• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Just purchased a 2022 Civic SI! Anyone have Ktuner with Clutch Issues?

j3pp

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic SI
Hello, just bought a 22 SI (kind of on a whim). I’ve been eyeballing this car for about a year and decided to jump the gun and ask for forgiveness instead of permission from the wife. It wasn’t as bad as I thought since it’s somewhat of a “family car” and I have 3 kids.

I paid close to $5k above MSRP but it came with window tints, mud guards, floor mats, etc. I know, sucks but I guess it’s normal for this market. Also worth noting they gave me about $4k above what my trade in value was on KBB (2019 Honda Fit EX) so that lightened the blow a little bit.

Since I was gonna ask for forgiveness anyway, I went ahead and ordered a Ktuner w/ free Stage 1.5 tune at Phearable so I’m killing two birds with one stone. I’ve been seeing some threads stating that the clutch is pretty weak on these cars. I’m not looking to exceed 21 psi and I drive like a granny. Anyone experiencing clutch slippage? I plan to keep it bone stock sans the tune.

Cheers,

Jeff

11th Gen Honda Civic Just purchased a 2022 Civic SI! Anyone have Ktuner with Clutch Issues? 11D488EA-EB8D-414B-931F-B5C47BECA71C
Sponsored

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Depending on how you drive the stock clutch will survive but it will not last. If you drive more aggressive prepare to budget for a clutch sooner than later. The clutch also won't be covered under warranty because of the tune. There'd also be no point in replacing the stock clutch with a stock clutch because it would eventually start slipping again. How long it lasts is solely dependent on how you drive, if you aren't aggressive with launches and shifts it will last longer.

DYI01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2019 Nissan Titan, 2017 Yamaha FZ10
I did a very easy engine and clutch break in for 2k miles before I did any hard full throttle pulls and fast shifts. I installed the KTuner and Phearable 1.5R map and got the clutch to slip within 4 days on map3. If you keep it on map2 you should not have any issues, so stay away from map3 if you want to keep the stock clutch from slipping. I just recently had the RV6 FK8 retrofit flywheel/clutch installed and am still in the process of breaking it in.

OP
OP
j3pp

j3pp

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic SI
I did a very easy engine and clutch break in for 2k miles before I did any hard full throttle pulls and fast shifts. I installed the KTuner and Phearable 1.5R map and got the clutch to slip within 4 days on map3. If you keep it on map2 you should not have any issues, so stay away from map3 if you want to keep the stock clutch from slipping. I just recently had the RV6 FK8 retrofit flywheel/clutch installed and am still in the process of breaking it in.
How light is the clutch feeling for that kit/flywheel? Did you do the stage 0?

DYI01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2019 Nissan Titan, 2017 Yamaha FZ10
How light is the clutch feeling for that kit/flywheel? Did you do the stage 0?
I did the stage 0, OEM FK8 clutches easily hold 400 wtq which is way above any goals I have for this car. I would say between 5-10% stiffer clutch pedal with way more 'feel' in the pedal. Its hard to say how much of the pedal feel is changed due to the PRL stainless steel clutch line or the clutch itself.

OP
OP
j3pp

j3pp

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic SI
I did the stage 0, OEM FK8 clutches easily hold 400 wtq which is way above any goals I have for this car. I would say between 5-10% stiffer clutch pedal with way more 'feel' in the pedal. Its hard to say how much of the pedal feel is changed due to the PRL stainless steel clutch line or the clutch itself.
I’m debating not even using the Phearable tune and just going with the more conservative Ktuner tunes. The Starter 21 still claims 21psi on Sport and 18psi on Normal. I’m really not wanting to upgrade the stock clutch just yet.

Dmorrow

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Type R, 22 Civic SI
I had the phearable tune on my 10th Gen SI for 14k miles with no clutch slippage mostly on map 2. Have had the tune on my 22 SI for 8k miles still with no slippage. Both cars have seen multiple track days as well. I know some people are lucky and some are not...

OP
OP
j3pp

j3pp

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic SI
I had the phearable tune on my 10th Gen SI for 14k miles with no clutch slippage mostly on map 2. Have had the tune on my 22 SI for 8k miles still with no slippage. Both cars have seen multiple track days as well. I know some people are lucky and some are not...
I’m wondering if it has to do with A01 vs A02 batches of cars. It’s crazy to me how sporadic the clutches are with these cars.

chopsuey34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
I’m wondering if it has to do with A01 vs A02 batches of cars. It’s crazy to me how sporadic the clutches are with these cars.
This isn't related to tuning, but since you're using the Si as a family car, would you please describe how firm the suspension is? I'm trying to decide if the Si is too stiff for me as a daily driver here in Michigan. How is going over bumps and potholes in the road?

Thanks!

OP
OP
j3pp

j3pp

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic SI
This isn't related to tuning, but since you're using the Si as a family car, would you please describe how firm the suspension is? I'm trying to decide if the Si is too stiff for me as a daily driver here in Michigan. How is going over bumps and potholes in the road?

Thanks!
The car is definitely “stiff” however, the suspension seems to damp the springs very well. It isn’t “bouncy” if that makes sense. You feel the bumps, but it is very smooth. For reference, I traded in my 2019 Honda Fit EX and the suspension behaves similar to that. I think it is completely fine as a family car if you keep the suspension stock.

jsocks014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Nissan Titan Pro-4x
You’re likely to have clutch slip in medium and high boost tunes from Phearable. I do in 4-6th gear and only have down pipe and front pipe. Run their low boost tune and enjoy how the car should have been tuned from the factory.

axion_industries

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit Gk5 L15B7 swap, 2012 Civic Si
First mod should always be a Ktuner, second mod should be looking into a clutch if you know you want to go further. We upgraded our whole trans and clutch at 800 miles on the car knowing what we would be doing down the road

kanav

First Name
Kanav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si Black
Drove my car on 1.5R map 3 for 17000km pretty aggressively, I noticed some slip but it didn't seem too bad, once I switched to the rv6 retro flywheel + stage 0 clutch I realized how much the car was actually slipping, the car pulls much harder in 2nd/3rd gear now

I think at the very least you should do the rv6 retro kit + the tune and the car will still feel/drive like stock just quicker
Sponsored