• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Transmission fluid change

em804

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic EX, 1996 TL
Hey everyone!

This is my first CVT vehicle and looking through the owner's manual and there is nothing about transmission fluid besides not to check or change it yourself. Is this common on CVT transmissions? This can't be right?

Here is a link to the owner's manual page regarding transmission fluid:

Sponsored

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
It seems odd that they recommend taking it to a dealer for a fluid check. That said, unless the fluid is leaking on the ground you shouldn't have to check it.

Give the community here a little time and there will be all kinds of guides on how to check and change the fluid yourself. The first fluid change is out pretty far though, something like 30k+ miles. The maintenance minder will let you know when.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Changing the fluid is probably easier than an oil change. Although arguably there could be an extra step of measuring exactly what you removed so you can replace with that amount. But then that saves you from having to level and use the check bolt.

I definitely disobeyed the 11th gen manual by using non-Honda fluid. Good thing I have a 10th gen. :D

FWIW, I've used both Valvoline CVT and Eneos (napa) Model H. I swap every 15k. No probs yet.

mondreyt

First Name
Edmond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I thought the fluid needs to be changed at 24k.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought the fluid needs to be changed at 24k.
I believe it's every 30k, but I change it every 3 oil changes (3x5k=15k) only because I'm hard on my CVT. (No tune though, so I guess I'm not that hard)

tomc

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Integra GSR / 2022 Civic Sport Hatch
I believe it's every 30k, but I change it every 3 oil changes (3x5k=15k) only because I'm hard on my CVT. (No tune though, so I guess I'm not that hard)
It is about every 30k miles. You will see a Minder "3" come up with your oil change minder around that time. Honda CVTs are also pretty durable, I haven't seen a single Civic in the shop need a transmission yet, at any mileage. Or really any model with a CVT. We see some 10th gen Civics, newer Accords etc with over 100k miles.

bguttery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan Touring
It is about every 30k miles. You will see a Minder "3" come up with your oil change minder around that time. Honda CVTs are also pretty durable, I haven't seen a single Civic in the shop need a transmission yet, at any mileage. Or really any model with a CVT. We see some 10th gen Civics, newer Accords etc with over 100k miles.
I must be unlucky then. I have a 2022 Touring and they had to replace the transmission at 4,000 miles.

OP
OP

em804

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic EX, 1996 TL
I must be unlucky then. I have a 2022 Touring and they had to replace the transmission at 4,000 miles.
They had to replace the transmission or the change the transmission fluid?

tomc

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is definitely unlucky, wow. It must have had some internal defect from manufacturing. Never seen a CVT even let go, let alone that quickly.

bguttery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan Touring
That is definitely unlucky, wow. It must have had some internal defect from manufacturing. Never seen a CVT even let go, let alone that quickly.
Yeah, made me nervous for a while to even gently press the gas on the new one.

My luck with this car so far has been pretty bad. I had someone rear end me two days ago in the car wash….literally, INSIDE the car wash!

tomc

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

My luck with this car so far has been pretty bad. I had someone rear end me two days ago in the car wash….literally, INSIDE the car wash!
No way man that's awful! Hopefully nothing major happened there, and at least you're alright. Was it like one of those automatic car washes?

Also I'm super curious about what Honda had to say about the CVT failure, having not seen one over here yet. Do you still have a copy of the repair order with the technician's notes/explanation of the failure?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, 22' Hatch Touring on order

What went bad that you had to have it replaced?!

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know with Honda CVT's you have to be at a complete dead stop before shifting from R to D. Any lingering movement is playing with fire.
Sponsored