• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Just purchased a boost blue fl5 type r in CA

stevie2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic type r (boost blue)
Been shopping around for ~3 weeks and finally settled on msrp +5k markup last week. However, after agreeing on the markup, they "remembered" to tell me that there were $2885 worth of dealer addons that cannot be removed.

- wheel locks
- theft protection

I took the car home, and realized that no wheel locks were even installed on the car. so now im thinking it was a dealer tactic to hike up their profits.

has anyone recently purchased one in the last month or so in orange county, CA? what was your out the door price?
11th Gen Honda Civic Just purchased a boost blue fl5 type r in CA 20230708_142714
Sponsored

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R
Which OC dealer did u purchase from? Btw congrats.

SoStoke

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL9
Picked up my wife an LF5 in CW about a week ago.
+5k mark up but like you “mandatory dealer added options” about 3k worth. So 8k+.
In SAN DIEGO
11th Gen Honda Civic Just purchased a boost blue fl5 type r in CA IMG_5952

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
First congratulations on a great car in a great color.
Second, review your paperwork - if they actually wrote 'wheel locks' on there and there are none - or they are a standard feature -you may have them by the short shifter. I am not an attorney, but may be worth checking out. There are probably free consumer resources out there who would love to help.
I don't begrudge a dealer making a profit - but deception is not okay.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Though we’ve read many stories of dirt bag sales tactics, it could be something stupid, like the sales guy said the car is supposed to have all that stuff, but failed to tell the service dept to order it and/or install it. Regardless, there should be an itemized list of the ~$3k in mandatory accessories somewhere in your paperwork. Find it and go back to the dealership with it.

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
Congrats great color great car,go back to the dealership, of it says wheel locks and you were charged accordingly, go get them,shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
stevie2k

stevie2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i called them and they said I can come in to have the wheel locks installed.

my bigger issue is the deception. The dealer addons didnt even come up until after they realized I wouldnt pay above 5k+msrp. I even asked them why these dealer addons werent listed next to the sticker as an addendum like all the other cars on the lot that I saw.

They just said its because they hadnt gotten to it yet. But now that I see wheel locks were never even installed, I feel like they just made up the $2885 dealer addons to offset the "loss in dealer markup". (original $15k dealer mark up)

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Well at least the Honda community - or at least those on this forum who saw your thread- know now.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R

my bigger issue is the deception. The dealer addons didnt even come up until after they realized I wouldnt pay above 5k+msrp. I even asked them why these dealer addons werent listed next to the sticker as an addendum like all the other cars on the lot that I saw.

They just said its because they hadnt gotten to it yet. But now that I see wheel locks were never even installed, I feel like they just made up the $2885 dealer addons to offset the "loss in dealer markup". (original $15k dealer mark up)
Totally agree that the dealer's tactics were dirty, but you've already signed the papers and if they make things right by providing the promised add-ons, then it's too late to back out unless you can prove some kind of intentional fraud. Try to let it go and enjoy your car. Otherwise you're just stressing yourself out.

OP
OP
stevie2k

stevie2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yup, i have no intention of reversing anything.. more wanted to see other's experience with this type of tactic.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Let us know how it pans out. I hope you didn’t pay ~$3k just for wheel locks. I’m sure they have a “standard package” of mostly unnecessary crap “they put on all their cars.”

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Ariel Atom
Been shopping around for ~3 weeks and finally settled on msrp +5k markup last week. However, after agreeing on the markup, they "remembered" to tell me that there were $2885 worth of dealer addons that cannot be removed.

- wheel locks
- theft protection

I took the car home, and realized that no wheel locks were even installed on the car. so now im thinking it was a dealer tactic to hike up their profits.

has anyone recently purchased one in the last month or so in orange county, CA? what was your out the door price?
20230708_142714.jpg
Congrats on the car! Don't let the negative interaction of the dealer sour your experience, its a stunning color! Cali is a different market than the rest of the States. I think 8K is probably an average to good price out there. Boost Blue was not my initial choice in color, but having owned it for 7 months now, I wouldn't change a thing. Good luck!

RickyJeezus

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R

This is why negotiation is important, when a 'magical' cost comes up thats when you back out of the deal....yes even when you really want the car.

I have prior experience with this dealer when I leased my 10th gen si coupe in 2017.
We had agreed to numbers over the phone, then when I get there somehow the gentleman I was talking to is not there, and my numbers were about $100 off from what it was 'supposed' to be.
Hours later, with the sales manager coming out and trying to talk to me, they allowed me to take it at my number. That was until the finance manager in the middle of doing paperwork said we had the wrong residual the whole time.
The great thing was that I had already mentally prepared to leave, it was not an issue as I know there are about 20 other dealers I could get the car from, and I was ready to leave at that point, until of course he came back and said he will honor our deal. (btw the deal was $0 no money out of pocket $245/mo including tax 36 month/12k miles)

Also, it might be illegal in California to charge an addendum without having it disclosed on the vehicle, though at this point I don't know if there is anything you can really do about it.

(Edit: All this being said and done, you got an awesome car, congratulations and go drive the shit out of it!)
Sponsored

Last edited: