• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

New Owner Observation / Stories

Trunkster

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Are you in comfort mode when you’re experiencing bouncing feel?
Yes. Can't really perceive much difference really from the other modes. I have been out of comfort for a while, maybe should switch it back to see if there is a difference. I have to admit, the roads from Fort Worth to Dallas are built by the lowest bidder no doubt but there are some places along the way that it are just terrible. Asphalt seems to be more friendly.
Sponsored

ScumbagRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Yep! And on Mobil 1 EP 10W-30 as well (in case people have doubts about using a "mediocre oil" lol). Posted the sale on FB marketplace and got 50 inquiries in the first half hour, with some begging to see the car first, it was insane lol. Sold for $9k back in 2020, maybe I should have aimed higher.
I feel you - I sold my 2007 AP2 with 65k miles back in 2017 for about $20k. It's already a collector's item now and will only continue to appreciate IMO.

But I had a baby on the way at the time and simply couldn't justify keeping a two-seater convertible - traded it in for a Honda Fit instead LOL, which eventually got upgraded to the A4 I drive now. But I've been itching to get back into a 6MT - really love how practical the CTR is and can't wait to get one!

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Rigid collar is something I am likely to get some time down the road.

Not sure if you ever tried chassis brace(s) that bolts to similar locations. Would you say rigid collar is more effective if you can only get either of them?
So the difference in Chassis braces vs. Rigid Collar is the braces stiffen the chassis or help to reduce its ability to flex. Rigid Collars improve the suspension’s ability to do it job by isolating the subframe.

Both can be installed on your own but the bracing normally takes less time to do. I’d do braces first because of their simplicity of installation. Most people would rather not touch the subframe unless they have to.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
I feel you - I sold my 2007 AP2 with 65k miles back in 2017 for about $20k. It's already a collector's item now and will only continue to appreciate IMO.

But I had a baby on the way at the time and simply couldn't justify keeping a two-seater convertible - traded it in for a Honda Fit instead LOL. Now I'm looking to get back to a Honda - really love how practical the CTR is and can't wait to get one.
Yea it was tough saying goodbye to the car after almost 18 years, my car since after I graduated college, basically I spent my entire adult life with that car. I would have kept it, but can only practically keep just one nice car at my apartment. Good luck on getting your FL5 dude.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Does this take the bounce out of the ride? I sometimes have a hard time adjusting the volume knob or talking on the phone because there is so much bounce going on.
it will help with the ride a little but the “bounce” is subjective. Doubt it’s gonna be enough to fix that issue though.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
Yep! And on Mobil 1 EP 10W-30 as well (in case people have doubts about using a "mediocre oil" lol). Posted the sale on FB marketplace and got 50 inquiries in the first half hour, with some begging to see the car first, it was insane lol. Sold for $9k back in 2020, maybe I should have aimed higher.
Mine currently has 225k and has never been opened (though I did rebuild the transmission). Oil changes, valve adjustments, injector cleanings, and that's pretty much it. I'm the second owner, however. The original owner gets the credit for putting most of those miles on -- it was a freeway commuter from 2001 to 2019 when I bought it. I continue to make subtle updates to it to bring it back to full health. It's a forever car.

As for the rigid collars, something to consider... any bump, jounce, or hit that might previously have been absorbed by your sub-frame will instead be redirected to the frame itself with rigid collars in place. Their entire purpose is to eliminate any chance for movement of the sub-frame; however, the sub-frame is designed with small tolerances in mind so that it can move slightly if necessary. Just a thought.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Mine currently has 225k and has never been opened (though I did rebuild the transmission). Oil changes, valve adjustments, injector cleanings, and that's pretty much it. I'm the second owner, however. The original owner gets the credit for putting most of those miles on -- it was a freeway commuter from 2001 to 2019 when I bought it. I continue to make subtle updates to it to bring it back to full health. It's a forever car.

As for the rigid collars, something to consider... any bump, jounce, or hit that might previously have been absorbed by your sub-frame will instead be redirected to the frame itself with rigid collars in place. Their entire purpose is to eliminate any chance for movement of the sub-frame; however, the sub-frame is designed with small tolerances in mind so that it can move slightly if necessary. Just a thought.
Nice! I had my clutch changed at around 220k miles (put in the ACT Prolite lighter flywheel too while everything was apart), replaced the radiator due to a crack soon after that, changed a couple of ignition coilpacks, and swapped a fried ECU. Other than those, no major issues with the car.

My only real mods other than the flywheel were full CR suspension components. And the legendary Billman constantly maintaining the car lol.

Last edited:

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
Nice! I had my clutch changed at around 220k miles (put in the ACT Prolite lighter flywheel too while everything was apart), replaced the radiator due to a crack soon after that, changed a couple of ignition coilpacks, and swapped a fried ECU. Other than those, no major issues with the car.

