• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Exploring a clean FK8 spare tire kit install in the FL5.

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
It's common knowledge by now that in many markets the FL5 does not have an available spare tire -- instead, it comes with a less desired fix-a-flat kit. This forum explores various options such an Acura RL spare, a low-profile BMW spare, and a few others. I personally prefer sticking with OE Honda products so I wanted to explore the closest option which is the FK8 spare tire kit.

The purpose of this thread will be documenting a way to cleanly install the FK8 spare tire kit into the FL5, acknowledging the fact that the floor will be raised a few inches.

The goal is to achieve a perfectly flat, stable, and usable trunk while maintaining low cost and minimal custom-crafting.

If someone else has already accomplished this specific goal then please let me know -- it would save me a lot of time :D
Sponsored

OP
OP
hhkb

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
11th Gen Honda Civic Exploring a clean FK8 spare tire kit install in the FL5. invoice

First step entails purchasing the FK8 spare tire kit. It turns out the FK8 spare tire kit has everything but the tire itself.

Here are the parts:
06421-TGH-A33ZA -- FK8 spare tire kit (does not include tire). Lowest price I could find is $221.47.
42751-CTL-039 -- Continental tire that fits on the wheel in the kit above. Lowest price I could find is $127.53.

I price shopped 3 of my local Honda dealers and after some haggling I got it down to $350.71 out the door. Both parts will take 5-7 days to arrive at the dealership.

The dealer said they can mount and balance the tire for an additional $25 which I will likely have them do.

That brings us to a total of $375.71.

Note: The individual parts are cheaper online but you'll be paying another $300-400 just for shipping so buying from a dealership is much cheaper!

---
Next steps will be picking up the parts and just seeing how everything fits. Following that I will look into any additional parts such as foam blocks or flat panels I will need to retrieve from a local hardware store like Home Depot.

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic type R, MK7 GTI, Toyota 4x4
That's probably a better option if you had to use it in the front for an emergency ^^ however, I don't think any spare is going to give you a flat trunk space. Below is the option I picked:

I just bought an 05-12 Acura RDX spare rim and tire off ebay for $127 shipped and then went to Pick a Part and bought a Jeep scissors jack that has the slot for the jack point for $7 and I'm good. Well, I need to paint it black, then I'm good. This won't fit on the front but I don't think I'd want to run a space saver on the front anyway due to the limited slip.

These cars really should have come with a spare but no spare seems to be a trend now a days.

11th Gen Honda Civic Exploring a clean FK8 spare tire kit install in the FL5. DSC_0063.JPG
11th Gen Honda Civic Exploring a clean FK8 spare tire kit install in the FL5. DSC_0074.JPG
11th Gen Honda Civic Exploring a clean FK8 spare tire kit install in the FL5. DSC_0073.JPG

:dunno:

Last edited:
OP
OP
hhkb

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
That's probably a better option if you had to use it in the front for an emergency. ^^

For those looking to get this done, I thought this was a good option, but you can't run it on the front, and I don't think you'd want to run a space saver on the front anyway.

I just bought an 05-12 Acura RDX spare rim and tire off ebay for $127 shipped and then went to Pick a Part and bought a Jeep scissors jack that has the slot for the jack point for $7 and I'm good. Well, I need to paint it black, then I'm good.

DSC_0063.JPG
DSC_0074.JPG
DSC_0073.JPG

You could swap a good back wheel/tire to the front and use the spare on the back!

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, it would be a hassle but if I understand right, the car is stiff enough were you can jack it up on either end and lift the other wheel as well .... so that will probably work ok.

Trey

R-00621
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #00621 - sold | 2023 CTR #16980
That's probably a better option if you had to use it in the front for an emergency ^^ however, I don't think any spare is going to give you a flat trunk space. Below is the option I picked:

I just bought an 05-12 Acura RDX spare rim and tire off ebay for $127 shipped and then went to Pick a Part and bought a Jeep scissors jack that has the slot for the jack point for $7 and I'm good. Well, I need to paint it black, then I'm good. This won't fit on the front but I don't think I'd want to run a space saver on the front anyway due to the limited slip.

These cars really should have come with a spare but no spare seems to be a trend now a days.

