• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
Honestly I don't know Honda that well, maybe they do rollouts like that and it's normal.
I was recalling my surprise at how quickly the new Civics popped up on the road after the first press drives last year, so I took a closer look back at the Si rollout for reference. Pricing was announced in early Nov, press drives and deliveries started basically a month later! wow. So yeah, assuming they will follow a similar progression for Type R these could easily be production vehicles on the truck.
Sponsored

rui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG6, AP1, FL5
If those were production cars destined for sale in NA, they would be anywhere from 8 to 12 weeks out. It would mean they will do all of the press stuff in parallel with production and shipment of the first round of cars. Honestly I don't know Honda that well, maybe they do rollouts like that and it's normal. Most other rollouts I've followed recently, there were 3 to 5 months between press drives and first deliveries.
We can tell they're not due to the tinted rear windows. That's Japan/Euro-spec, not US-spec.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I work at dealership so I can provide some clarity on the Waitlist/Deposit/Reservation process. Just so you guys are aware, many of you here know more than the dealerships that are about to sell these damn things lol.

The reservation process is dealer dependent, there is no single way in which Honda dealerships are required to take reservations on the FL5 Type R. Some dealerships require a deposit, some do not(My dealership requires a deposit the list currently has 4 people on it). Deposits are fully refundable and will go towards your down payment or balance if you're purchasing cash.

In terms of allocation, Honda will be allocating the most FL5s to the dealerships that have consistently sold the most Hondas. With that being said, the Honda dealerships that sell the most Hondas are: Norm Reeves Honda(California), Paragon Honda(New York), Rick Case Honda(Florida) and Braman Honda(Florida). Smaller Honda dealerships generally have an agreement to sell to locals before they sell to out-of-state customers because they're able to offer an after-sales experience(service, parts, etc), which means if you're planning to buy from an out-of-state dealership don't be surprised if they charge you a higher markup than a local client. Be advised, just because you've put a deposit down and the dealership has agreed to charge MSRP or MSRP plus a certain ADM, don't be surprised if the dealership changes their tune when official pricing and allocations are confirmed.

Due to production limitations caused by supply constraints, the FL5 Type R will be produced in numbers closer to 40% of what the FK8 Type R was produced in. That figure is subject to change but that is current projections. Honda intends to build as many as they can sell(they were genuinely unprepared for how well the FK8 sold).

Hope this dissertation helped any of you

Last edited:

thecaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
I work at dealership so I can provide some clarity on the Waitlist/Deposit/Reservation process. Just so you guys are aware, many of you here know more than the dealerships that are about to sell these damn things lol.

The reservation process is dealer dependent, there is no single way in which Honda dealerships are required to take reservations on the FL5 Type R. Some dealerships require a deposit, some do not(My dealership requires a deposit the list currently has 4 people on it). Deposits are fully refundable and will go towards your down payment or balance if you're purchasing cash.

In terms of allocation, Honda will be allocating the most FL5s to the dealerships that have consistently sold the most Hondas. With that being said, the Honda dealerships that sell the most Hondas are: Norm Reeves Honda(California), Paragon Honda(New York), Rick Case Honda(Florida) and Braman Honda(Florida). Smaller Honda dealerships generally have an agreement to sell to locals before they sell to out-of-state customers because they're able to offer an after-sales experience(service, parts, etc), which means if you're planning to buy from an out-of-state dealership don't be surprised if they charge you a higher markup than a local client. Be advised, just because you've put a deposit down and the dealership has agreed to charge MSRP or MSRP plus a certain ADM, don't be surprised if the dealership changes their tune when official pricing and allocations are confirmed.

Due to production limitations caused by supply constraints, the FL5 Type R will be produced in numbers closer to 40% of what the FK8 Type R was produced in. That figure is subject to change but that is current projections. Honda intends to build as many as they can sell(they were genuinely unprepared for how well the FK8 sold).

At your dealership, what is projected date of arrival for the first car? I know dates are all over the place from different dealerships. Thanks for all the information!

tuhroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK8, 13 ISF, 95 K20 EG8, 98 ITR, 95 EG8, 23 FL5
We can tell they're not due to the tinted rear windows. That's Japan/Euro-spec, not US-spec.
privacy glass is a dead give away

WeudS

First Name
Daoud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 RR CTR, (Sold)2021 RR CTR, 2011 Tahoe LTZ

I'm guessing only dealers know who the the top sellers are? I've been trying to figure out the top ones on my state.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
At your dealership, what is projected date of arrival for the first car? I know dates are all over the place from different dealerships. Thanks for all the information!

I have to confirm with our Regional Honda Corporate Liaison but the last time we spoke, we expect to receive Order/Reference numbers(this gives us an idea of how much Honda is sending to us, not guaranteed though) for FL5s at the end of September - early October. VINs would be assigned 10-15 business days after the production date range at which point the cars take 30-45 days to touch the dealership grounds. This is assuming that there are no delays in production or transit.

Last edited:

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I'm guessing only dealers know who the the top sellers are? I've been trying to figure out the top ones on my state.
Yes only dealerships have access to who sells the most. Which state are you in? I might be able to tell you.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I have to confirm with our Regional Honda Corporate Liaison but the last time we spoke, we expect to receive Order/Reference numbers(this gives us an idea of how much Honda is sending to us, not guaranteed though) for FL5s at the end of September - early October. VINs would be assigned 10-15 business days after receiving the reference numbers at which point the cars take 30-45 days to touch the dealership grounds. This is assuming that there are no delays in production or transit.
A couple of things here...

I have order numbers for vehicles that don't have production dates.

I have order numbers for vehicles that are to be produced in October.

I have never seen a VIN in the IN for a vehicle that has yet to be produced. So are you suggesting that the Type R is different in that regard?

WeudS

First Name
Daoud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 RR CTR, (Sold)2021 RR CTR, 2011 Tahoe LTZ
Yes only dealerships have access to who sells the most. Which state are you in? I might be able to tell you.
Massachusetts.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
A couple of things here...

I have order numbers for vehicles that don't have production dates.

I have order numbers for vehicles that are to be produced in October.

I have never seen a VIN in the IN for a vehicle that has yet to be produced. So are you suggesting that the Type R is different in that regard?
I made an error in my statement "VINs would be assigned 10-15 business days after receiving the reference numbers" should be " VINs would be assigned 10-15 business days after the production date range"

Yes, the Type R is different. The FL5 Type R has been revealed but not formally launched. The launch would coincide with the release of official information like the horsepower, an actual arrival date, MSRP etc. Notice that those order numbers you have, the car they correspond to, can be built and specced on Honda's official website.

The FL5 Type R cannot yet be built on Honda's website, when the car is officially launched then all these questions that enthusiasts have will be answered. It is at that point we should get order numbers, again I have to confirm with the rep for my region. Corporate Honda is being very tight lipped at the moment.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
If the vehicle isn't delayed... My experience has been 3-5 days on average after the production date. I feel lately (within the last month) Honda has really waited to offer a product range until the allocation of vehicle the following month. Perhaps in an effort to reduce delays? I'm not quite sure. However, I feel I have received VIN within the production date range.

When I meant different it was in reference to the VIN. I agree with you on a launch. That is typical Honda fashion. They will then eventually have an on-sale date for the model too.

You mentioned 30-45 days from production to arrival at the dealer. Are you basing that off previous vehicles? It has been so long since we have received vehicles consistently from Japan that I really can't think of a duration. I do think that what you mentioned seems quite reasonable I just can't base it on anything currently. It can take nearly a month for an HR-V from Mexico to make it lol

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Ooo, tell me for Minnesota
I don’t have access to other districts but I have colleagues that do. I’ll try and get with them and maybe make a list of the top 3 for a few states.
Sponsored