Sponsored

Downpipe Hard Lagging

blueroadster

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2024
Threads
38
Messages
745
Reaction score
1,056
Location
MD
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, 2026 Passport TSE, 2026 Pilot BE, 1964 Impala SS
In this thread from May of 2025, I considered adding hard lagging to the TSP downpipe after I had it coated by SwainTech. Since the downpipe no longer had a bare metal surface to hardlag, I opted to install the removable PTP hybrid downpipe blanket instead. It was a great setup where the SwainTech coating provided corrosive protection and a thick ceramic layer to help retain heat within the downpipe itself. Adding the PTP hybrid downpipe blanket on top of that resulted in a much more significant improvement in containing heat since it added a layer of thermal insulation.

Moving forward, I received the new SBX downpipe mentioned in this post. Since the tubular sections of the downpipe have a raw surface made of of 304 SS, I would like to reexplore the option of hard lagging the downpipe itself.

@tezzasaurusrex added hard lagging to a catted and non-catted downpipe as shared in this post. Dream Automotive also offers several other hard lagged options for the parts that they sell.

Question...I would like to add hard lagging onto the SBX downpipe that uses 304 SS tubular sections. From my limited understanding of galvanic reactions, it appears that a shell made of 321/347 SS or Inconel would be ideal. Manufacturers that I have found thus far that offer hard lagging services include Header Shield (US) and Zircotec (UK).

Thoughts?
Sponsored

 
Last edited:
 







Top