• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Tested: 2022 Honda Civic vs. the Compact-Sedan Competition
Honda's 11th-generation Civic takes on sedan rivals from Hyundai, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, and VW.

Review link: https://www.caranddriver.com/review...tra-toyota-corolla-volkswagen-jetta-compared/

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Civic Touring Sedan beats out 5 rivals : Mazda 3, Jetta, Elantra, Sentra, Corolla [Car and Driver Competition] 2022-honda-civic-vs-2021-hyundai-elantra-mazda-3-nissan-sentra-toyota-corolla-volkswagen-jetta

"Highs: Chassis tuning sets the benchmark, acceleration leads the field, interior execution is top notch.
Lows: Priced at the higher end of the spectrum, no manual for the sedan.
Verdict: With the regular Civic this good, we can't wait to see what the Si is like.

Although the interior is thoroughly modern-looking, the spacious cabin's ergonomic logic and quality execution took us back to Hondas of the past. A low cowl and narrow A-pillars give an expansive view out that the others can't match. The digital gauge cluster lacks the configurability of some but shows a lot of info in an easy-to-digest format. The Touring's infotainment display is better than recent Honda efforts, with sharp graphics and an actual volume knob, although it still lacks a tuning dial. Even something as simple as the climate-control knobs are beautifully executed with knurled edges and snick-snick movement. As staff editor Connor Hoffman summed up, "This is the nicest Civic interior ever."

As before, the top Civic trims are powered by a turbocharged 1.5-liter four. Yes, it's hooked to a CVT (a manual is available in the hatchback), but it's one of the better-programmed units out there, and the car also benefits from having a relatively robust 180 horses and 177 pound-feet of torque to dispatch. The Honda is the quickest in the group, with a 7.2-second time to 60 mph and a 15.6-second time in the quarter.

It's telling that on the first morning of our group drive, we kept mistakenly calling the Civic an Accord. That's not just because it now looks like an Accord, this new generation having ditched the preceding model's overwrought styling. It's more because the Civic now enjoys the poise of its beloved sibling.

As with its larger sibling, the Civic delivers a master class in chassis tuning. "Stiff, stable, and refined," Hoffman said. Over one particularly bombed-out section of freeway, the Civic's tires and suspension thwacked loudly over potholes, but the cabin was largely undisturbed. Out on the handling loop, the Honda really established its dominance, its sharp reflexes and expertly damped suspension edging out the also-good Mazda. The steering marries ideal effort levels with a strong sense of straight ahead, and the brake modulation came in for praise as well. "What a fantastically easy car to hustle," said Irwin.

It turns out we weren't too far off when we likened this car to an Accord. The Civic is the Accord of the compact-sedan class."

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Civic Touring Sedan beats out 5 rivals : Mazda 3, Jetta, Elantra, Sentra, Corolla [Car and Driver Competition] n-jetta-101-1632319825.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.752xh;0,0

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Civic Touring Sedan beats out 5 rivals : Mazda 3, Jetta, Elantra, Sentra, Corolla [Car and Driver Competition] 1635287331477-
Sponsored

Last edited:

loslalane

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
My first Honda and I'm more than happy with it.
My XI Si will be my 6th Honda 1 Accord V6, 5 were Civics 4 of them and currently MT since my first one back in 2001. I'm glad you're enjoying your Honda CIVIC XI. Definitely hope to get a Type R 2 years from now.

Last edited:

Baldilocks

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
My XI Si will be my 6th Honda 1 Accord V6, 5 were Civics 4 of them and currently MT since my first one back in 2001. I'm glad you're enjoying your Honda CIVIC XI. Definitely hope to get a Type R 2 years from now.
I've always owned Golf GTI's and Golf R's. Some Camaro's and Mustangs thrown in. It's nice to be in something so....calm. :)

Baldilocks

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those who have a hate-on for the 11Gen (I used to be one but no longer) need to just get real and face facts.
The new civic is a fantastic machine all around.
Itā€™s built very solidly. Reminds me of my German cars.

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM
I need to stop reading about the new Civics because Iā€™m starting to hate my 2017 more and more every day :)

As with any champ itā€™s about putting it all together, not just in an area or two. Honda has stepped up their game with the 10th gen and more so with the 11th.

With the Si not coming in a hatch that makes the decision easierā€¦ Iā€™ll just buy it from Acura. With everything Honda has done on the Civic the Integra should be a great car.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
With the Si not coming in a hatch that makes the decision easierā€¦ Iā€™ll just buy it from Acura. With everything Honda has done on the Civic the Integra should be a great car.
Integra Si Hatch variant all the way unless money's too tight. If that's the case the Civic Sport Hatch W/N.A. is a compromise I can live with.

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
I've always owned Golf GTI's and Golf R's. Some Camaro's and Mustangs thrown in. It's nice to be in something so....calm. :)
... How would you say the reliability and ownership in terms of expense were on your previous makes/models?

Baldilocks

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
... How would you say the reliability and ownership in terms of expense were on your previous makes/models?
Long term, that is yet to be determined. My German cars always had electrical gremlins and water pump replacements that cost a pretty penny. German cars aren't cheap to maintain. The Camaros and Mustangs are nice but quality control issues always popped up and the cheap interior bits spoiled the fun a bit.

I'm surprised and pleased with this Civic so far. It's very German like in it's build quality.

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Wow, the only car to come even close to the Civic Touring is the Mazda but it's cramped all around and crummy mpg.
I find it difficult to believe that the Mazda3 is rated that low, or actually is that bad in terms of fuel mileage.
I am not disagreeing, just seems odd to me. But I am still driving a 2006 Mazda3 2.0L 5 speed sedan that I purchased new. I generally average 29-33 mpg depending on what I do, but always in that range regardless. It has been very dependable and cheap on maintenance. And I have enjoyed driving it, fun and practical, for over 15 years. Just time to get me a new car for my retirement! Trying to decide what I will get and it will have to be a manual transmission for me!
* edit * The Mazda3 was an all wheel drive used in the test so that explains some of the bad rating.

Last edited:

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
I find it difficult to believe that the Mazda3 is rated that low, or actually is that bad in terms of fuel mileage.
I am not disagreeing, just seems odd to me. But I am still driving a 2006 Mazda3 2.0L 5 speed sedan that I purchased new. I generally average 29-33 mpg depending on what I do, but always in that range regardless. It has been very dependable and cheap on maintenance. And I have enjoyed driving it, fun and practical, for over 15 years. Just time to get me a new car for my retirement! Trying to decide what I will get and it will have to be a manual transmission for me!
* edit * The Mazda3 was an all wheel drive used in the test so that explains some of the bad rating.
Fuelly says Mazda3 is 29.8 vs. Honda's 33.4 so it's not such a big difference. The Mazda3 hatch would definitely be 2nd on my list of hatches to buy, I admit I'm tired of Civic road noise it's very annoying I don't know how much better the Mazda would be. Probably can't lose with a new manual Mazda3 but do their hatches come with a manual option? I notice Doug DeMuro gave the Mazda3 hatch a Doug score of 51 but the 2022 Civic EX Sedan only got a 40!
Sponsored

Last edited: