Sponsored

[DIY / 3D Print] FL5 Custom Covered Storage Box (WIP)

aqf23

Member
First Name
Alvaro
Joined
Oct 19, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
14
Reaction score
34
Location
Basque Country, Spain
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CW
Hey everyone,

After the great feedback on my previous project—the FL5 Precision Fender Vent Guards—I'm back with another CAD and 3D printing project for the FL5!

To be completely honest, I thought about starting this project over half a year ago, but life got busy. On top of that, I’ll admit I felt a bit demotivated after seeing my fender guard designs being ripped off and sold elsewhere without my permission. It definitely takes the wind out of your sails when you design something for the community non-profit, only for others to monetize it. It’s also crazy to me that years after the FL5 was released, there still isn’t a proper commercial aftermarket solution for this area! But here we are—I still want a proper fix for my own car.

Personally, I think the open dual cupholder is the most useless feature in the entire FL5 interior. It’s a huge open "pit" right in the center console that breaks the clean cockpit aesthetic, when it should be one of the most practical storage spots in the car.

My goal for this project is to convert that open space into a proper, covered OEM+ style storage compartment.

The Concept & Features:
  • Mercedes-Style Butterfly Lids: Instead of a single massive door, it will feature two lids opening split down the middle toward the sides.
  • Removable Internal Tray: Inside the main compartment, there will be a removable drop-in tray to keep small daily items organized.
  • Push-Button Spring Mechanism: A button release will trigger two springs to snap/flip both doors open outward to each side.
  • 100% Reversible / Press-Fit Mounting: The entire base assembly (FL5_Cupholder_Frame_Base) will be a friction press-fit into the factory cupholder recess. I'll be using a 2mm high-density foam tape layer on the contact surfaces—this guarantees a snug fit, prevents any potential rattles/vibrations, and protects the factory OEM plastics from getting scratched or marked. No permanent modifications, drilling, or screws required.
Current CAD Challenges & Design State:
The design is still very much a work-in-progress and a bit "up in the air."

Looking closely at the 3D scan data, I realized the main hurdle isn't just the clearance around the shifter trim, but the downward sloping angle of the center console toward the armrest.

This compound angle makes designing a single-piece butterfly lid assembly really tricky. If I design the lids flat or at a single fixed plane, I end up sacrificing a massive amount of usable internal volume—especially at the very back right in front of the armrest storage. Finding the balance between maximum storage volume, proper door sweep clearance, and a sleek top profile is taking some back-and-forth in CAD.

I’m currently tweaking the hinge alignment and lid geometry off the 3D scan to recover as much depth as possible.
11th Gen Honda Civic [DIY / 3D Print] FL5 Custom Covered Storage Box (WIP) 1789251352450-29


I’ll be updating this thread as I iterate through test prints and refine the mechanism. I'd love to hear your thoughts or feedback!

Cheers!
Sponsored

 
OP
OP
aqf23

aqf23

Member
First Name
Alvaro
Joined
Oct 19, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
14
Reaction score
34
Location
Basque Country, Spain
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CW
Hi all. I have had some hours to spend on this, and things have progressed. There has been quite a lot of thinking until this point, but I think that I like how it's looking:
11th Gen Honda Civic [DIY / 3D Print] FL5 Custom Covered Storage Box (WIP) xtop_EPH7drrBn4

11th Gen Honda Civic [DIY / 3D Print] FL5 Custom Covered Storage Box (WIP) xtop_9YhBvNi8TW


As you can see in the photo (last moment discovery), the lid opened 90º hits the armrest, so I guess that the box cannot have full-length doors. I think that without over-complicating it, that's the way to go.
Most of it should be 3D printed, only requiring a couple of springs to open both sides. This has still not been added to the 3D. Also, the locking mechanism is still missing.

I like the removable tray with the honeycomb pattern so that the light at the bottom of the cupholders can be seen.

I hope to make more progress next weekend and maybe even 3D print a prototype to check clearances, the chosen thicknesses, the difficulty of the print itself, ...

That's all for now!
 

Cueyo

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2023
Threads
22
Messages
983
Reaction score
760
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
2025 Civic Type R
Really like the idea of this, putting anything in those cupholders makes it significantly harder to shift comfortably.

I know you want the dual door design, so perhaps you could explore having the doors close down rather than flip up? Like having them slide down into the cupholders? That or maybe a segmented door so you can pull them up and have some bend.
 
OP
OP
aqf23

aqf23

Member
First Name
Alvaro
Joined
Oct 19, 2025
Threads
5
Messages
14
Reaction score
34
Location
Basque Country, Spain
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CW
Thanks a lot for the ideas and for taking the time to share your feedback!

The main constraint with sliding or tambour/segmented doors in this specific area is the lack of vertical and lateral clearance below the console trim—there's not enough internal height to track the slats away. On top of that, maintaining a flush, premium OEM+ aesthetic with segmented joints along those compound curves would be nearly impossible.

Insertable boxes or drop-in cup adapters would definitely be simpler, with the absolute easiest option being a simple removable lid without hinges. I'm taking the more complex route, but you've definitely given me food for thought regarding alternatives—I might actually end up releasing a couple of different versions.

I'm still figuring out the release strategy as well—whether to upload it for free on Printables, put it on Cults3D for a symbolic price, or just share it directly via forum DMs for free.

Thanks again, and if any other ideas come to mind, please feel free to drop them here!
 
 







Top