• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

New 2023 Type R owner here with a few questions.

AWR1997

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5 Civic Type R R-00154 (deceased)
Is this from driving behind gravel trucks or debris on road from just cars and SUVs? I'm guessing I'm fortunate to only have one or two chips on A pillars from my previous cars, mostly bumper and lower parts of hood were chipped.

On this car, fenders are more vulnerable and the lower part of the doors. I opted not for the doors since I wanted to minimize the dirt line where the PPF ends. They did a trunk strip and I'm glad it's in a less visible place. Ceramic and fender vent screen helps otherwise.
If I had to guess, they mostly happen in construction zones. There are quite a few construction zones on the highway around where I live. I had 2 dings in the windshield from those areas despite not driving closely behind other vehicles.

JCZ5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 GT4, 992 Targa 4 GTS
One argument for opting full PPF vs. partial is if you do partial, when you take the PPF off, there will be some sort of discoloration between the PPF and no-PPF parts. Depending on the color of your vehicle, that would determine how noticeable - for example I would guess CW you would see more of a color difference.

Then when you put the replacement PPF on, the slight discoloration may show once again. May bother some, may not

Nothing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5 #5044
If I had to guess, they mostly happen in construction zones. There are quite a few construction zones on the highway around where I live. I had 2 dings in the windshield from those areas despite not driving closely behind other vehicles.
That sucks, and you had PPF most of the way up too. There's construction here too, if not in local roads then on the freeway. Only takes one rock. I guess I did have some windshield dings that I got filled.

Nothing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5 #5044
One argument for opting full PPF vs. partial is if you do partial, when you take the PPF off, there will be some sort of discoloration between the PPF and no-PPF parts. Depending on the color of your vehicle, that would determine how noticeable - for example I would guess CW you would see more of a color difference.

Then when you put the replacement PPF on, the slight discoloration may show once again. May bother some, may not
If you ceramic coat, this should be lessened. Not sure how equal they are in that effect though.

JCZ5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 GT4, 992 Targa 4 GTS
If you ceramic coat, this should be lessened. Not sure how equal they are in that effect though.
Ah interesting, I can see if you ceramic coat beneath the PPF, that may lessen that affect. But usually if you are applying PPF, you ceramic coat on top of the film, thus negating that benefit...? UNLESS, you wanted to ceramic both beneath and on top of PPF! - But that is just silly :)

Nothing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW FL5 #5044
Ah interesting, I can see if you ceramic coat beneath the PPF, that may lessen that affect. But usually if you are applying PPF, you ceramic coat on top of the film, thus negating that benefit...? UNLESS, you wanted to ceramic both beneath and on top of PPF! - But that is just silly :)
Sorry, meant that ceramic would protect against UV where PPF is not installed. UV damage is the reason you may see differences in paint color years later if you remove the PPF, since the film projects against UV. Ceramic coating should protect against UV as well as long as it is maintained. You can ceramic over PPF but it only makes the PPF easier to clean.

Fl5#727

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic type r
You can’t do ceramic under PPF. The PPF will not stick.

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
Hahahahah for the first two questions, you have a Manual, And the last one build a garage....lol.

UCF120

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R, 2002 S2000
PSA: If you do park the FL5 in a garage, be careful opening the tailgate while the garage door is open--depending on the height of the door, you can smack the wing into the garage door. Don't ask me how I found out. 🤦‍♂️
Jesus 🤣 I’m glad I’m not the only one. I saw how close the wing would be to the garage door the first day I put my car in the garage also. Told myself to be careful and sure as shit couple days later… 🤦🏻‍♂️ no damage but it didn’t sound good. Gotta always remind myself that I can’t open the hatch until the garage door is closed

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic type R, MK7 GTI, Toyota 4x4
Display:

Per the original post:
There are a boatload of answers ^ so far. Did you know that you can customize your display? For me the trip meter will be part of it... now I just need to figure out how to do it. It's probably in the manual somewhere or maybe it is intuitive and a no brainer.

Tires:
If you're not going to track the car other than maybe an autocross or occasional drag race, maybe buy two additional wheels and mount sticker tires for that. For general street I'd go for something that had good grip but decent life as well if you don't feel like swapping tires every 10K miles.

Paint:
There are about 12 zillion products out there now. One that grabbed my interest is the Graphene based products. I haven't researched them much but know that Graphene is a pretty amazing material that is super strong. Can they actually put it in some kind of wax? Are they just name dropping to make a buck? Who knows. By the same token Ceramic coatings are a big thing now. I bought some 'consumer level' Turtle wax brand Ceramic spray and it does certainly repel water and the elements for a good long time. Tested on a VW GTI over winter and it holds up for at least 6 months. Prior to that I used pure Carnuba wax which worked fairly well too. You might want to claybar the car before using either brand if it's been driven in the rain or snow for any amount of time.
Sponsored