• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

I used to vtec

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Civic SI
^ I'm not trying to 'push' or flex on anyone, just replying to a strange and out-of-place comment where someone suggested I was some financially illiterate bum because I want to place a deposit on a CTR. If anyone has any recs on dealers to contact, I'd appreciate it. If someone just wants to soapbox about how dumb everyone else is with finances so they can feel smart, suit yourself, but it's not helpful and falls on deaf ears. I keep seeing comments about how there are dealers out there still taking names, but *which ones*? Can anyone actually provide some names or is this just all hearsay? I have contacted several that I have seen mentioned on this forum and every single one of them has turned me away or told me I was literally 60+ deep on the list.
Sponsored

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
^ I'm not trying to 'push' or flex on anyone, just replying to a strange and out-of-place comment where someone suggested I was some financially illiterate bum because I want to place a deposit on a CTR. If anyone has any recs on dealers to contact, I'd appreciate it. If someone just wants to soapbox about how dumb everyone else is with finances so they can feel smart, suit yourself, but it's not helpful and falls on deaf ears.
So now that you've got that out, let's see what I actually said.

"Americans are financially stupid [there's no formal education for any of it during all of high school or even college] and don't understand a 8% loan on a depreciating asset for 5+ years is a dumb proposition."

At no point did I refer to you as the average American or you're financially illiterate... UNLESS that 8% 5+ year loan is something that applies to you. With that attitude though - good luck to you.

I used to vtec

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Civic SI
Ok, so a totally random comment about financial illiteracy that has nothing to do with my comment and does not provide any useful info? Got it. Glad you could share that with me. This is a pointless argument. Adios.

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
Ok, so a totally random comment about financial illiteracy that has nothing to do with my comment and does not provide any useful info? Got it. Glad you could share that with me. This is a pointless argument. Adios.
We're seeing you don't understand the consequences of the average American. It means they can't afford these things if the financial situation changes even slightly. It's exactly how 2008 happened. Some financial institution (along with some help from the Fed) got people into homes they couldn't afford, especially at the ARM loans that were being approved. Dropped the bottom out of the market and guess what, ALL luxury goods pricing came down with it, cars included. I'm sorry that understanding the very basics of financial markets isn't personal enough for you. I'm guessing you have no idea why pricing across the board is so high right now (it's not inflation, that's just the measurement of how much). So goes the financial aptitude - good luck to you as you'll need it.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
🤣

You just have to love it. Come for assistance on finding a car. Leave with some internet strangers advice and criticism on a forum about cars.

I think that dealers have concerns too.

@I used to vtec you sound like you're a busy bee based off a previous conversation. Is it best to wait three months from now and set some time aside to get a vehicle? If you are willing to pay 5K over I imagine you may be able to swing that with a dealer that has one on their lot... Or negotiate something with a dealer that is slightly higher than that. I think we are at peak FL5 FOMO.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
This conversation took an unnecessary and not really relevant tangent. People of varying financial wellness are wanting these cars and they will continue to do so. @I used to vtec never said anything about that. It’s really not anyone’s business anyway. If someone wants to buy the car at $20k ADM. Awesome. Meanwhile if someone wants to finance the car for 7 years at 8% interest. Awesome. The end.

I think the primary point of this whole thread is simply to help folks find these cars (at an ADM that is reasonable). I think we’ve established that ~$5k ADM is reasonable now and for the foreseeable future. Key word “foreseeable.” Note, it has already been established that supply chain issues will continue thru 2023. So, realistically, (for the foreseeable future) prices are unlikely to improve while supply is low and demand remains high.

With all this in mind, if you know of any ~$5k ADM deals like that (maybe you know someone who didn’t take delivery for some reason, or there’s a random dealer sitting on one), just post them!

Last edited:

I used to vtec

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Civic SI
🤣

You just have to love it. Come for assistance on finding a car. Leave with some internet strangers advice and criticism on a forum about cars.

I think that dealers have concerns too.

@I used to vtec you sound like you're a busy bee based off a previous conversation. Is it best to wait three months from now and set some time aside to get a vehicle? If you are willing to pay 5K over I imagine you may be able to swing that with a dealer that has one on their lot... Or negotiate something with a dealer that is slightly higher than that. I think we are at peak FL5 FOMO.

I may just hold off and wait like you said. I just find myself growing antsy over having a car locked down because every dealer I call that has a waitlist on a car for a reasonable price has deep waitlists. I call the local dealers around me who have CTRs in stock and they want 20k ADMs. Just seems to be no reasonable middleground. But perhaps you're right and this is just peak FOMO with reasonable prices/availability coming up.

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
This conversation took an unnecessary and not really relevant tangent. People of varying financial wellness are wanting these cars and they will continue to do so. @I used to vtec never said anything about that. It’s really not anyone’s business anyway. If someone wants to buy the car at $20k ADM. Awesome. Meanwhile if someone wants to finance the car for 7 years at 8% interest. Awesome. The end.
No one said anything about any specific individual taking that kind of loan anyway. It's simply a reflection of what will be on the market in his 2 year window time frame. We've already seen YOLO kids take that loan and they're unlikely to keep it long term creating additional supply in the time frame he wants it, not today where the first adopters are still scrambling so competing now is silly if you don't want the car soon yet want a good price. The used market helps set the new market, if there's a hundred+ cars nationally on the used market in a few years due to the financial environment, ludicrous new ADM's on new cars don't exist. But even today one can easily get the car at $10k ADM and this is at peak demand as every dealer hasn't even got 1 allocation yet. He makes the choice and wants to compete against the first adopters and pent up demand to his own detriment even getting so frustrated and triggered by a comment that has to do with the people who are paying the high ADM's simply because someone isn't giving him a handout. Giving him a lead is pointless as we've seen just how particular he is, if it's not exactly what he wants, he's gonna complain and push on his misunderstanding to his own detriment so it's not worth the effort. It is what it is. If you want the best deal on the car, WAIT. If you want the car in a few years get your name on a few known fair dealer lists (much of the work is already done on the allocation map) and WAIT. Let the market come to you and quit chasing it, it's that simple.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Hey all,

I'm desperate. Does anyone have any leads on a dealer that will accept a deposit for a car with an adm 5k or less and realistically has spots available? I don't mind waiting a few years for the car but just want some kind of official hold/reservation on one.

I have talked to so, so many dealer. I finally found two who would allow me to reserve one. One for 5k over, another for 2.5k over. Both eventually reneged on the reservation and told me there's too much demand it'll just be first come first served. So tired of calling dealers only to be told no -_-

Man, that really sucks!

the auto-nation chain has said they have a 'no ADM' policy... and while their dealerships are marking up the Rs... i was told they supposedly aren't as aggressive with their markups. I will keep you in mind if i hear of something.

a big problem is that those of us who know of a trustworthy dealer are aware that those dealers are taking deposits and sticking to them -- which takes those opportunities off the market. :(

Also, like @TypeRD and others have said... based on the FK8 and other brands, we have to be realistic that the price of this car is going to be 5k over MSRP. Thankfully, i had assumed that, and was ready to pay it since i didn't have an established relationship with a dealership when i first started looking. You still may get lucky, but i don't think that 2.5k ADM is feasible right now without that connection, so manage your expectations so you aren't disappointed.

Hopefully, we will be able to get you a lead on one... but, as tired as you are, don't give up... keep trying. Lots of people drop out for various reasons, and dealerships do need to move their car in a market that is softening.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
There’s people getting cars without paying ludicrous ADM, including me. That’s going to fuel the chase for others. Perhaps the problem is that the chase is far more difficult than folks realized, but through their own efforts are now finding out. Turning here for help is a logical next step. As I said before, there might be a random small dealership who has one and no waiting list or a very short list. It’s a long shot, but who knows? I don’t take issue with anyone for asking. If I knew of a good deal, I’d post it. It’s no sweat off my back, but could make another person’s day!

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
There’s people getting cars without paying ludicrous ADM, including me. That’s going to fuel the chase for others. Perhaps the problem is that the chase is far more difficult than folks realized, but through their own efforts are now finding out. Turning here for help is a logical next step. As I said before, there might be a random small dealership who has one and no waiting list or a very short list. It’s a long shot, but who knows? I don’t take issue with anyone for asking. If I knew of a good deal, I’d post it. It’s no sweat off my back, but could make another person’s day!
What's all this... Reasonable stuff you're taking? Actually, acting like a helpful member of this community? Cut it out right now!

The used market helps set the new market, if there's a hundred+ cars nationally on the used market in a few years due to the financial environment, ludicrous new ADM's on new cars don't exist.
Can you provide an example of a scenario like this that one could reference or a credible source that backs this logic?

Last edited:

addakatlahemanth

First Name
Hemanth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Man, that really sucks!

the auto-nation chain has said they have a 'no ADM' policy... and while their dealerships are marking up the Rs... i was told they supposedly aren't as aggressive with their markups. I will keep you in mind if i hear of something.

a big problem is that those of us who know of a trustworthy dealer are aware that those dealers are taking deposits and sticking to them -- which takes those opportunities off the market. :(

Also, like @TypeRD and others have said... based on the FK8 and other brands, we have to be realistic that the price of this car is going to be 5k over MSRP. Thankfully, i had assumed that, and was ready to pay it since i didn't have an established relationship with a dealership when i first started looking. You still may get lucky, but i don't think that 2.5k ADM is feasible right now without that connection, so manage your expectations so you aren't disappointed.

Hopefully, we will be able to get you a lead on one... but, as tired as you are, don't give up... keep trying. Lots of people drop out for various reasons, and dealerships do need to move their car in a market that is softening.
I paid 3k ADM on my car. With accessories worth 500 included in it

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSX Type S, '23 RR Type-R #929
Better get your Type-r's fast gentlemen...pretty soon there will be no banks left to lend you money at 10% APR!!!

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
Eh, I disagree that my tactics with them were wrong. For one, I bought a car from one of the dealers within the past two years. I also do all of my emailing from my work email, so they know I'm a physician and can very likely afford the car. I also mentioned being open to cash or financing. And finally, I offered to pay a deposit. Not sure how my intent to be a serious buyer could be misconstrued, personally. I think they only mistake I made was not calling enough dealers until one committed to a deposit to make it somewhat official.
I hounded the shit out of my dealership so bad that they sold me the car to shut me up and they still tried to sell it to someone else first.