• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Don't be this guy!

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I've assembled some highlights of my experience at OktoberFast at VIR, but I also show some bloopers at the end. Made some new friends while I was there that I got to run around the track with (White Porsche's). HPDE track etiquette is super important. The bloopers in the end show some crazy stuff that shouldn't ever happen!

Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
🤣🤣🤣That part where like 5 cars looked like they were using adaptive cruise control!

Good job staying level and in control despite the d-bags actively trying to ruin your fun and create unnecessary stress.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
🤣🤣🤣That part where like 5 cars looked like they were using adaptive cruise control!

Good job staying level and in control despite the d-bags actively trying to ruin your fun and create unnecessary stress.
It was excessive, dude! I've never used my horn on track ever before!

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
I’ve never ran with NASA before. Only SCDA and SCCA. Both regionally are fine. Obviously you’ll get times where people don’t let you pass but it seems like they get spoken to and doesn’t happen in the following session. Does NASA not break drivers into classes by experience? The best events I’ve been to has been time trials where it’s almost impossible to hit traffic.
On to more important things, so when you ran the heat, are talking about full blast? I usually turn off the fan.

scuderia_miso

First Name
Teddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, FA5, AP2
This is terrible, looks like a beginner group. I am angry just watching this! Isn't there a more advanced group you can run in?

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I’ve never ran with NASA before. Only SCDA and SCCA. Both regionally are fine. Obviously you’ll get times where people don’t let you pass but it seems like they get spoken to and doesn’t happen in the following session. Does NASA not break drivers into classes by experience? The best events I’ve been to has been time trials where it’s almost impossible to hit traffic.
On to more important things, so when you ran the heat, are talking about full blast? I usually turn off the fan.
NASA does divide the field into skill level groupings. It's highly likely that a good portion of the field was cleared to proceed to HPDE2 from HPDE1. I believe that many of those folks weren't quite ready to be out there on their own. In the other clubs I run with Im in HPDE3, and NASA won't take that experience and place me. Instead I had to start allllll the way from the bottom. Next event with them I'll be in HPDE3.

As for the heat, yes, I run it on full blast; fan and all.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
This is terrible, looks like a beginner group. I am angry just watching this! Isn't there a more advanced group you can run in?
I'll be in HPDE3 at the next event. I was in HPDE2 for this event.

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
This is why I run with the PCA black group when I go to track days (not yet with the FL5, but plan to in the Spring). I just have no trust with these others and have seen my share of idiots doing dangerous stuff out there that it's not worth the risk. You can take any car you want as long as you are a PCA member, which I've been now for 20 years.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
This whole vid gives me anxiety and pisses me off. I may avoid going to VIR after seeing this, because I can't imagine after a 5 hour+ drive to have this crap waiting for me. Wow.

That Turbo S isn't innocent either. Fast car, slow driver... he'd leave you in the straights so I get wanting to let him pass, but he actively held you up in the corners (even without traffic). Was there an opportunity to pull in for half a lap and get away from him?

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
It’s not always like this. It has to do with the club on how they place people and number of entrants for the event. When you have 3 classes, novice, intermediate and advance, it’s going to happen. There will be overlap.

I very much want to go to VIR but it’s like a 8 hrs drive for me. Which means I would need to stay overnight before and after track day.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
It’s not always like this. It has to do with the club on how they place people and number of entrants for the event. When you have 3 classes, novice, intermediate and advance, it’s going to happen. There will be overlap.

I very much want to go to VIR but it’s like a 8 hrs drive for me. Which means I would need to stay overnight before and after track day.
I stay overnight when I'm there. It's worth the drive. One of the top 3 most technical tracks in the country. A lot of what you learn at VIR can be applied elsewhere.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
This whole vid gives me anxiety and pisses me off. I may avoid going to VIR after seeing this, because I can't imagine after a 5 hour+ drive to have this crap waiting for me. Wow.

That Turbo S isn't innocent either. Fast car, slow driver... he'd leave you in the straights so I get wanting to let him pass, but he actively held you up in the corners (even without traffic). Was there an opportunity to pull in for half a lap and get away from him?
I know the driver in the Porsche. She is still getting the swing of things, and I think it was her first or second time at VIR. I was being purposefully malicious. It's worth the drive! These things don't happen in the more advanced run groups!

svvitch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2022 Odyssey
Thanks for posting these videos. I just got my CW FL5 and am very excited to get back into HPDE/AutoX after a loooong break. These are motivation to learn more and get more track time!

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I know the driver in the Porsche. She is still getting the swing of things, and I think it was her first or second time at VIR. I was being purposefully malicious. It's worth the drive! These things don't happen in the more advanced run groups!
Makes more sense now! Yeah you were being super patient- and I think I saw an off-road moment there too (i.e., code brown)...

It's an amazing track but it is tough for me to justify the drive... I still have Summit to master and I have a good time there, and it's only 1.5 hours away. They seem like they police this kind of stuff really well, at least to my experience but every event is a little different.

I'll get out there someday I'm sure.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Makes more sense now! Yeah you were being super patient- and I think I saw an off-road moment there too (i.e., code brown)...

It's an amazing track but it is tough for me to justify the drive... I still have Summit to master and I have a good time there, and it's only 1.5 hours away. They seem like they police this kind of stuff really well, at least to my experience but every event is a little different.

I'll get out there someday I'm sure.
Yea she messed up and gave up. Was probably tired of having me painted in her mirrors.
Sponsored