• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

This can’t be right?!?!? ? Automatic Type R??

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X2 M35i
6MT exclusivity keeps the car rather uncommon and special feeling. I think it’s cool AF that Honda still caters to the enthusiast to some level in sacrifice of profit. But that’s been going out the window for a few years now.

I’ll be upset if they offer an automatic type R, but it wouldn’t be surprising at this point.
The thing is and I agree that having a manual on both models is more exclusive, I do think I’m some capacity not offering a Auto for Si and R hurts honda for sales. Sure the FK8 sales a lot even with the ridiculous Mark Ups but offering the Auto on the FL chassis would be substantially better for sales. Think about this, if the competition from both Hyundai and VW are heating up against honda that some Honda Si/R owners have shifted to either brand because they offer a DCT really should open Honda’s eyes up and offer a DCT on both trims. Marketing wise as well as taking back those previous Honda owners could help a lot with sales.
Sponsored

turbomike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Honda Canda - West, the track, not in your DMs
Vehicle(s)
23 FL5 CTR, 22 MDX-S, 20 FK8 CTR
I can't justify seeing the R with a DCT but if Honda does go with it, as long as it's not the gutless cvt I think everyone will be fine

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 SGP FK7, ‘20 PWP FC1 si, ‘22 LSM FE2 (soon)
So if this is indeed true, what would the projected production ratio be? The “regular” civics, it’s more difficult/rare to come across a manual. Would it be the other way around to find an auto for the Si/R? Would it be 1:1?

To be honest, I don’t like the idea. #savethemanuals

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (Sonic Gray Pearl)
It would be nice to have a choice of an auto on a CTR. I injured my arms at work and I can no longer drive a manual since my injury is repetitive motion injury, driving a manual would cause it to flare up badly.

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
I think that the Auto is mainly due for the Euro market and their emissions. If you compare the Golf R, Euro only gets them in automatics and USA in manual only.

adc3132

@sheesh_and_destroy
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Just look at the Accord 2.0 Turbo... 10 speed auto and pulls like a champ.
Stage 3 tune on one of those bad boys bone stock allllmost keeps up with catless dp + intake, no tune CTR... Not bad at all man.

I think the market of new drivers who want to learn manual is getting smaller with each passing generation of car as well. The CTR audience is definitely wide ranging, but I think it skews more to the younger generation so it would makes sense that at some point Honda makes it accessible for those that don't want to drive a manual. Just keep us in mind and have an option for a manual there Honda ;)

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R; 2024 Honda Civic Touring
Just look at the Accord 2.0 Turbo... 10 speed auto and pulls like a champ.
I have a 2021 Type R and a 2018 2.0 T Accord 10 AT.
The Type R might be able to beat the Accord in a launch, but it would be close, even with only 252 HP and all-season tires in the Accord.
If you took the 10AT, added an LSD, and tightened up the shifts, it would make a killer Type R option.
In the 10AT, 10th is VERY long. The Accord is turning 1900 RPM in 10th at 80 MPH. Long distance cruising in a Type R with this transmission would be very pleasant.

Last edited:

mammamia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
I assume this would be the same auto, probably DCT that will go on the more powerful/sporty integra trims

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X2 M35i
I think that the Auto is mainly due for the Euro market and their emissions. If you compare the Golf R, Euro only gets them in automatics and USA in manual only.
Golf R’s in the US have DCT’s they aren’t manual only.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
"may dilute the rarity of the R"

If you want one for the performance why is rarity important to you?

If you want a manual and it's available why do you care if it's also available as an automatic?

arpypat

First Name
Arpan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan ABM
"may dilute the rarity of the R"

If you want one for the performance why is rarity important to you?

If you want a manual and it's available why do you care if it's also available as an automatic?
We only care because of #savethemanuals

If the take rate is disproportionately leaning towards automatics, then manufacturers slowly stop offering the manual counterparts. Even BMW stopped offering manual cars in America, besides being optional only on the M2/M3/M4

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
We only care because of #savethemanuals

If the take rate is disproportionately leaning towards automatics, then manufacturers slowly stop offering the manual counterparts. Even BMW stopped offering manual cars in America, besides being optional only on the M2/M3/M4
The take rate on Type R manuals will be just as strong even if they have an automatic option.

Take the WRX as an example. Since they've offered the CVT option, there's still a 90% take rate on manuals.

All we're talking about is Honda offering an automatic option, not eliminating manual transmissions.

IMO offering an automatic option in any model doesn't take away from the prestige or quality of it. The Type R will always be a great car no matter what.
Sponsored