• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

New Owner Observation / Stories

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
So this is a thread on new owner observation. Here are mine - please add yours..

its been a few weeks since Ive taken delivery and had literally 7 people take pictures and two film with their phones from their cars while im driving. Several people and groups go nuts in their cars and two people compliment me directly. An insane amount of attention.

Secondly, Ive been finding excuses to drive and am blown away by the power delivery and handling, its quickly becoming an addiction. Tophers dopamine comment is not far off.

Third - this shit is dangerous- quickly up to triple digits and can get one into trouble fast.

Fourth - my dad (who is not easily impressed) could not believe that a civic could do this and was so smitten he immediately called the dealer as hes next on the list.

Last but more to come - the car is fking 10x more beautiful in person.
Sponsored

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Fourth - my dad (who is not easily impressed) could not believe that a civic could do this and was so smitten he immediately called the dealer as hes next on the list.

This is Gold! Now you always have someone to cruise with. The FL5 is a very beautiful 4-door car at its price class.

One Saturday I decided to quickly go ask a detailer/high-end used car shop for a paint correction quote before the last wave of the recent atmospheric river. It was my first time driving it since I picked mine up and I was in the middle of clearing my driveway. Then a random person walking his dog stopped me to ask about my FL5. He owns a Integra GSR and turned out to be my neighbor on the other end of the street. We ended up talked for a while that I knew I couldn't beat the rain. The guys at the detailing place loved it because one of the guys who work there daily his Aegan Blue FK8 and had never seen a FL5 in person.

Until there's more FL5 on the street, I will probably get a lot of questions when I'm getting gas lol.

Kfo_cpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RDX
So this is a thread on new owner observation. Here are mine - please add yours..

its been a few weeks since Ive taken delivery and had literally 7 people take pictures and two film with their phones from their cars while im driving. Several people and groups go nuts in their cars and two people compliment me directly. An insane amount of attention.

Secondly, Ive been finding excuses to drive and am blown away by the power delivery and handling, its quickly becoming an addiction. Tophers dopamine comment is not far off.

Third - this shit is dangerous- quickly up to triple digits and can get one into trouble fast.

Nice review. Iā€™m pumped to get mine next month. How is it daily driving in MN? Iā€™m hoping itā€™s not that bumpy of a ride here in IL. Some of the videos online make it look bouncy even in comfort mode.

OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Nice review. Iā€™m pumped to get mine next month. How is it daily driving in MN? Iā€™m hoping itā€™s not that bumpy of a ride here in IL. Some of the videos online make it look bouncy even in comfort mode.
Comfort setting on suspension calms it nice. Still have to be aware of potholes!

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
Hoping to pick one up in spring or summer. After the initial sticker shock, I settled down and realized that thereā€™s no other car Iā€™d rather have at this price point (my other options were used P-cars but the ones I *actually* want are a fair bit more expensive). Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Here is moreā€¦.what I have noticed as I go along (now at 700 miles) is that even basic driving is incredible. You can feel everything in in all the right ways (the unbalanced engine through the pedals and floor, the steering and the body of the car. Its crazy good. My favorite right now is just being at about 3k rpm in fourth. I have not gone above 4.5k rpm yet and I am so happy I made the purchase- so worth it. To the point where I no longer access traumatic memories of shitty honda logistics. Its driving ecstasy.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Maybe the Admin can change the thread title to FL5 observations?

I noticed today that you can "feel" the engine through the pedal a lot more in Sport/+R mode at low RPM. When I experienced some vibration at a certain RPM I immediately switched to Comfort to see if it made a difference and it made a drastic change. Pretty cool to have the mode changes make it a completely different experience in the various modes. I thought the days of feeling an engine through the pedal on DBW cars were gone.

OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Maybe the Admin can change the thread title to FL5 observations?

I noticed today that you can "feel" the engine through the pedal a lot more in Sport/+R mode at low RPM. When I experienced some vibration at a certain RPM I immediately switched to Comfort to see if it made a difference and it made a drastic change. Pretty cool to have the mode changes make it a completely different experience in the various modes. I thought the days of feeling an engine through the pedal on DBW cars were gone.
Same experience.

Kfo_cpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RDX
Here is moreā€¦.what I have noticed as I go along (now at 700 miles) is that even basic driving is incredible. You can feel everything in in all the right ways (the unbalanced engine through the pedals and floor, the steering and the body of the car. Its crazy good. My favorite right now is just being at about 3k rpm in fourth. I have not gone above 4.5k rpm yet and I am so happy I made the purchase- so worth it. To the point where I no longer access traumatic memories of shitty honda logistics. Its driving ecstasy.
Great to hear this. I felt the same way after driving the FK8 a few years ago - it was so good. I canā€™t wait for the FL5.
How is your FL5 on the highway? Would it do ok on long drives as far as ride quality and seat comfort?

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As long as you fit the seat the car is awesome on the freeway in Comfort mode. Getting in and out can be a challenge sometimes but once youā€™re in it feels amazing. Lots of adjustment in the seat to get to a proper driving position.

OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
As long as you fit the seat the car is awesome on the freeway in Comfort mode. Getting in and out can be a challenge sometimes but once youā€™re in it feels amazing. Lots of adjustment in the seat to get to a proper driving position.
I agree. I just ordered dream automotive all black seat covers (I guess fk8 fits fl5) for general protection and I constantly hit the upright bolster when getting in. Its no big deal and is super comfortable when getting in. If the highway has a lot of bows it will be a little bouncy but with a somewhat decent surface comfort mode works really well. I was on R mode and hit a bow and felt the back end car go airborn lol.

machimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Iā€™m approaching 1k miles now and have barely hit 5k rpm and it feels too fast for the streets.

Iā€™ve had a ton of compliments too and it is really fun to just stand around and bullshit with people who have questions and comments. Theyā€™re as excited as I am and I get to be the lucky one to get in and drive it away.

Iā€™ve definitely never driven anything like this, both in performance and looks. I truly love the 11th gen designs for both sedan and hatch, but the wide hips and shoulders set this thing over the top.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All you guys with more miles shifting at like 4-5K RPM. I donā€™t know how you do it! Iā€™m at 450 and waiting till 600 miles for full send but after that Iā€™ll probably redline in multiple gears daily. Itā€™s a Honda! Itā€™s meant to be revved.

Last edited:

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Let it rip after the break-in period, I waited until 1k miles for good measure. These cars are meant to be flogged and redlined. Just make sure the car is warmed up. This is how my S2000 was treated until I sold it at 315k miles, still in top mechanical condition.

Village911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #839
Has anyone thought of getting Rigid Collars?

Some spoke this should be the very first mod that type r needs and it does opposite of what you all thinking, which is stiffen the ride, but rather it makes it more smoother/damper.

My concern is, should I get both front and rear? Or just fronts? šŸ§
Sponsored