• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Anyone else find that going into 6th gear in the Type R is not as easy as other Honda's?

AUGM1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SI
Had a 2007 Si and a 2019 Si before this new Type R, and they were more positive and easily put into 6th gear.
It seems like 4th and 6th are too close or something.
Also, is it possible to miss 6th and go into reverse on the new R, or is it locked out at speed?
Before anyone says I don't know how to drive a manual, I've been driving them for damn near 30 years, but have only driven 6 speeds since 2007.
Sponsored

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
I haven't driven much other Hondas but I've driven other sports cars from other brands.

I'm pretty sure there's a lockout to prevent you from going into reverse at speed.

It doesn't seem all that difficult to go into sixth. You just have to be careful and precise with the shift patterns. I don't find anything wrong or any unusual difficulty.

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Also, is it possible to miss 6th and go into reverse on the new R, or is it locked out at speed?
The gate between 4th and 6th isn't as close as you say. You probably need to get used to the shifter some more.

Reverse is locked out as soon as you move. You won't go accidentally go into reverse from 5th.

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winter beater currently
I found it difficult to get into reverse last time I drove it, and I was at a standstill. Been driving manual Hondas for over 20 years. Hoping it’s a problem that won’t happen again, especially after break-in period.

Last edited:

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
I found it difficult to get into reverse last time I drove it, and I was at a standstill. Been driving manual Hondas for over 20 years. Hoping it’s a problem that won’t happen again, especially after break-in period.
I always shift from 3rd to R it seems to help.

HondaFan777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2023 Pilot Elite
My R feels good to me going into 6th gear. I've owned many 6th speed Hondas starting with my 03 S2k and 03 Accord 6-6 back in 2003 and this car feels no different for gear changes. The gear box is closer to a S2k than other Hondas though IMO.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Had a 2007 Si and a 2019 Si before this new Type R, and they were more positive and easily put into 6th gear.
Before anyone says I don't know how to drive a manual, I've been driving them for damn near 30 years, but have only driven 6 speeds since 2007.
I have a FL5, and previously owned a '07 Civic Si--the FL5's throws are shorter and gate is tighter, so it may take some getting used to.

Like the Si, there's a reverse lockout at speed, so you're not going to accidentally throw it into reverse. Don't fear pushing it clear to the right for 6th, you won't miss it.

Fl5#727

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic type r
This should help in that scenario. I found that sometimes in my 2013 Si that i had before the type r, it wouldn’t want to go in reverse sometimes (I guess they call
This lockout?) I did some research and people on the forums said to put it in first and then put it in reverse. Like all in one motion if that makes sense. Like if you’re in neutral, put it in first and then immediately in reverse and it slips right in reverse. I think they said it helps align the synchros or something like that.

That actually became my routine in that car when I’d first start it up and was backing out of the garage or backing up anywhere.

I don’t need to do this in the type r though it’s so buttery smooth going into reverse it’s very satisfying.

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
people on the forums said to put it in first and then put it in reverse. Like all in one motion if that makes sense. Like if you’re in neutral, put it in first and then immediately in reverse and it slips right in reverse. I think they said it helps align the synchros or something like that.
You are spot on. Not all manual transmission has synchronizer on reverse gear. If there is no synchro on reverse (sometimes it's just a reverse idler gear) and just go in there whenever, you can get a crunch when things don't line up.

By going into first (or any gear as far away as possible), then reverse, you should be able to go into reverse like butter.
Sponsored