• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Jwc413

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
I’ve talked to 3 dealers and none of them want my money. They said they don’t have any allocations yet and not taking deposits. I think it’s a waste of money if the dealer will take it without a guarantee that they’re even going to get a type r.
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
So far as I know it's illegal for a dealer to take a non refundable deposit on a vehicle. It's called a deposit for a reason, not a down payment.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Perhaps in AZ - elsewhere, per Google - Non-refundable deposits (sometimes marked as a deposit listed under "partial payment") will not allow you to get your money back if you change your mind. The only way to get your money back from a non-refundable deposit is if the dealership dishonored contractual/ legal obligations

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Yeah, screw that. Anything can happen between now and the car actually showing up. I would not give any dealer a non refundable deposit on a vehicle that is this far out from delivery. If it was a deal where the car was already being built, you had already driven one and liked it, and agreed on cost, THEN I'd be ok with a down payment. It would no longer be a deposit IMO if it is non refundable. Just another way for a dealer to make extra money off people.

RedLabel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Si, 22 Tundra 1794, 21 F250 Lariat, 17 Type R
Yeah, screw that. Anything can happen between now and the car actually showing up. I would not give any dealer a non refundable deposit on a vehicle that is this far out from delivery. If it was a deal where the car was already being built, you had already driven one and liked it, and agreed on cost, THEN I'd be ok with a down payment. It would no longer be a deposit IMO if it is non refundable. Just another way for a dealer to make extra money off people.
I get where you are coming from however in this current car market it will be a LONG time before you can find a 23 Type R to test drive. Heck plan for 2024. I can see most dealerships not even allowing a test drive; mainly cause the first units will be pre sold.

IF you want it. Will need to put a deposit down long before it is sitting at a dealership. I mean its Honda. And a type R. It will be fantastic. Besides if you dont like it can sell for more than you bought it for. Also Im confident putting a deposit down early (even a non-refundable) will help insure you get the car at msrp (as close to) as opposed to mark up. I put a deposit down on a 17 type r back in 2016 with hardly any info. Best decision id make. I secured at msrp long before anyone knew it was the hot steamer.

Hopefully you are not in California. Hear it sucks out there. I luckily have a dealership that didn't charge over msrp for my 22 si. And im on the list for a type r. Same msrp as they sold all their other type r's. They charged an adjustment on the 2 LE's they got; otherwise msrp.

Hey I agree that a non refundable deposit is rough. They are calling those partial payments around here. I think it is worth it on such a car. BUT, my dealerships doesn't do that nonsense so not an issue. Sorry for anyone dealing with that. Guess we will all have to make the decision if a non-refundable deposit is worth it on a Type R. I think so. I personally like having the new hot tuna. Something to be said for having the first one in your area. Go to cars and coffee with the first type r. See what happens! And the only way to do so, Is to put a deposit on something without a ton of info. Im all about it for it has treated me VERY well.

Jwc413

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
What list is everyone talking about???? Every dealer told me I have to wait can’t put a deposit on anything

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Honda Acty
As far as I am aware no one has been able to test drive a Type R since the release in 2017.

RedLabel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What list is everyone talking about???? Every dealer told me I have to wait can’t put a deposit on anything

Keep trying. Make sure you are talking to the right person. New car sales manager (sometimes there are a couple) or GM. Good news that you are not like #8 or #10 on the list. Once you convince a dealership to take your deposit; you will be first on the list! Stay strong and call around. Helps to have a dealership that you have a relationship with but if not then keep calling around. The list will start at some point. Best to be first.

RedLabel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As far as I am aware no one has been able to test drive a Type R since the release in 2017.

Good point. Quick note. When I bought my 2017 type r I had put a deposit long before much was know about the car. Luckily there was a Carolina Honda Type R event at Charlotte motor speedway. My deanship invited me. This was a good 2-3 months before the release of the car.

They had Type R's on scene to drive. Got to bang her out on the road course before press and magazines articles were out. Dont think that is happening again though. But it did provide the opportunity to test drive the car before buying. Was sold after the first turn. Very cool experience. Probably would have bought the type r anyhow but certainly confirmed I was making the right decision.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
I’m coming from a 2021 M2C and very much looking forward to upgrading to the new Civic Type R. What’s everybody’s thoughts on a Limited Edition several years into production? - Worth waiting for or just go for the “standard” Type R once released?

