is even better than the 10th gen.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
I was gonna buy a Corolla hatchback since it felt pretty fun to drive (comparing to the sedan version and my previous SUV). But after test driving a 10th gen Civic the Corolla was completely off the list. Not to mention the interior of the new Civic is even better than the 10th gen.
Patience young Skywalker.

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Civic SMOKES the Corolla in Motor Trend Comparison Review qpvt4yzl5cm6qjt3xuza

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
"No doubt the Civic is nice. I'd rather have seen a comparison to a Mazda 3 versus a lame ass Corolla though."

Mazda 3 is a modest, minor irritant for Civic and Corolla.

YTD Sales
Corolla 155.5K units
Civic 153.0K
Mazda 3 21.6K

Corolla and Civic each sold more than 7 times what Mazda sold.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
"No doubt the Civic is nice. I'd rather have seen a comparison to a Mazda 3 versus a lame ass Corolla though."

YTD Sales
Corolla 155.5K units
Civic 153.0K
Mazda 3 21.6K

Lol. My comment wasn't in regard to sales. Just a more competent vehicle.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Apparently they aren't losing many sales to the more competent vehicle.

Mazda 3 is so successful it's being outsold by:

Corolla
Civic
Sentra 77.9K units
Elantra 74.1K
Forte 62.2K
Jetta 43.0K

Even the Volkswagen Jetta doubled the sales of the Mazda 3.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line

YTD Sales
Corolla 155.5K units
Civic 153.0K
Mazda 3 21.6K

Mazda did sell 75k Mazda3s in 2017. I think the new model has been a disaster. Not sure why though.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
In late 2019 we went shopping for either a Civic Sport HB or Corolla HB. My wife preferred the Corolla because it was less radical and a good deal smaller. At that time, the then-new Corolla HB did seem nicer (to us) than the 10G Civic, although I liked the Sport HB for different reasons (hate both cars in sedan).
Oddly, I found both cars to be slow to me. Quite surprised to see the butt-whooping the 11G Civic put on the Corolla. I hear that the 10G is even quicker than the 11G, too. Just didn't seem that way on the test drive.

The 11G Civic interior absolutely destroys everything else in the class. I love the real metal honeycomb dash insert. Can't wait to see the HB. Also glad my wife prefers her Corolla, or else we'd be looking to trade out. I'd rather have the 11G Civic HB. Gonna keep an eye on the upcoming Type R........

jimmybean123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchvback Sport
Mazda did sell 75k Mazda3s in 2017. I think the new model has been a disaster. Not sure why though.
I am not sure, maybe historic reliability record and overall marketing of Toyota when it comes to Corolla and I am guessing size when it comes to Civic. Mazda 3 hatch is a much smaller car inside than Civic, and is designed more with a cockpit feel. For a day to day use, I like that Civic feels substantially roomier and spacious inside. But Corolla compared to Mazda 3 (and IMO many other older cars) looks like a joke and overall feels like it should cost $15K and not $25K (XSE trim).
Sponsored