• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Anyone try the 11th gen SPOON springs yet? Or H&R?

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si - Sold, Tesla Model 3
My finger is hovering over the checkout button, but I think I'll probably wait until after the holidays. Anyone have these yet? I have not been impressed by most of the 11th gen cars lowered with 10th gen springs so far, they are too low in the rear and it just doesn't look good.

https://spoonusa.com/spoon-progressive-spring-civic-fl1

http://www.hrsprings.com/application/search/results/13/2500/2022/

I am also liking the H&R 51893, which is also 11th gen specific and has progressive rates like the Spoon. However I like the Spoon's milder drop - 1" vs 1.4". Plus, I mean its SPOON - can't get much cooler than that in the Honda world!

Also, there is this video of Drift King Tsuchiya driving an American Si on Spoon springs and loving it:

Sponsored

DYI01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2019 Nissan Titan, 2017 Yamaha FZ10
OEM JDM FL1 HatchF: 2.7kgf/mm, 155in/lbR: 2.8kgf/mm, 156in/lb
OEM USDM SiF: 2.7kgf/mm, 155in/lbR: 5.7kgf/mm, 320in/lb
Spoon Sports FL1 springsF: 3.4kgf/mm, 190in/lbR: 3.4kgf/mm, 190in/lb

If you care much about spring rates I probably wouldn't do the Spoon springs. The front rates are pretty good, but the rear is significantly softer. The H&R don't have data on the spring rates. Eibach also just released a new spring set just for the '22+ Si. Also without any data on spring rates.

Lindy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si
What a great video find! Also good info about the spring rates, why are the US spec rear springs so much stiffer?

OGGsr

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2022 Civic Si

If you care much about spring rates I probably wouldn't do the Spoon springs. The front rates are pretty good, but the rear is significantly softer. The H&R don't have data on the spring rates. Eibach also just released a new spring set just for the '22+ Si. Also without any data on spring rates.
This. I've played around a bit with spring rates and the OEM '22 Si spring rates provide the best handling that I've experienced so far. The Swift Spec R 10th gen Si springs come very close but lower the car about 1.4 if I remember correctly.

Lindy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si
Yeah, kind of a bummer. I was really hoping for great spoon engineering and a moderate drop

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
I've used H&R on almost all of my Civic's and they are the best ride quality I have found on a lowering spring.

OP
OP

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I appreciate your research and I can see where you're coming from. However, without knowing what the spring rate on the H&R or Eibach is, it's kind of a moot point.

Also, here's some food for thought on spring rates from H&R's own website. I'm not sure we can say that the OEM rear spring is better just because it has a higher stated spring rate. Especially when we are talking about a linear vs a progressive spring.

https://www.hrsprings.com/technical/spring-rate-101

I have no doubt that the H&R and Eibach springs are good. I have Eibach pro-kit springs on my E55 and they're great.

But with the Spoons, you know you are getting something that was developed by people with decades of experience building some of the best Honda racecars in the world. I mean that video I posted above shows you that they develop those exact springs on the track in the car that they're designed for. Do H&R and Eibach do that? They build springs for basically every vehicle made, so I highly doubt it. I'm sure they have sophisticated computer modeling that gets them really close, but it's not quite the same as a small company that only builds parts for Hondas.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for a brand name, but I think these guys know what they're doing when it comes to building sweet Hondas:

OP
OP

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I asked if anyone had tried them yet. If someone came in and said they had and they were terrible, I would want to know that.

Also, isnā€™t this a car forum? Weā€™re supposed to be here to talk about cars, no?

Lindy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si
You make some good points, that was my understanding of Spoon. Let me know how you like them if you go that way! Lol

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
I love Spoon. Iā€™ve visited their Tokyo HQ in person and have Spoon parts on my S2000. Butā€¦ theyā€™re not the last name in tuning when it comes to Honda. They are actually quite conservative in their tuning and outsource most of their big ticket items (brakes by Nissin, shocks by Showa, wheels by Desmond Regamaster and then Tan-Ei-Sya, etc.).

Point being, Eibach and H&R actually build their own springs, and employ engineers for the specific purpose of designing them. I donā€™t know who manufacturers Spoonā€™s springs, but I *believe* itā€™s outsourced. They have some machining capabilities in-house but I donā€™t think they spin their own springs. Their HQ is a three-story building probably not larger than 6,000 sq.ft., so production capability is limited.

Not to take anything away from Spoon ā€” again, count me as a fan ā€” but discounting other reputable companies for *not* being Spoon is a bit silly.

EDIT: Added some qualifiers.

Last edited:

zeroptzero

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2022 Subaru WRX
I remember running some Tein springs in the past on other cars I owned, Tein just carried over the same spring rates from past vehicles to newer vehicles and it didn't work very well. Sometimes companies offer products to get them out to market quickly and will guess at works well without too much testing, and base them on past models. I've had lots of Spoon products in the past, some work great and some are so-so.

I'm super happy with the factory Si suspension thus far, I don't think I will try springs or shocks, maybe a rear sway bar will be my first mod.
Sponsored