• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
.8 seconds over the expensive LE is no joke at this level. Starts costing a lot to keep getting faster and faster. For example the Porsche 911 GT3 RS isn't even .1 seconds faster than the new Civic type r. Thats a $190k MSRP car and only .08 seconds faster around the same track(2:23.04 vs Type r at 2:23.12).
Also the 0.8 second time difference is very similar to the time difference between the new 911 GT3 and the outgoing GT3 RS on the Nurburgring. So its like saying the new GT3 is a joke lol I think its like a 1.2 second difference. Would be better to see the base FK8 CTR Suzuka time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

sam3r_11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Isn't 243kW/330PS closer to 325 HP? Where did 316 come from?
this is all based on spec but if we look at the fk8 in usa it made 306 however jdm and eu made 316... so if the jdm fl5 made 326 in eu and japan we the usa will get 316 fl5 +10hp over the fk8... why i think sure to different emissions rules and different fuel (eth)

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
most of the US cars are designed around California's 91 octane availability (though funny enough the prototype CTR had a sticker that says 87 octane is programmed in) with the 50-state emissions programming now in place.
Can you give more details about this programming please? I was in the impression that all USA cars meet California emissions for simplicity. Even cars sold in Canada meet the Cali emissions.

thsnks.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
The 87-octane programming is designed to allow people to use regular unleaded without damaging the engine (or getting engine knock from premature detonation). It’s a simple safeguard that most (all?) modern turbo cars have built in.

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
Can you give more details about this programming please? I was in the impression that all USA cars meet California emissions for simplicity. Even cars sold in Canada meet the Cali emissions.

thsnks.
Not sure what you're speaking of in terms of details to the programming? The actual fuel map program? California, as a whole, is such an important market that car manufacturers will bend over backward to comply with California's emissions & fuel schedule. This means lower emissions than other states (not sure about Canada) mandate and having more ethanol/oxygen in the fuel as mandated by California's RFG regs. Also needs to account for the California mandated switch from winter to summer gasoline blends. What does this do? Generally more inconsistent true octane levels and a lower octane overall in California. Manufacturers decided it's not worth having two different programs in place, partially because of the amount of cars that leave California as used vehicles, so decided to simply program every car under California octane availability (91 octane being the highest readily available) and California's emissions standards. It's just a cost to benefit to not have to develop different programs and multiple sets of SKU's. No one is really complaining enough saying they're not going to buy a 50-state emissions car because they know a 49-state emissions car will make 10 more horsepower so simply isn't worth having the regional difference.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
Also worth noting that if you bring a car the other direction--into California, they will check that it's got the factory CA emissions certification plate in the engine bay when you go to register it. So it's just easier for us consumers if we can count on the cars being compatible with all the states.

If you're a car maker, you're not going to let CA emissions hobble your cars. You'll have a target power number, and you'll design your engine to reach that in CA and that's that. No one's going to say "Oh no, your shiny new car in California is just gonna be slower because we, Honda, were just not smart enough to make it slightly cleaner."

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Back in 1998 or thereabouts, someone I know bought an Accord LX with 150 hp here in NY. If I remember the contents of the brochure correctly, I believe they were selling a 148 hp version in CA at the time to meet emissions targets there. I guess everything's standardized now.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
Sorry I messed up the formatting trying to post from my phone but according to Wikipedia:
The following states that have adopted the California standards are: Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year and later), New York, Nevada, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Vermont, and Washington (2009 model year and later), as well as the District of Columbia.[5][6][7][8] Such states are frequently referred to as "CARB states" in automotive discussions because the regulations are defined by the California Air Resources Board.
The EPA adopted the Californian fuel economy and green house gas standard as a national standard by the 2016 model year[9] and is collaborating with Californian regulators on stricter national emissions standards for model years 2017–2025.[1
So as a company it’s just not worth making a separate version.

Last edited:

elisalsa24

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boost Blue FK8

thsnks.
The most cars sold in the US are sold in California and in California the best fuel you can usually get is either e85 or 91 octane so for simplicity they tune the entire US market to match california since a majority of the cars will go there. But everywhere on the east coast has 93 even higher up to 100 in some places. Even then a lot of companies sell their cars with flex fuel already installed

TMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
In Australia we got the FK8 delivered with the same official engine output as north america, and we have what north americans call '93 octane' (98RON here) available just about everywhere. The head of Honda Australia said with 98RON the car will make more power than claimed, whatever that means.

End of the day, a 3% difference in engine power isn't going to make or break the car, let alone even being noticeable. Ultimately new car ~= old car with some minor differences in styling. Take your pick.

I wouldn't want to run a K20C1 on flex fuel / ethanol. Based on the amount of fuel smell you already get in the oil at regular servicing intervals, I wouldn't want measurable amounts of ethanol gathering in there.
Sponsored

Last edited: