• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Any issues with frequently pulling to red line?

explodingGTI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTI
I passed the 1000 km break-in period on my new Si, and I started driving the car much harder - I’m really enjoying revving the car out to close to red line when I accelerate. Any reliability concerns driving the car like this? I make sure the car is warmed up first (5 minutes after it hits temp). I want to drive like this every time, don’t care about fuel efficiency.

I assume Honda designed it to be abused, it’s just so much fun to drive it hard.
Sponsored

S2000toCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
I passed the 1000 km break-in period on my new Si, and I started driving the car much harder - I’m really enjoying revving the car out to close to red line when I accelerate. Any reliability concerns driving the car like this? I make sure the car is warmed up first (5 minutes after it hits temp). I want to drive like this every time, don’t care about fuel efficiency.

I assume Honda designed it to be abused, it’s just so much fun to drive it hard.
Not too sure, but it sounds like you’ll need an upgraded intercooler if you want to floor it all the time. The stock one apparently doesn’t cut it for consistent spirited driving.

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si - Sold, Tesla Model 3
I mean, I would put more than 1000km on a brand new engine before really beating on it, maybe 5000miles and a first oil change. But, that's just my gut feeling, I don't have any data to back that up.

Otherwise, yeah, make sure it's fully warm, check your oil once a month or so, and have fun! Good to hear it's so addictive!

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Not too sure, but it sounds like you’ll need an upgraded intercooler if you want to floor it all the time. The stock one apparently doesn’t cut it for consistent spirited driving.
Stock intercooler works just fine unless you’re flat out for several minutes at a time. Which idk how that’s even possible on any street with traffic.

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si - Sold, Tesla Model 3
Actually, since my Si should be here next week, I did a little search. This Engineering Explained video covers it pretty well.

Based on that, I will take it very easy the first 300 miles and then drive like a normal person (below 4000rpm, no full throttle) until after 1500 miles. I don't think I could wait 5000 miles anyway. :D

Maxdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tundra TRD Sport
I take it easy for the first 500 miles or so and then let it rip. It has served me well for 30+ years and a number of those vehicles have been turbos. I always let the engine warm up before any hard acceleration.

OP
OP

explodingGTI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTI
I mean, I would put more than 1000km on a brand new engine before really beating on it, maybe 5000miles and a first oil change. But, that's just my gut feeling, I don't have any data to back that up.

Otherwise, yeah, make sure it's fully warm, check your oil once a month or so, and have fun! Good to hear it's so addictive!
I'm going by the book - Honda's manual says to avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation for the first 600 miles/1000km. I did take it very easy for the break-in period though, shifted under 4K.

I should probably just enjoy the car and put it out of my mind, if it blows up, it blows up. The car is practically asking for it, with the shift lights and the exhaust note at higher revs. It also pull harder as you get closer to 6K.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
No worries, the dealerships PDI guys/kids/sales guy/car washer,-take your pick- that put gas in your new car have already broken it in at redline all the way to the gas station and back before you ever pick it up.
If it passed that test, stone cold, then it should be OK at least thru the warranty period.

Last edited:

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
I passed the 1000 km break-in period ...I want to drive like this every time, don’t care about fuel efficiency.
Don't spin the tires, slip the clutch, or "money shift" and you're good to go in any modern Honda after 600 miles - others, not so much.

Last edited:

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Actually, since my Si should be here next week, I did a little search. This Engineering Explained video covers it pretty well.

Based on that, I will take it very easy the first 300 miles and then drive like a normal person (below 4000rpm, no full throttle) until after 1500 miles. I don't think I could wait 5000 miles anyway. :D

Especially a Subaru 2.5L Turbo-as pictured-not sure that's intentional or not. Hoo boy when they go, they go!