• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Picked up my 2023 Si

xanderalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2023
When I first got my car I noticed the gears felt rough and not as clean as I'd like but after about 1k miles they felt just fine, just needed breaking in.

I also noticed my shift boot was left of center as well but yours looks worse than mine haha. That would drive me insane.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Geezer

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
It is super annoying. My hand at times rubs on he boot when I shift. May have to do an alcantara or whatever boot just to remedy this. Around 200 miles now and trans is getting smoother. Filled it up with 93 and started letting her eat. Feels pretty smooth but dies up top. Rev hang def worse at high rpm. Still enjoying the ride. 😎

Last edited:

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Interesting to read about experiences with the shifts on the11th gen. My '17 SI was mostly fine but definitely balked occasionally, or ground a bit, even with my foot all the way in. Had to finesse it, and even then sometimes it just wasn't happy. But over time it got better, just never completely trouble free.
The '18 Type R -which was also known for occasionally acting up on shifts - has been much better, especially as time goes on. A combination of it breaking in, and of the driver adjusting.
Other posters have addressed issues with this by switching out for Amsoil fluid, or with an Acuity shift kit upgrade. Was kind of hoping to hear that any issues with balking on a gear shift were resolved in the new gen.
The shifters on the SI and Type R are excellent, but do require timing and while you can go through the gears reasonably quickly, they don't like to be rushed or slammed into place - not saying you are doing this, just an observation of their mechanics.
For example if I took a fast beat between 1st and 2nd when I put it in neutral on my way to 2nd, it seemed to synch up and go into gear much more smoothly.
So two fast beats instead of just one continuous motion from 1st to 2nd. Try it.

OP
OP
Geezer

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I dusted off the trusty dragy and decided to do a few hits. The car would take forever to do 60-130 so I stuck to 60-80 and 60-100. Car runs consistent 3.7 sec 60-80 and right around 10 flat 60-100 dipping into the 9s. For reference my stock FK8 would do high 2s 60-80 and mid 6s 60-100.

Obligatory gas station pics, she wants ethanol bad lol.

11th Gen Honda Civic Picked up my 2023 Si F7756043-9045-4C00-92FC-459AE01163C1
11th Gen Honda Civic Picked up my 2023 Si 4918E914-B8B5-4C66-85E4-D1941C3387A6
11th Gen Honda Civic Picked up my 2023 Si 9FA1E471-2195-4E65-8CFA-29827A5BB260
11th Gen Honda Civic Picked up my 2023 Si 1CE6835B-2E1E-45CC-91A6-3776D8A654BD

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gorgeous to be sure! I should photograph so well.

As for speed, I loved my previous SI and am thrilled with my current Type R for passing on a highway, or accelerating on an entrance ramp. Or just getting around traffic on the street.

Not so much for merging smoothly into very heavy and very fast traffic from a dead stop.

For that, probably need a muscle car or supercar - or - sigh- an EV.
Not personally an EV fan at all - but they are some fast SOB's off the line.

BallisticSquid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EX Hatch, 2020 Si Sedan, 2023 Si
Just picked up my '23 Si in black myself last week. This car looks sharp in black!!

As an owner of a 10th gen Si also, I noticed that the shifter felt stiffer in the new Si. It's stiffer yet more precise feeling. On my test drive I almost missed a downshift into 3rd because I had to put more force into the shift than I was used to.

I have adjusted and I feel like it's breaking in and getting easier to shift.

The clutch also grabs differently. In my 10th gen Si, I can feel the specific grab point of the clutch. In the new Si, the grab point feels less defined. Perhaps this is another break in thing. I'm getting used to it so it's not really a problem, just an observation.

The upgraded infotainment system pushes the '23 ahead of the 10th gen. Otherwise there's a mix of things I prefer in the older model vs. the new model and vice versa.

Naija Bull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Just picked up my '23 Si in black myself last week. This car looks sharp in black!!

As an owner of a 10th gen Si also, I noticed that the shifter felt stiffer in the new Si. It's stiffer yet more precise feeling. On my test drive I almost missed a downshift into 3rd because I had to put more force into the shift than I was used to.

I have adjusted and I feel like it's breaking in and getting easier to shift.

The clutch also grabs differently. In my 10th gen Si, I can feel the specific grab point of the clutch. In the new Si, the grab point feels less defined. Perhaps this is another break in thing. I'm getting used to it so it's not really a problem, just an observation.

The upgraded infotainment system pushes the '23 ahead of the 10th gen. Otherwise there's a mix of things I prefer in the older model vs. the new model and vice versa.
What are somethings you prefer in the 11th gen vs the 10th gen and vice versa?

BallisticSquid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EX Hatch, 2020 Si Sedan, 2023 Si
What are somethings you prefer in the 11th gen vs the 10th gen and vice versa?
In my 10th gen Si, I prefer the overall look. It looks more aggressive with its more pronounced spoiler and the taillight design. The seats feel more substantial with better bolstering. It has fog lights and heated seats. There is more storage space in the center console below the cup holders and behind stick shift. I prefer the instrumentation which is more simplified and less cluttered. I really like how it looks in Ralleye Red.

