• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Carmate JDM Keycase

TR3BLE

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R (FL5)
One of the best purchases I’ve done for the Type R.

Really hated how the glossy part of the key would always get scratched up on the FK8 so this has been a must have for me.

Sponsored

Reactions: rui

HONDANB

First Name
JOHN DOE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NEEDED
Affects the remote functions.

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Confirming as well, every carbon fiber cover I've tried makes it so you have to be less than 5ft or so of the car for the fob to work. I love the look and protection, but it's not worth nerfing the remote that intensely.

OP
OP

TR3BLE

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R (FL5)
Confirming as well, every carbon fiber cover I've tried makes it so you have to be less than 5ft or so of the car for the fob to work. I love the look and protection, but it's not worth nerfing the remote that intensely.
This is a fake carbon fiber (plastic) cover, Honda Access has similar plastic/faux carbon cases on sale for Japanese customers so I suspect this is blown out of proportion than it really is.

Last edited:

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
This is a fake carbon fiber cover, Honda Access has similar plastic/faux carbon cases on sale for Japanese customers so I suspect this is blown out of proportion than it really is.
I'd imagine the case I used was faux carbon as well. Not sure. Have you noticed this case effecting the range on your fob?

OP
OP

TR3BLE

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R (FL5)
I'd imagine the case I used was faux carbon as well. Not sure. Have you noticed this case effecting the range on your fob?
No loss in range, I can lock and unlock the car if its outside from my house. One can only assume its not degrading the signal that much for it to be a worry.

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
No loss in range, I can lock and unlock the car if its outside from my house. One can only assume its not degrading the signal that much for it to be a worry.
I might check this particular model out then. I really like to look and feel of these.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah, that’d be helpful info if you could try the fob with and without the cover and let us know really how badly it affects range. As I’m not sure anyone knows the actual range of the fob, if you came back and said it seems to negatively impact range by ~50% that’d be a good general guesstimate. I have doubts that it truly reduces range to within 5 ft of the car.

OP
OP

TR3BLE

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R (FL5)
I might check this particular model out then. I really like to look and feel of these.
The company being Japanese, they’re very cautious so they will warn that it MAY cause slight signal loss but in real world use I havent seen a drastic loss. If the battery is weak I can see it maybe happen but thats at least a year or two down the line.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Have you found anywhere in the US that stocks these? I haven't been a fan of any of the silicone cases I've tried. They don't fit well and always get dirty so quickly.

Bonito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Did some research and turns out that carbon fiber makes for an effective RF shield. Carbon fiber-look (which I believe is the case with this Carmate cover) should work just fine. Actual CF is gonna hurt your range though.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I bought cheap silicone covers as a temporary solution until I find something better that folks are having good experience with. These faux CF covers might be the ticket.

The silicone covers are fine, but a couple of things I don’t like 1) Looks kinda cheap 2) It’s grippy so my keys don’t just slide in and out of my pockets.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
1320 yen!!!
Oh wait, that’s only about $10.🤣

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
while i also want to preserve the case, this sadly adds more bulk. Does anyone make a device that shrinks all the keyfobs down so the group of them become pocket-size?? :rolleyes: :p
Sponsored