• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 BB CTR, AW 2020 M2C, GLC63 (wifey's bad ass ride), 96 M Edition Miata.
I'm happy I got the current Type-R now. This new design is just not giving anything better than what we have. In fact it's heading towards the opposite.
Sponsored

srb165

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Touring Hatchback cvt
You won't see any hybrid performance in a Civic Si. That would drive the cost way up and eliminate majority of that market. The only Civic that MAY get that kind of technology would be the Type R, but again, the cost would go up and a lot of the market and potential customers would dissipate to other brands, because $35k for a Type R give/take is good and all but raise that to the $40k+ mark without ADM in the states, you're gonna lose business. The Civic is still an economy car.

Here's the thing. In my area, I see hundreds of sedans, maybe a few Sis other than my own (my co worker has a 2 door Si), and a couple Type Rs. My city is close to 500k people. I rarely see 2 door Civics.

They might be popular in other areas, but if you look at the sales figures, they really aren't as popular as some people make them out to be. A lot of the 2 door civics at my 2 local dealers sit for a long while, including the Sis. The sedans (non-Si/Si) get picked up pretty quick.

The market is moving away from cars in general anyways, look at Ford as a prime example. It was only a matter of time before the coupe would be discontinued, just like how eventually the manual transmission will likely be eliminated except for the enthusiast cars like the Type R. Even then, who knows what will happen.
If Honda offered the Type R with an automatic or dct, they would sell more of them. If manuals are not offered on the Mustang GT500 or the new Corvette, then they aren't necessary for the Type R either. Manuals will become extinct sooner than any of us realize.

ManualOnly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
You won't see any hybrid performance in a Civic Si. That would drive the cost way up and eliminate majority of that market. The only Civic that MAY get that kind of technology would be the Type R, but again, the cost would go up and a lot of the market and potential customers would dissipate to other brands, because $35k for a Type R give/take is good and all but raise that to the $40k+ mark without ADM in the states, you're gonna lose business. The Civic is still an economy car.

Here's the thing. In my area, I see hundreds of sedans, maybe a few Sis other than my own (my co worker has a 2 door Si), and a couple Type Rs. My city is close to 500k people. I rarely see 2 door Civics.

They might be popular in other areas, but if you look at the sales figures, they really aren't as popular as some people make them out to be. A lot of the 2 door civics at my 2 local dealers sit for a long while, including the Sis. The sedans (non-Si/Si) get picked up pretty quick.

The market is moving away from cars in general anyways, look at Ford as a prime example. It was only a matter of time before the coupe would be discontinued, just like how eventually the manual transmission will likely be eliminated except for the enthusiast cars like the Type R. Even then, who knows what will happen.
Manual Transmission aren't going away. Look at Europe & virtually every vehicle is available in Manual, including SUVs, same ones sold in the US in automatic only.

Manufactures & Dealers figured out decades ago that Americans will buy anything as long as they can take it home today, so they only offer automatics in what is popular today (Large Trucks & SUVs) because there is a lot higher profit margin.

The American brands stopped selling cars because they can't compete with foreign brands & have a lower profit margin.
The Japanese & Koreans are more than happy to take this market share away from the American brands (that are just handing it to them).

Besides their Muscle-Cars, Ford is also keeping the Fusion (but loading it up to make it more expensive. You can't get a "base model")..

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Poor sales? I see a LOT of them on the road. Everyone that has commented on my 2-Door Si has said it looks a LOT better than the 4-Door version.
This was one of the major deciding factors that made me choose the Civic Si over the Corolla, which isn't offered in a 2-Door.

Doing an invetory search from Honda's site, & no dealership has a 2-Door Si. They are all sold out.
Yes, poor sales. Coupes represented 16% of all Civics sold in 2016. That number dropped to 6% in 2020.

For the record, I agree that the 2-door looks better than the sedan. But looks aren't the full story. Personally, I chose a sedan strictly for practicality reasons, as I suspect a lot of other buyers did as well. The bottom line is that Honda built coupes and people just didn't buy 'em. At least, not in a high enough quantity to justify the tooling/production/logistics costs associated with maintaining an entire body type.

