• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Aftermarket Exhaust in Ny illegal ?

Diesel34

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 civic SI
in April M the governor in NY made it illegal for shops and business to sell aftermarket exhausts. They also upped the fines to $1000 if you have an overly loud car. Does anyone know more about this law(sleep act) ? I want to get an exhaust for my 22 SI once their available but I’m not sure if I will be able to because no website will deliver to NY or California now.
Sponsored

GetterDragun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Supra Turbo, 1000hp Lexus SC300, 22 Civic Si...
I’ve had no issues buying exhausts in New York.

The fines are real, but they are going after aggravating people with pop and bang tunes like a lot of the BMWs do. If you are cruising around with a decent aftermarket exhaust, it’s not really loud enough (on this car at least) to draw enough attention.

elisalsa24

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boost Blue FK8
in April M the governor in NY made it illegal for shops and business to sell aftermarket exhausts. They also upped the fines to $1000 if you have an overly loud car. Does anyone know more about this law(sleep act) ? I want to get an exhaust for my 22 SI once their available but I’m not sure if I will be able to because no website will deliver to NY or California now.
you'll be fine. How are they gonna know its an aftermarket with all the cars on the road that already come loud af why would they stop a civic

OP
OP

Diesel34

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 civic SI

The fines are real, but they are going after aggravating people with pop and bang tunes like a lot of the BMWs do. If you are cruising around with a decent aftermarket exhaust, it’s not really loud enough (on this car at least) to draw enough attention.
Okay, thanks.
you'll be fine. How are they gonna know its an aftermarket with all the cars on the road that already come loud af why would they stop a civic
I have no concern about being stopped, just trying to figure out how I can get one shipped here. Tried to order a catted downpipe and prl said they don’t ship to my or cali, I did however see the “remark” catback for the si and sport touring can be delivered to NY. Just got scared because my buddies were telling me I wouldn’t be able to order an exhaust here.

CeeBee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT - '21 Civic Hatch EX

Have you been through an inspection with a modified exhaust? The law is relatively new, Oct '21.

GetterDragun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Supra Turbo, 1000hp Lexus SC300, 22 Civic Si...
Yes, an exhaust has nothing to do with emissions testing, in fact the place I get my car inspected put it on.

Exhaust Db level and emissions are not the same.

CeeBee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT - '21 Civic Hatch EX
Figured it might be visual like the cat, but that's good to know.
Sponsored