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
I’m coming from a 2021 M2C and very much looking forward to upgrading to the new Civic Type R. What’s everybody’s thoughts on a Limited Edition several years into production? - Worth waiting for or just go for the “standard” Type R once released?
Just curious, as I’m looking into the M2C. Why would you get rid of a 2021 400hp RWD M2 Comp, for the upcoming Type R?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
Just curious, as I’m looking into the M2C. Why would you get rid of a 2021 400hp RWD M2 Comp, for the upcoming Type R?

Good question. There were plenty of reasons.

I owned three M cars in the last two decades: e36 M3, e46 M3, and recently an f87 M2C. All were 6-spd manual. And while they all had their pros and cons, none of them felt as fun, nimble, and driver focused as the e36 M3. The e46 M3 was a close second in that regard, but the added weight was always noticeable, despite having a significant power advantage. But I caved. And after all these years, I was excited to jump into the M2C because I heard so many great things about it. Unfortunately, this excitement faded quickly.

To me, the M2C simply lacks character. It’s a good car and a fast car, but compared to my old M3’s (both e36 and e46), it’s very numb and soulless. The biggest disappointment was the steering feel, or lack thereof. It was basically dead as there’s next to no feedback. The car never felt nimble as it’s quite a bit heavier than the other two and it’s certainly something I could feel. The rush of power is too sudden between low and mid range, which means it plateaus very quickly and feels dead in the mid to high range. The car also feels quite busy and not very stable at speed. It’s sort of all over the place. Could be the result of lack of steering feedback. Turn in isn’t bad, but overall not great either because of how numb and refined the car feels. It just doesn’t inspire confidence.

BMW lost most of its appeal as a true driver focused car after the e36 era IMO. Too much refinement, too many electronics, and annoying computer assists, some of which can’t be turned off (even coding them out isn’t feasible without other sacrifices). I actually don’t care about speed anymore. It’s annoying because I can almost never use it. Every time I open the car up, it feels like I’m gonna end up in jail doing triple digits.

Anyway, that’s been my experience and yours may differ. We all value different aspects of a car. If you haven’t driven older M cars, you may actually love how the M2C feels. At the end of the day, it’s all a matter of perspective and that’s obviously relative. Perhaps I was spoiled by the older M’s. As cars got too refined and over-engineered, they lost a lot of that feel that I seek. I never imaged that cars like the CTR and GR86 would fill in that gap.

At this point, I much prefer slower nimble cars that are simply more engaging and fun to drive. I’m hoping the new Type R is that car. So far, it looks and sounds like a great car on paper. If it’s anything like the FK8 I test drove recently, then I’ll be happy. I love the fact that Type R’s are still manual, practical, and relatively lightweight. I wasn’t sure if I could go back to FWD after having driven only RWD for over 20 years, but I’m at a point where driveability and overall fun factor matter most. I’m passed the point of high horsepower appeal and gadgetry.

The other car I thought about is the GR Yaris. I stay in Thailand six months out of the year so that’s also an option. But in the interim, I’m looking into the upcoming GR Corolla.

Manual transmission for life!

Last edited:

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
^ Having been in the S2000 community for a long time, I was always amazed by guys who sold their S2000s and purchased high end Porsches, NSX's , Corvettes, Nissans, BMW's etc, and they almost always returned to the community a few years later buying S2000's again. They all had the same story to tell about higher hp and newer cars with added tech features not being very satisfying compared to the S2000 experience. I just bought the 22 Si and it has a very similar fun factor as my S2000, without having high hp, it just has the right characteristics to be fun. I was never a convertible fan, so I don't miss that aspect and I always ran a hardtop on my S2000.

The CTR will be an almost perfect setup and it is looking better than the last gen in a few different ways. The FWD vs RWD thing never really meant much to me. There are advantages to a RWD setup, but you can certainly have as much fun in a proper FWD setup as RWD when it is tuned well, and you know the CTR will be tuned amazingly well. Good luck whenever you can get your hands on a 23 model, I think it is going to be a fantastic ride.

Last edited:

Jwc413

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Keep trying. Make sure you are talking to the right person. New car sales manager (sometimes there are a couple) or GM. Good news that you are not like #8 or #10 on the list. Once you convince a dealership to take your deposit; you will be first on the list! Stay strong and call around. Helps to have a dealership that you have a relationship with but if not then keep calling around. The list will start at some point. Best to be first.
Unless you have a vin number your deposit means nothing
Sponsored