• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Aftermarket Radiator Options

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I would guess the turbo cooling is responsible for adding a lot of heat to the loop, as well? Seems like even if you were willing to endure the inefficiency of some parallel components in order to retain heating, removing the turbo could both help reduce the rate at which temperatures climb and the max temp. of the loop under given load / context?
Also don’t forget the integrated oil cooler in the car. Oil retains a lot of heat and transfers it to the coolant also so it just compounds on the problem. Another venue to explore. Run dedicated oil cooler and bypass the oil/coolant cooler.
Sponsored

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Yes, the integrated manifold does not help. But other cars have this kind of setup and work. So we need to figure this out somehow lol.
The Elantra N, Focus RS, and GR Corolla have the same problem. Only other car that has a similar setup and is able to run without overheating is the Golf R. It has like 3 heat exchangers vs having one like in the CTR. You need an auxiliary radiator and an oil cooler and depending on how much heat you make you might need to double up. Having just one heat exchanger can only do so much.

One of the fastest FK8s in the US uses the stock radiator with 2 auxiliary radiators + 2 oil coolers. He makes 400WHP and does 20 minute sessions without any cool down laps. Theres lots of posts about this on the Civicx forums but basically the consensus is that you'll need an additional radiator at the minnium if you are overheating at the track.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The Elantra N, Focus RS, and GR Corolla have the same problem. Only other car that has a similar setup and is able to run without overheating is the Golf R. It has like 3 heat exchangers vs having one like in the CTR. You need an auxiliary radiator and an oil cooler and depending on how much heat you make you might need to double up. Having just one heat exchanger can only do so much.

One of the fastest FK8s in the US uses the stock radiator with 2 auxiliary radiators + 2 oil coolers. He makes 400WHP and does 20 minute sessions without any cool down laps. Theres lots of posts about this on the Civicx forums but basically the consensus is that you'll need an additional radiator at the minnium if you are overheating at the track.
Heating issues are not as bad as the FK8 but still present. I will try some stuff to see if it will last 20 minutes stable enough and call it a day. Already ordered the oil cooler, will delete the throttle body lines and do a lower temp thermostat with a upgraded radiator and see where I stand.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The new triple flow tank radiator is provided with one FK8 and one FL5 free of charge. The installation process and Log comparison data before and after the upgrade are required
I would be down to test it and log it for you. What brand will the radiator be coming out under?

OP
OP
MSUGeoman

MSUGeoman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R #2486
I would be down to test it and log it for you. What brand will the radiator be coming out under?
Interested to see what your impression is on this, planning to purchase a radiator for mine in February or March 2024.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Interested to see what your impression is on this, planning to purchase a radiator for mine in February or March 2024.
I will do the testing as soon as I get it and be completely transparent about it.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Heating issues are not as bad as the FK8 but still present. I will try some stuff to see if it will last 20 minutes stable enough and call it a day. Already ordered the oil cooler, will delete the throttle body lines and do a lower temp thermostat with a upgraded radiator and see where I stand.
Yeah thats honestly about all you can do. I live in Florida too (pretty sure we live in the same area lol) so that'll really be putting the cooling system and whatever cooling modifications to the test come summer time. Im holding off on doing that since I am new to this stuff, so I honestly probably won't even be able to push the car hard enough to where it overheats.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yeah thats honestly about all you can do. I live in Florida too (pretty sure we live in the same area lol) so that'll really be putting the cooling system and whatever cooling modifications to the test come summer time. Im holding off on doing that since I am new to this stuff, so I honestly probably won't even be able to push the car hard enough to where it overheats.
Well if you ever need anything let me know! Would be happy to meet up.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Malaysia and Thailand is even hotter and more humid than Florida. I hope it does well.

Vito.FL5

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 1997 civic Vti EK4, 1999 sedan
Corolla GR has a 3 port head not a headifold.

so I honestly probably won't even be able to push the car hard enough to where it overheats.
trust me, you will.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MSUGeoman

MSUGeoman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R #2486
Thanks for all the input Vito, Jester, and PointbyPatrol. Means a lot to have such a high level of direct application and technical expertise.

Questions on the reconfiguration ideas around the cooling system, deleting the TB coolant loop should be easy and is a pretty common change with all the other turbo cars I’ve owned. That being said, divorcing the oil and trans with dedicated coolers also seems easy on face value. Long winded I know, but how would one go about separating the cooling for the turbo as well? Any thoughts on what, if any, upsets this would cause with the OE monitoring/ecu? Could any of them be tied together on a separate heat exchanger, pump, and reservoir or would they all need to be truly separate? Thinking out loud here but would it make sense to have the trans and oil cooler circuit together and the turbo either deleted or on its own circuit? Trying to think of reasonable ways to do this for track use guys while not having to add a bunch of coolers, pumps, tanks and the wiring/plumbing that goes along with all that extra stuff. Keeping things as close to stock as possible and adding a high efficiency radiator with higher flow coolant pump seems to me to be the easier route versus parsing out all those components, but again, thinking out loud here so let me know what you guys think.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for all the input Vito, Jester, and PointbyPatrol. Means a lot to have such a high level of direct application and technical expertise.

Questions on the reconfiguration ideas around the cooling system, deleting the TB coolant loop should be easy and is a pretty common change with all the other turbo cars I’ve owned. That being said, divorcing the oil and trans with dedicated coolers also seems easy on face value. Long winded I know, but how would one go about separating the cooling for the turbo as well? Any thoughts on what, if any, upsets this would cause with the OE monitoring/ecu? Could any of them be tied together on a separate heat exchanger, pump, and reservoir or would they all need to be truly separate? Thinking out loud here but would it make sense to have the trans and oil cooler circuit together and the turbo either deleted or on its own circuit? Trying to think of reasonable ways to do this for track use guys while not having to add a bunch of coolers, pumps, tanks and the wiring/plumbing that goes along with all that extra stuff. Keeping things as close to stock as possible and adding a high efficiency radiator with higher flow coolant pump seems to me to be the easier route versus parsing out all those components, but again, thinking out loud here so let me know what you guys think.
So the main problem with this is that the car runs on the water pump. If you do an alternate routing just for turbo and trans or any other kind of setup it will require a dedicated pump. If not it would have to eventually come in contact with the water pump.

The simplest way would be to have a separate small radiator with an electrical pump to provide the flow to those components.

matttheazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5

Anyone done a higher flow pump? Any options out there. My car is stock besides a HEL oil cooler I just picked up. I want to run 30 minute sessions without fear of overheating. Seems like aftermarket radiator is just not good enough. Curious if anyone has done a pump as well?
Sponsored