• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2023 Type-R comes with K20C1 again!!!? Look inside…your thoughts?

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
Hard to harmonize a four cylinder, but at least it doesn't sound like the latest Toyota AXA A54 family of tractor sounding engines they're currently putting in everything they make, in one form or another.
I dunno, the EA888 sounds pretty good.
Sponsored

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
VW has been using the same EA888 engine for nearly 20 years with constant improvements. Its considered one of the best 4 bangers in the world and it goes in to pretty much everything Audi and VW. I'm sure Honda had made improvements on the last engine.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evo 8, 89 civic si,FK8
I have a feeling that big "skillet" on the intake cools the air coming in and Honda tweek the ecu to get more power.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Could it be an air to water intercooler?

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
It's very subjective, for me the EA888 sound is a reason not to buy a car with an EA888 in it!
Yeah must be, I mean, it sounds like an NA car with actual induction noise. Almost like an NA car with an intake. I guess if you prefer all whooshy inlet noise. Maybe I miss heard or something?

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000, Nissan Skyline R33 GTR
Yeah must be, I mean, it sounds like an NA car with actual induction noise. Almost like an NA car with an intake. I guess if you prefer all whooshy inlet noise. Maybe I miss heard or something?
To be fair I've not heard one from inside the car, I just can't stand the sound from the outside, especially with that messy DSG backfire noise they all seem to make.

If it's like NA induction noise from inside then maybe I could forgive it!

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
induction noise is pumped in. EA888 doens't sound bad, depends on the exhaust. Just a downpipe with resonator delete sounds perfect.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evo 8, 89 civic si,FK8
I think that "skillet" box in front of the engine is some Honda engineered "cooling air intake" system. Cooler air, tweek the ecu and more power.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
Keeping the same engine is a great idea IMO. Just perfect what was already good.

If overheating FK8 was only a problem at the track, then we don’t have a problem. I’m willing to bet it’s addressed on the FL5.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Hard to harmonize a four cylinder, but at least it doesn't sound like the latest Toyota AXA A54 family of tractor sounding engines they're currently putting in everything they make, in one form or another.
I agree that they're never going to sound like the sweet music coming out of an RS3 or something like an R34, but there are manufacturers with pleasant-sounding 4 cylinder turbos. The Veloster N actually sounds pretty good (even without the bangs and pops), as does the newer VW turbo 4's. Even if we chalk some of that up to fake engine sound, why does Honda's fake engine noise sound so much worse? For a company that used to have some of the best sounding small displacement engines around, you'd think that at very least, they'd know how to fake a good engine note through the speakers.

Last edited:

RoidRage

First Name
NA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Car
All this talk about 4 bangers sounding good. Would yall prefer the best sounding 4 popper or the best performing? Imo sound can easily be enhanced vs. Performance. Ex. The N 4 banger is pretty much maxed out from factory. Perfect example is the STI. Sounds ammmmmmazing slow as shit and blows up if u look at it oddly.

NillyVanilly

First Name
Mozart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Supra 3.0P, 2008 Miata, 2008 Tundra
This "K20C1" could be slightly revised still but i never expected much if anything to be changed. We are probably looking at a slightly upgraded turbo that will have a tiny bit more peak and hopefully a slightly wider band with more stable IAT's. The cooling seems to be taken much more seriously with this car so this should be a perfect little package. You will still have the ability to tune to near and way beyond 400WHP easily if wanted. Need to know the reason/function for that "skillet"!
Sponsored