My only real mods other than the flywheel were full CR suspension components. And the legendary Billman constantly maintaining the car lol.
How do you like the CR suspension? I've considered it but have heard it's very stiff. I'm on stock AP1 V1 suspension at the moment and have no complaints, but they'll need to be replaced at some point.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
How do you like the CR suspension? I've considered it but have heard it's very stiff. I'm on stock AP1 V1 suspension at the moment and have no complaints, but they'll need to be replaced at some point.
Yea I had the full CR setup - springs, dampers, sway bars, and steering stiffeners (not sure if this did anything). I have don't have the car anymore, but I liked it. I actually put in a second set of CR springs and dampers before I sold it. Keep in mind I'm a stiff junkie though lol, I find a stiff ride more engaging and fun to drive. The springs were definitely stiffer than the ones in the CTR, 400 front/350 rear lbs/in which were decently stiff for a factory car, but not race stiff. They were well damped, but doesn't overcompensate like the dampers in the CTR.

If you're not going to track it, then you probably won't take advantage of the CR setup. But if you don't mind a little firmer ride, then I would say try it out. The front end stiffness is the most noticeable compared with the base S2000 suspension, it's lively. Whenever the valet used to bring back the car, you could see the car, especially the front end, follow every bump and undulation in the parking lot.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Sounds like Honda really dialed it in, no surprise there.
Hopefully one day I can test drive one and compare it to my FK8.

M!!!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, GR Yaris, FJ Cruiser, Jimny, NA and ND Miata
My initial impressions; I bought the car primarily as a vehicle that is as close to a practical four-seat sports car as I can find.

Positives:

1. Feels like an extremely polished product overall. All of the things you will be interacting with a lot feel nice and solid and practically at par with entry-level luxury sedans like the Audi A4, including: heavy and solid door thuds, buttons and switches feel great, turn signal stalks feel great, steering wheel suede feels great, clutch is very smooth and easy to actuate, the shifter is amazing, etc.

These things are often overlooked for more glamorous specs, but all these things add up to an undeniable feeling of quality and expensive machinery, especially when compared to something like my GR Yaris. Even the stereo is quite decent.

2. The shifter is fantastic -- with good weight and throw distance and a very satisfyingly mechanical feel. On par or better than the shifter on an NA or ND2 Miata. A GR Yaris shifter feels clunky in comparison.

3. The ride is very good with the suspension set to Comfort. Very tolerable even on bad roads. A GR Yaris is firmer, an ND Miata is softer.

4. Steering weight and feel are very good.

5. Practicality is very high. The rear seat is spacious, the trunk is large, and there are a lot of spaces to put your phone and other small items in.

6. Good power. Though a GR Yaris feels more authoritative in the mid-range, I think.

Negatives:

1. Dunno why Honda didn't go ahead and make this a five-seater. No charging points and A/C vents at the rear seat.

2. Hard plastic rear door cards. At this price, these should be soft-touch plastic.

3. Feels a bit large, almost like an Accord

4. The horn sounds pathetic

Last edited:

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
My initial impressions; I bought the car primarily as a vehicle that is as close to a practical four-seat sports car as I can find.

Positives:

1. Feels like an extremely polished product overall. All of the things you will be interacting with a lot feel nice and solid and practically at par with entry-level luxury sedans like the Audi A4, including: heavy and solid door thuds, buttons and switches feel great, turn signal stalks feel great, steering wheel suede feels great, clutch is very smooth and easy to actuate, the shifter is amazing, etc.

These things are often overlooked for more glamorous specs, but all these things add up to an undeniable feeling of quality and expensive machinery, especially when compared to something like my GR Yaris. Even the stereo is quite decent.

2. The shifter is fantastic -- with good weight and throw distance and a very satisfyingly mechanical feel. On par or better than the shifter on an NA or ND2 Miata. A GR Yaris shifter feels clunky in comparison.

3. The ride is very good with the suspension set to Comfort. Very tolerable even on bad roads. A GR Yaris is firmer, an ND Miata is softer.

4. Steering weight and feel are very good.

5. Practicality is very high. The rear seat is spacious, the trunk is large, and there are a lot of spaces to put your phone and other small items in.

6. Good power. Though a GR Yaris feels more authoritative in the mid-range, I think.

Negatives:

1. Dunno why Honda didn't go ahead and make this a five-seater. No charging points and A/C vents at the rear seat.

2. Hard plastic rear door cards. At this price, these should be soft-touch plastic.

3. Feels a bit large, almost like an Accord

4. The horn sounds pathetic
Reading your profile... a GR Yaris and a Jimny?! Forbidden fruit for us Americans. Awesome collection you have.