In the 11th gen, I much prefer the touch screen. It is far more responsive, more intuitive, and much better positioned and still remains out of my field of view. The sound system is FAR better. Sound dampening is much better and the ride is smoother yet still firm and grippy on the road. My wife likes the seats and ride better so she doesn't comment as much if I enjoy some spirited driving with her in the car :). I prefer the climate controls and the look of the dashboard with the retro looking metal mesh over the vents. Since I'm still breaking the engine in, I haven't done any crazy pulls up to redline or gone wide open throttle, but I can say there is a definite difference in how the power keeps coming as you wind through the RPMs in a particular gear. Less rev hang is a big plus. This makes shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd much smoother when accelerating quickly. The auto rev matching is pretty awesome but I am keeping it off for now to keep the driving more interactive.

As far as the feel of the transmission, I think each just has a different feel from the other. I'm sure I'll get used to the 11th gen clutch and shifter and will be as comfortable with it as I am in the 10th gen.

In general, the 11th gen feels like the Si of old all grown up. With its firm but comfy ride, understated exterior look, and sporty driving experience, it gives me vibes of the 2010 Volvo S60 I drove for 8 years. Not an entirely bad thing really.

You are probably thinking "why did he buy the 11th gen Si then?". I was honestly happy with my 10th gen Si but my son is getting his driving permit very soon and will inherit the use of this car eventually. With used car prices being insane at the moment, it made sense for me to move into the new Si and pass the old one down to my son. Overall I do like the new car.

Last edited:

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excellent comparison from someone who has both in their garage. Your son will be very fortunate to get such a great car.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I dusted off the trusty dragy and decided to do a few hits. The car would take forever to do 60-130 so I stuck to 60-80 and 60-100. Car runs consistent 3.7 sec 60-80 and right around 10 flat 60-100 dipping into the 9s. For reference my stock FK8 would do high 2s 60-80 and mid 6s 60-100.

Obligatory gas station pics, she wants ethanol bad lol.

F7756043-9045-4C00-92FC-459AE01163C1.png
4918E914-B8B5-4C66-85E4-D1941C3387A6.png
9FA1E471-2195-4E65-8CFA-29827A5BB260.jpeg
1CE6835B-2E1E-45CC-91A6-3776D8A654BD.jpeg
Do you plan to get another set of wheels? I want to say that set up is 50+ lbs. Lowering that would probably help performance a good bit. If that is what you're looking for. Would make an interesting comparison with dragy. For science and research!

MrAnd3rS0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Anyone have issues with second being a little tough to get into esp when it's cold? I feel like I am using more force period to get into gears than I am used to with Hondas I have driven in the past but second is especially noticeable with regard to resistance.
Yes, mine tends to crunch when cold until it gets warmed up a bit. I swapped to AC Delco Syncromesh, but it didn't fix it. I just shift really early into 2nd, or when needing to downshift into 2nd, I will double clutch and that makes it smooth. Mine has 7k miles, but your may just smooth out.

MrAnd3rS0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S
congrats. Picked up a SGP on monday, haven't noticed the shift boot but will take a look. I am usually pretty eagle eyed on quality and the fit and finish seems excellent (especially compared to the terrible Model 3). Agree, first and second are pretty tough to engage, especially when cold, but reverse seems by far the hardest for whatever reason.
Reverse is hard for me too. I've actually got the shift "stuck" trying to get into reverse. That was a weird one.

I always just put it into 3rd real quick and it slides into reverse no issue. Also weird, but probably some reason behind that.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm. I don't remember too much of an issue with reverse in the '17 SI or now in the '18 CTR.
So maybe some variation unit to unit.

SweetLou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3P
Reverse is hard for me too. I've actually got the shift "stuck" trying to get into reverse. That was a weird one.

I always just put it into 3rd real quick and it slides into reverse no issue. Also weird, but probably some reason behind that.
I was flipping through the manual and read the suggestion to bring the lever all the way over in the gate towards 1st/2nd and then go back to reverse. Probably has something to do with the reverse lockout pin/mechanism. You’re probably accomplishing the same thing going to 3rd. My last manual transmission had a push down mechanism to engage reverse which was really nice.

arsing116

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23’ GRC CE, 23’ Civic Si (Sold), 14’ Evo X GSR
Yes, mine tends to crunch when cold until it gets warmed up a bit. I swapped to AC Delco Syncromesh, but it didn't fix it. I just shift really early into 2nd, or when needing to downshift into 2nd, I will double clutch and that makes it smooth. Mine has 7k miles, but your may just smooth out.
Yeah I just double clutch for now when cold. I’m at 900mi though so hopefully it’ll get better.
Sponsored