• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Kullervo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Civic Si
I think it’s very hard to draw conclusions about how ‘hard’ it ‘pulls’ when the only guy we know who has one is avoiding hard acceleration, no?
Sponsored

OP
OP

mattsSi

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback sport
I think it’s very hard to draw conclusions about how ‘hard’ it ‘pulls’ when the only guy we know who has one is avoiding hard acceleration, no?
Absolutely, agreed! I was simply comparing 1500 rpm to 4500 with this '22 Si in comparison to my previous 10th gen hatch. The 10th gen 'pulled' harder with a +3 Hondata tune, than this current gen Si.
There's definitely truth to the tenth gens being underated, and maybe it's because this Ecu is adjusting... But it doesn't throw me back in the seat as much as the hatch did. In the hatch I could be rolling along at 2k rpm in second, punch the gas and the tires would spin. This Si, rolling along anywhere between 1-4500k rpm in second and gassing it, the tires don't break loose.
Not to let anyone down, in fact I wish the opposite, but trying to give an honest, unbiased description of my experience.
Today I hit 500km and decided it was time to try a pull! Took the car to about 6300 from 1st to 3rd. Feathered in first quite a bit as it wants to break loose, 2nd feels really nice and at the top of the gear around 4800-5000 it revs faster..feels kind of like more boost or a mini VTEC (not like the VTEC in my past '99 Prelude).
This car is definitely fast, and super fun to go through the gears at high rpm! Hit about 90kph at the top of second, so earlier posts from others were correct- 3rd is needed for 60 mph.

OP
OP

mattsSi

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely, agreed! I was simply comparing 1500 rpm to 4500 with this '22 Si in comparison to my previous 10th gen hatch. The 10th gen 'pulled' harder with a +3 Hondata tune, than this current gen Si.
There's definitely truth to the tenth gens being underated, and maybe it's because this Ecu is adjusting... But it doesn't throw me back in the seat as much as the hatch did. In the hatch I could be rolling along at 2k rpm in second, punch the gas and the tires would spin. This Si, rolling along anywhere between 1-4500k rpm in second and gassing it, the tires don't break loose.
Not to let anyone down, in fact I wish the opposite, but trying to give an honest, unbiased description of my experience.
Today I hit 500km and decided it was time to try a pull! Took the car to about 6300 from 1st to 3rd. Feathered in first quite a bit as it wants to break loose, 2nd feels really nice and at the top of the gear around 4800-5000 it revs faster..feels kind of like more boost or a mini VTEC (not like the VTEC in my past '99 Prelude).
This car is definitely fast, and super fun to go through the gears at high rpm! Hit about 90kph at the top of second, so earlier posts from others were correct- 3rd is needed for 60 mph.
I meant to say from about 4800- 6300 in 2nd there is no drop in power, feels like a slight increase actually and revs faster.

OP
OP

mattsSi

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I meant to say from about 4800- 6300 in 2nd there is no drop in power, feels like a slight increase actually and revs faster.
Oh and someone was asking about the fake exhaust sound in the cabin, it's clearly audible now. It's not terrible, but wouldn't say it's pleasing either. It might be 'cool' if you're showing off to younger friends, but when you know about it, the luster wears off.

explodingGTI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTI
Oh and someone was asking about the fake exhaust sound in the cabin, it's clearly audible now. It's not terrible, but wouldn't say it's pleasing either. It might be 'cool' if you're showing off to younger friends, but when you know about it, the luster wears off.
Does the normal driving mode also have fake exhaust noise? Or only sport?

I have a theory that it’s programmed this way:

sport - fake engine note
normal/individual - no fake engine note

I think that’s how it was in the 10th gen. I really wish there was a menu toggle for this

Last edited:

Brendan

First Name
PwPSi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
Glad to hear you gave it full throttle! Did you notice any rev hang in your 1st-3rd pull?

OP
OP

mattsSi

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think what's obvious to us all is this engine is capable of so much more, but Honda severely detunes them for longevity. The clutch they put in them has proven unable to withstand torque. The engine can handle more torque for a long time.. but not the clutch.
I don't understand why Honda didn't just give it the type R clutch and tune it about 220 torque and hp...
Beyond me. In all honesty guys this Si has a lot of potential with a cheap tune, but an expensive clutch to support the tune long term.

OP
OP

mattsSi

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad to hear you gave it full throttle! Did you notice any rev hang in your 1st-3rd pull?
I noticed a little hang but it seems to be minimal. They've definitely tweaked it, along with the flywheel helping, the Rev hang is much less than in the past. Again I'm not a pro, and the hang doesn't seem to bother me anyway, as much as others. They're keeping as much hang as they can for emissions and a better EPA rating.

OP
OP

mattsSi

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the normal driving mode also have fake exhaust noise? Or only sport?

I have a theory that it’s programmed this way:

sport - fake engine note
normal/individual - no fake engine note

I think that’s how it was in the 10th gen. I really wish there was a menu toggle for this
I'll let you know tomorrow. Have hardly experimented in normal mode ?

OP
OP

mattsSi

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hope the clutch is stronger then the last gen
Me too. I asked one of the tuning pros somewhere in one of these threads and he said it's likely the same clutch because it's the same engine

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Hope the clutch is stronger then the last gen
Good point. Those of you here that are also at CivicX know I run our tune reliability thread over there. The clutch is definitely the weak link.

I'd have to think since Honda didn't bump up power for this new gen they likely haven't really beefed up the clutch. We all know the engine can easily handle 220/220 all day long which is what I hoped Honda would have given the new Si.

Last edited:

Stealthy86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Good point. Those of you here that are also at CivicX know I run our tune reliability thread over there. The clutch is definitely the weak link.

I'd have to think since Honda didn't bump up power for this new gen they likely haven't really beefed up the clutch. We all know the engine can easily handle 220/220 all day long which is what I hoped Honda would have given the new Si.
It's not the same engine.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
It's not the same engine.
While there was some changes it's still the 1.5T and actually is outputting slightly less power.

But that has nothing to do with my post's point that Honda likely didn't beef up the clutch from the 10th to the 11th which is what my post referenced.

And yes the engine (10th and 11th version) can easily and reliably handle substantially more power than Honda gives us from the factory.

Japspecjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrx
?? that its a different clutch disk since the flywheels different
Sponsored