• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Break-in / misc

SKM348

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 BMW X5 - ‘23 Civic HB Sport Tour 6MT
Just a few questions after my 1st day of ownership...

I have looked in owners manual for info on any break-in procedures but couldn’t find any. So is it ok to just drive it normally? I feel I should at least take it easy on hard accelerations, at least for a little bit.

Do most here let the turbo cool down for 30-60 seconds before shutting off engine?

Owners manual shows a setting to show the gear indicator in the gauge cluster but my settings don’t show that as an option. Looks like it’s only for CVT or Type R Would be neat to see if a Honda tech could plug into diagnostics and ‘turn on’ that feature, assuming it’s possible.

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

chopsuey34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
If you have been driving normally, you don't need to wait before turning off the engine. You only need to either wait or drive a few cooldown miles if you've been driving really hard to let the oil fall back down to normal operating temps (like in autocross / track driving).

https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-life/break-in-a-new-car.html#pwjt-4

Tony503

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mazda3 Turbo, 13 FR-S, 03 RSX Type S
See pages 500-501 for break in info: "During the first 600 miles (1,000 km) of operation, avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation so as not to damage the engine or powertrain.
Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km) after purchasing your new vehicle or replacing the brake pads or rotors, to allow for proper break-in."

OP
OP

SKM348

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 BMW X5 - ‘23 Civic HB Sport Tour 6MT
Tony, thanks for pointing that out.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
See pages 500-501 for break in info: "During the first 600 miles (1,000 km) of operation, avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation so as not to damage the engine or powertrain.
Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km) after purchasing your new vehicle or replacing the brake pads or rotors, to allow for proper break-in."
Its funny that they say this when they dyno the car coming of the assembly line.😂

Deleted member 42932

Some individuals advise to drive the vehicle hard to break it in. According to those individuals, they've never had issues with their cars. Has anyone had any experience with the latter?

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Its funny that they say this when they dyno the car coming of the assembly line.😂
That’s a very controlled test…unlike when the car is let free into the wild. No comparison.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Some individuals advise to drive the vehicle hard to break it in. According to those individuals, they've never had issues with their cars. Has anyone had any experience with the latter?
Go for it if you’re not worried. It would be difficult to trace an engine failure back to the break-in period…unless the failure happens during break-in. I wouldn’t risk it, personally. The engineers, though conservative, state the break-in period / process in the manual for a reason.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
That’s a very controlled test…unlike when the car is let free into the wild. No comparison.
on that we disagree, wot is wot, load from the rollers is different don’t know which dyno they use. But if its eddy current capable it cam simulate load pretty accurately. Still I break in my cars easy and as soon as they have a bit more miles I start opening it up gradually then transition into wot pulls single gear and then progress to couple of gears and so forth.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I usually do a mix, and its worked great with no failures or issues. And good ring sealing, very little blow by. Start driving normal and vary rpms in the first hundred miles or so. Then start adding a little more load still no boost just faster acceleration varying rpms and through all gears. Transmission has to wear in too. Then I proceed to add even more load and low amounts of boost and so on. This is spread around 1k miles on my cars.

nawfoo

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra Si
I just turn the car off, there's no need to let it idle. Turbo timers are basically blow off valves.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
on that we disagree, wot is wot, load from the rollers is different don’t know which dyno they use. But if its eddy current capable it cam simulate load pretty accurately. Still I break in my cars easy and as soon as they have a bit more miles I start opening it up gradually then transition into wot pulls single gear and then progress to couple of gears and so forth.
I see what you’re saying, but what’s to disagree?

All I’m saying is the factory dyno test is very controlled regardless of dyno used or stress being simulated. They test in a controlled environment, a controlled number of times, for a controlled duration. This has very little correlation to what an owner might do to randomly “test” the car out on a random street several times a day in random 100 degree heat or -20 cold or whatever. The variables are an order of magnitude greater than testing in a lab a few times. Make sense?🙂

Regardless, I agree with your gradual break-in approach. Thankfully the first 600 miles go by pretty fast, unlike back in the day when it was recommended to break-in for like 3000+ miles or more.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I see what you’re saying, but what’s to disagree?

All I’m saying is the factory dyno test is very controlled regardless of dyno used or stress being simulated. They test in a controlled environment, a controlled number of times, for a controlled duration. This has very little correlation to what an owner might do to randomly “test” the car out on a random street several times a day in random 100 degree heat or -20 cold or whatever. The variables are an order of magnitude greater than testing in a lab a few times. Make sense?🙂

Regardless, I agree with your gradual break-in approach. Thankfully the first 600 miles go by pretty fast, unlike back in the day when it was recommended to break-in for like 3000+ miles or more.
If you drive like an ass then its on the owner for sure. I just find it funny that it does get dynoed at the factory coming off the assembly line.

nawfoo

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra Si
Huh? I think you got turbo timers and BOV’s mixed up.
I meant turbo timers and Blow Off Valves are both useless and harm the car more. Plus it was kind of a ricer modification 20 years ago.
Sponsored