Discontinuing the coupe sucks, but it looks like a smart business decision.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Which motor are you talking about? I have the automatic in my 2.5L hatch and it's anything but gutless, ESPECIALLY in sport mode.
The current 2019+ 2.5L. I had the 2016 Mazda3 GT and it felt very different from the current gen and I was very surprised by this. I agree in sport mode it felt borderline dangerous at times, but I definitely did not get that feeling when I test drove the 2019. It seems tuned very different.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Yes, poor sales. Coupes represented 16% of all Civics sold in 2016. That number dropped to 6% in 2020.

For the record, I agree that the 2-door looks better than the sedan. But looks aren't the full story. Personally, I chose a sedan strictly for practicality reasons, as I suspect a lot of other buyers did as well. The bottom line is that Honda built coupes and people just didn't buy 'em. At least, not in a high enough quantity to justify the tooling/production/logistics costs associated with maintaining an entire body type.

Discontinuing the coupe sucks, but it looks like a smart business decision.
Geography probably skews the perception of coupe sales. I would have thought they sold better because there’s a lot of them in SoCal.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
The 3 always looked good. I would have bought this instead of the Civic but the back seat is fucking laughable and the automatic was so gutless it made the Civic’s CVT feel downright sporting.
Note that the turbo model @gtman referred to will have a 2.5T motor pushing 250 hp/320 lb ft, and AWD. Sadly, no manual. I don't know if it's going to be good, but one thing it won't be is gutless.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
I wasn't referring to the Civic Si.... I was referring to the fact that Honda recently renewed their trademark of the CRZ (which they let expire in 2017). I don't doubt the Si will continue on without hybrid tech (though Honda has already said it has plans to electrify the majority of its cars in the next 5 years, so we WILL see more hybrid tech being used across all models). Hyundai recently announced the combo of their 1.6T and hybrid motor in the new Tuscon, I feel the turbo+hybrid option is going to grow in popularity for both fuel efficiency and performance reasons.

A new CRZ would fill the slot left by the civic coupe, provide a more dedicated sports car to honda that it's been lacking since the S2000, and compete with cars like the Veloster, BRZ/86. A niche car built to be a niche car, rather than a niche car built to be an economy car, allowing honda to not only elevate it's sporty intentions, but also push it's hybrid tech further into the idea of sport+hybrid.

It's all up in the air obviously. But it'd be a welcome addition to the lineup for many that want a small sporty honda coupe.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda 3 GT Hatch 6AT
The current 2019+ 2.5L. I had the 2016 Mazda3 GT and it felt very different from the current gen and I was very surprised by this. I agree in sport mode it felt borderline dangerous at times, but I definitely did not get that feeling when I test drove the 2019. It seems tuned very different.
I think the 2019 is tuned to be more for cruising. I know the auto in my GT is actually really fun in sport + manual mode with the paddle shifters lol. I didn't push the 2020 I test drove too hard but it didn't seem that much different than mine? Maybe a bit lazier if anything and 'calmer'.

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
Pretty much every major review source was critical of the louder styling of Civic X. Now Honda responds and tones it down, every reviewer will be critical of the Civic XI understated design choices.
Gotta stand out of the crowd and that’s what Honda did with the 10th gen. Not every car on the road has to be tamed in design and BOORRRRRRRRIIIINNNGGGGGGGG. That’s why we love civics, make that shit wild and let the aftermarket scene make it even WILDER!!! :spaz:

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
If the new type r comes with more HP and auto tranny, guaranteed it will sell like hot cakes. Can't tell you the amount of people that told me they would love to get the car but they cant since it's a manual.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda 3 GT Hatch 6AT
If the new type r comes with more HP and auto tranny, guaranteed it will sell like hot cakes. Can't tell you the amount of people that told me they would love to get the car but they cant since it's a manual.
I think it'd be nice to at least have the option, but at the same time, I also feel like the car would lose a lot of it's special feeling with an automatic. So it's kind of hard. I can see both arguments.
Sponsored