• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

randomFL5guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
The FL5 seems to be the same situation however. He adjusted the settings and seemed pleased.

Nring mode puts the suspension in comfort mode. He out the suspension in Sport from +R. He could've gone to comfort mode too.
I wonder if R+ is set up for smooth pavement with Cup 2s? I assume the car he got had Pilot Sport 4S
Sponsored

Xchax3

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP '23 Civic Type R #711
He touches on how he feels like this might be the last one (ICE Type R). He mentions how it feels deliberate and made with purpose.
He also refers to electrification of new cars from 2035 a couple times and how he grew up in a good era.

I cant help but feel bad for the future of car enthusiasts. I'll be buying this car for my sons (both under 10) as much as myself.
W father right here. Top man. I'm hoping to hold on to this for the same reason and if that time comes.

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
not sure why car makers keep over damping in sportier modes. Germans seem to strike the best balance between spirted driving and daily drivability. Bouncy suspension actually gives you less confidence because the grip levels become unpredictable. Nürburgring mode on the Golf R actually softens the suspension allowing tires to stick to the pavement.
Primarily because many manufacturers are really going toward 'comfort' ride quality for the masses instead of 'good' for enthusiasts when choosing spring rates. The spring rate for the FK8 is actually quite low for the car and the weight and why it rides so well in comfort mode - the spring rate and damper ability is matched for comfort mode. In order to get the 'performance' they simply stiffen up the dampers and why many of these cars hop so much when on sticky rubber. Dampers can't be leaned on as they only slow down compression or rebound unlike a spring so once the car leans over too much the tire slips, the car unloads and straightens up until grip can be found again then the cycle happens again which is the hops. The hops get more severe with thinner sidewalls as the rollover onto the wheel is more instantaneous.

Just for comparison's sake the FK8 stock spring rates are 4.7kg/mm front and 4.2kg/mm rear. The GR Corolla Morizo is coming with 5.6kg/mm front and 8.2kg/mm rear for almost the same weight car, just the GR Corolla doesn't have adjustable dampers. Even the original ITR had 4.4kg/mm front and 4.4kg/mm progressive rears for a much lighter car. It's just a limitation of relying on adjustable dampening and bigger sway bars instead of matching the spring rate more toward sporty driving instead of comfort.

Rainy4s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VA WRX STI,
if you guys looking for initial FK8 and FL5 comparison, have a look at this CivicX thread I made
https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ing-fk8s-lap-time-on-sodegaura-circuit.77971/

The FK8 is actually faster on the Sodegaura circuit, the driver is same: DK.
DK's fastest lap time on facelifted FK8 is 1:16.33, FL5's time is 1:16.99

two things worth mentioning, FK8 is a media car that comes from Honda directly, so the tire should be stock continental SC6, also he said the tire was getting worn out. Meanwhile, the stock FL5 has bespoke PS4s, no idea what's the thread wear condition. Second, the fastest lap on FK8 should be done during Winter time, since the video is uploaded in March, so the ambient temp is roughly 10°C or lower(not sure); meanwhile, the ambient temp in FL5 video is about 25°C

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
if you guys looking for initial FK8 and FL5 comparison, have a look at this CivicX thread I made
https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ing-fk8s-lap-time-on-sodegaura-circuit.77971/

two things worth mentioning, FK8 is a media car that comes from Honda directly, so the tire should be stock continental SC6, also he said the tire was getting worn out. Meanwhile, the stock FL5 has bespoke PS4s, no idea what's the thread wear condition. Second, the fastest lap on FK8 should be done during Winter time, since the video is uploaded in March, so the ambient temp is roughly 10°C or lower(not sure); meanwhile, the ambient temp in FL5 video is about 25°C
Only one word……Suzuka……

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
FK8 is awesome. Still think it beats everything in it's class on the track. FL5 seems equal, but with advantages. I'm good with it.

Village911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #839

Yeah. Let's wait for an official comparison. I feel like it's too early to judge what's faster than what based on the same driver/track with different videos.

You might also want to consider DK's age being older when he drives FL5 lol jk but you get my point.

Rainy4s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VA WRX STI,
just like I said, this is an initial comparison in the early stage, same drivers on the same track. not trying to argue anything, just list interest stuff while we waiting, at least by this time we know an oil cooler kit may be needed on the track

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
I'm curious what kind of times he could achieve if he were 20+ years younger. The first time I saw an S2000 in action was him drifting in it. He's been doing this forever.

DKwen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRZ
Only one word……Suzuka……
just saying, Honda didnt stated what tires they used for Suzuka record, and there is possibility they put Cup2C on it, have a look at this media photo. the sidewall is different from Honda Ver. ps4s and the aftermarket ver. ps4s. It looks really like Cup2c sidewall, just checkout Tirerack page, you will see the resemblance. the 2nd photo shown is besopke ps4s and aftermarket version.
11th Gen Honda Civic Drift King and the 2023 Civic Type R 1664054670102

11th Gen Honda Civic Drift King and the 2023 Civic Type R 1664055268146

https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threa...r-sets-new-suzuka-circuit-lap-record-🏁.50631/
and when the record is released, media photo shows there are both red Recaro seats , but suddenly the passenger red seat is gone in some photo, you can download 4K photo on Honda press release website. it looks more like a pre production vehicle, we dont exactly know how stock it is, just like the fk8 nurburgring record, they later admitted they delete rear seat and put cup2 on it. OTOH the fk8 LE time seems more legit with proper cup2, lighter BBS wheel and more aggressive damper setting to support that extra grip
11th Gen Honda Civic Drift King and the 2023 Civic Type R 1664055706413

randomFL5guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Just for comparison's sake the FK8 stock spring rates are 4.7kg/mm front and 4.2kg/mm rear. The GR Corolla Morizo is coming with 5.6kg/mm front and 8.2kg/mm rear for almost the same weight car, just the GR Corolla doesn't have adjustable dampers. Even the original ITR had 4.4kg/mm front and 4.4kg/mm progressive rears for a much lighter car. It's just a limitation of relying on adjustable dampening and bigger sway bars instead of matching the spring rate more toward sporty driving instead of comfort.
It's not an apples-to-apples comparison to compare different cars' spring rates like that, you have to account for motion ratios based on suspension geometry in the cars, which are different.
Sponsored