DSC_0063.JPG
DSC_0074.JPG
DSC_0073.JPG

Tell us more about this RL setup? Does the trunk mat sit flush still? I know the fk8 spare sits too high and looks wonky IMO.
11th Gen Honda Civic Exploring a clean FK8 spare tire kit install in the FL5. 1713977865712-ju

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tell us more about this RL setup? Does the trunk mat sit flush still? I know the fk8 spare sits too high and looks wonky IMO.
1713977865712-ju.jpg
Any spare tire (FK8 or the RDX) is going to raise the cover. Honda didn't incorporated a deep spare tire well in the FL5 like they did in the earlier FK8. It's going to raise the floor about as your picture there. Still no big deal, better that than stranded with a flat or waiting on rescue to come.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R; 2024 Honda Civic Touring
You could swap a good back wheel/tire to the front and use the spare on the back!
I have an FK8, not an FL5.
I have the FK8 mini-spare and tools.
When I had a flat of the right-front (in the pouring rain), I loosened both front and rear right-side lugs, jacked the car with the scissors jack under the front pinch weld. You can get it high enough to get both wheels off.
Moved the good rear wheel to the front, put the spare on the rear, lowered it, tightened the lugs and drove off (slowly).

OP
OP
hhkb

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
1713977865712-ju.jpg
i think the topher has a post on it, as well as a youtube video documenting the RL spare. apparently it works well!

the picture you posted though is exactly what i'm aiming to work with -- i think the fk8 spare tire kit includes a panel that i am aiming to retrofit so i can get a fully flat trunk floor, albeit lifted a few inches.

frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fit, 2024 Integra Type S, 2004 S2000
Good info on here too!
https://www.integraforums.com/forum/threads/spare-tire-kit.51075/

You're lucky to have a place to bolt spare in the trunk. We don't! But still, the RL spare will fit both cars on the rear!
In the thread, there is also another option from another member, but it requires more work.

For anyone going with the RL spare, don't forget to buy 5 of the right lug nuts for this wheel!

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
I have an FK8, not an FL5.
I have the FK8 mini-spare and tools.
When I had a flat of the right-front (in the pouring rain), I loosened both front and rear right-side lugs, jacked the car with the scissors jack under the front pinch weld. You can get it high enough to get both wheels off.
Moved the good rear wheel to the front, put the spare on the rear, lowered it, tightened the lugs and drove off (slowly).
Would not raise the car that high with the scissor jack, but just enough to remove one wheel at a time. I tried and learned the hard way. The scissor jack failed and the car came crashing down, luckily I had not fully removed the wheel. But the top of the jack punctured the entire driver rocker panel and had to replace it. Fortunately, no damage to anything else and Honda sells pre-painted rocker panels. I consider the scissor jack as an emergency last-resort tool only.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R; 2024 Honda Civic Touring
Would not raise the car that high with the scissor jack, but just enough to remove one wheel at a time. I tried and learned the hard way. The scissor jack failed and the car came crashing down, luckily I had not fully removed the wheel. But the top of the jack punctured the entire driver rocker panel and had to replace it. Fortunately, no damage to anything else and Honda sells pre-painted rocker panels. I consider the scissor jack as an emergency last-resort tool only.
That's unfortunate, also dangerous.

As I said, I was able to lift the whole side of the car with the Honda scissors jack. I was on the pavement in the breakdown lane. I'm sure that helped.

AZCWTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
It's common knowledge by now that in many markets the FL5 does not have an available spare tire -- instead, it comes with a less desired fix-a-flat kit. This forum explores various options such an Acura RL spare, a low-profile BMW spare, and a few others. I personally prefer sticking with OE Honda products so I wanted to explore the closest option which is the FK8 spare tire kit.

The purpose of this thread will be documenting a way to cleanly install the FK8 spare tire kit into the FL5, acknowledging the fact that the floor will be raised a few inches.

The goal is to achieve a perfectly flat, stable, and usable trunk while maintaining low cost and minimal custom-crafting.

If someone else has already accomplished this specific goal then please let me know -- it would save me a lot of time :D
An accessory trunk mat hides the spare tire pretty good.
I bought a "spare tire kit" off eBay. Doesn't quite fit (needed a 5mm spacer for the front hub), but good enough to get me home. The inflator kit also fits inside the spare, along with the jack and wrench. I made my own hold down bolt.
in retrospect, it looks like the OEM FK8 spare rim is a better option.

11th Gen Honda Civic Exploring a clean FK8 spare tire kit install in the FL5. Trunk_Mat
Sponsored