• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Cobb Tuning getting in the Type R Game

roadsniper1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 16 GT4, 18 911T, 05 S2K, 23 Tundra
As I mentioned previously, I've had 2 cars running Cobb and have had zero hiccups. Both tracked and driven hard. Super happy with the power and reliability. More competition is good for the consumer what's with the Hondata fanbois:p
Sponsored

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Cobb is restricted by the EPA and won’t be able to do a LOT of the things that Hondata can.
Hondata is great, I love it. But can you lay this out for everyone? What does "restricted by the EPA" mean exactly in this context and what can Hondata do that Cobb cannot? Since you inferred the gap to be large between the two, it should be easy to rattle off a laundry list of items that makes Cobb's solution, which isn't even out yet, a loser relative to Hondata.

Not really, just getting a more limited product so to me it makes no sense. But to each their own.
I appreciate your perspective, I really do but you have your thumb on the scale. You've aligned yourself with Hondata as a vendor selling tunes using their platform. And when an alternative pops up, the bashing commences. If Cobb is limited, nothing even needs to be said, right? Hondata will run away with this thing.

People tend to vote with their wallets. Let the people decide. And competition is great! It makes products and services better, drives innovation, fosters better outcomes for consumers, and the list goes on.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
As I mentioned previously, I've had 2 cars running Cobb and have had zero hiccups. Both tracked and driven hard. Super happy with the power and reliability. More competition is good for the consumer what's with the Hondata fanbois:p
It is not being a fanboi, I’m just being honest. I used cobb products since 2008 so I’m very well versed with the product and have tuned many cars on this platform. Just stating that it is not like it was before that is all.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5
It is not being a fanboi, I’m just being honest. I used cobb products since 2008 so I’m very well versed with the product and have tuned many cars on this platform. Just stating that it is not like it was before that is all.
same here, I've used both. Definitely prefer hondata. I've also used ktuner.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Hondata is great, I love it. But can you lay this out for everyone? What does "restricted by the EPA" mean exactly in this context and what can Hondata do that Cobb cannot? Since you inferred the gap to be large between the two, it should be easy to rattle off a laundry list of items that makes Cobb's solution, which isn't even out yet, a loser relative to Hondata.

I appreciate your perspective, I really do but you have your thumb on the scale. You've aligned yourself with Hondata as a vendor selling tunes using their platform. And when an alternative pops up, the bashing commences. If Cobb is limited, nothing even needs to be said, right? Hondata will run away with this thing.

People tend to vote with their wallets. Let the people decide. And competition is great! It makes products and services better, drives innovation, fosters better outcomes for consumers, and the list goes on.
And I agree, let people decide but I’m not doing this because I’m a vendor focusing on Hondata. I really don’t mind people buying other products and to each their own. I also agree that competition is great. So we are in agreement.

Now that being said it would be a disservice to the community if I did not share from my experience. I have always tried to share information and educate the community as much as possible with nothing to gain. I recently became a vendor and this was decided last month so again I’m not doing this for my benefit.

Cobb products are not bad, just giving the word of caution that it is more limited than Hondata and that if you are spending your money to at least have all the facts so you can make the choice you want. And this is again with no bias just facts of both products. I even helped with some of the brainstorming for features for focus ST AP back when they came out in 2013 talking directly with cobb through the forums. Like global timing adjustments, map switching, fuel scaling for multiple maps instead of a global one to avoid the need to flash when switching fuels just to name a few.

Cobb:
Pros:
Portability and no need for remote unlock
Logging capabilities from AP
OTS maps are decent

Cons:
No end user software (only protuner available)
No ability to turn off DCT’s

Hondata:
Pros:
Can tune everything and delete DCT’s to your hearts content.

End user software and map sharing

Cons:
Logging needs to be with a laptop or through Hondata app.

Requires remote unlock.

Again nothing to gain just when you make your choice to just remember to spend your money where it makes sense to you. I have customers that got screwed over by cobb with the green initiative in the middle of a race season. Locked out of their cars functionality and their dashboards lit up like christmas trees with a huge bill to make the car work or jump ship to another tuning platform.

Last edited:

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 CW CTR
Here's my take and I enjoy reading some of the comments in this thread. I have some of the best Cobb Protuners around by me that I have used for well over a decade and feel very comfortable if they were to tune my incoming CTR. I have zero Honda people around the Mass area so that's a big deal to me. Also not everyone has to go as far past just a safe OTS tune so all of the solutions can work just fine.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Here's my take and I enjoy reading some of the comments in this thread. I have some of the best Cobb Protuners around by me that I have used for well over a decade and feel very comfortable if they were to tune my incoming CTR. I have zero Honda people around the Mass area so that's a big deal to me. Also not everyone has to go as far past just a safe OTS tune so all of the solutions can work just fine.
Oh I agree, it just depends on the needs of the customer. For lightly modded cars cobb will work just fine. But extra care will be needed for high flow downpipes since not all of them keep the CEL from triggering. Or if running lower temp thermostats and things that might just trigger it.

I used to do a lot of cobb back in the day. Never went protuner since the requirements for Protuner status requires a big commitment to Cobb and when you don’t make a living out of this or going all out its not worth it to most.
Sponsored