• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Does it overheat? (The only thing that matters :) )

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Okay, I know one of you is going to buy one of these and go directly to a race track. Let's hear what you experienced. To know fully whether the new car overheats, please list what track you drove on, the outside temperature, and whether you're an advanced, intermediate, or novice driver. Likely if the car does overheat, it will only do so when driven by an advanced driver. Thanks!
Sponsored

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Any car overheats if you push it hard enough unless its a full on race car

spectre186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Camry, 23 Civic Type R
I think what people want to know is if it will overheat during a 20 min HPDE session or not.

OP
OP

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Any car overheats if you push it hard enough unless its a full on race car
My GT4 doesn't overheat even when driven at a "race pace" in 105 F ambient temps for a 25 minute session. There are some cars that can do an HPDE session at an advanced driver pace and there are some that can't, stock. The FL5 civic type r has many changes from the FK8 in order to make it stand up on track in terms of cooling. I want to hear from people who have tested it.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Comparing a car that is over double the cost and saying it doesn't overheat doesn't really provide much value. It's also a completely different configuration that is naturally aspirated...

Very few of these are on the road yet and temps are pretty low across the entire US. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough but from what we have heard about the F1 drivers beating on the cars for hours in Austin, TX it sounds encouraging.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
According to Spoon, the FL5 cooling is better than FK8, but still has problems. Take that with a grain of salt. After all, they’re in the aftermarket business and probably want you to upgrade your cooling system.

Listen from 9:40 onward…

DPE

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
This is, indeed, the question. The FK8 loses so much power on hot days as to piss a person off. I've had mine pull significant power on the street; granted running pretty hard on deserted twisties, but still. No other car I've owned has had such cooling issues. As for 'Any car overheats if you push it hard enough', assuming that's true, which it isn't, but assuming it is then this car still overheats before most.

And I even get it, it's a highly boosted car on an econobox platform that doesn't cost a ton. And it does lots of stuff better than a lot of cars that are double or triple the price. But heat management isn't one of those things it's better at, and I really hope that is sorted out at least notably better on the FL5.
Sponsored