• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 Spare Tire ?

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I've researched the FL5 spare conundrum as best I can and found the following.

💩 The supplied sealant has an expiration date, is reportedly messy, and the pump is puny.
😵 My CTR came without a jack or lug wrench.
:) Kits for older Acura RLs reportedly fit the 2023 CTR.
:) Kits for the 2019 CTRs have been reported to fit the 2023 CTR.
:rolleyes: Kits from ModernSpare are advertised to fit the 2023 CTR. Personal experience says not, but was fully refunded.
:confused: The smaller spares should not be used to replace a flat front tire as vehicle mechanics may be harmed.
:oops: Some European models and early prototypes reportedly come with spare kits.
;) "Dallman" has/shows the best documentation for a spare kit. Kudos to Don.
:mad: My dealer said a kit for the FL5 was "in development." 😅
☹ No matter which "donut-sized" spare is used, a front blowout necessitates two, wheel changes.
🤬 A spare kit will not fit completely under the cargo area's floor board without modifications.
👍 My solution was to purchase an OEM full-size wheel and tire and to secure it in the cargo area.
👎 It adds weight (along with a jack and collapsable wrench).
👎 It takes up about two-thirds of the cargo area, but is easy to remove when needed and deck shelves are available on Amazon.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mmdct

mmdct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR Crystal Black Pearl
Agreed and thank you. One of my winter 18s is a spare for the summer 19s, and vice versa.

I'm not impressed with Honda's apprach.

HRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Anyone dig up part numbers or more info on the FL5 spare tire kit from Honda yet? I hope it’s something we can order through Dream Automotive perhaps if not available in the US.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
Last week I went to a honda dealer to see a FL5 on display. It hasn't been released in the country yet, so it's still using the red camouflage. These are pictures from the spare tire with a nice foam kit. It's better than the kit I have in my fk8.

VID-20230218-WA0028_exported_399.jpg
VID-20230218-WA0028_exported_1899.jpg

So this is the kit that comes with all FL5s sold in Brazil:

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Spare Tire ? Compress_20231017_214358_8455

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Thanks for sharing. Has anyone been able to find a part number or source for this yet? How much higher does it make the trunk tray sit compared to stock?

HRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Tentative part numbers that need confirmed by someone in the local markets that get the spare tire kit:

06421-T60 -U11
06421-T60 -N00
06421- T60 -Q00 (I believe this kit does not include the jack where the first two do).

If anyone has contacts at the parts import websites, a helping hand to see if they can stock the kits and ship them would be great. Group buy for a pallet full of these to the USA to save on shipping?!

FerrisBueller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R (FL5), 2006 Honda Civic 8th EXi
Hi all, I am new to the forum as you can see although I have been reading a number of threads. I've definitely come across a lot of valuable info on here.I recently purchased an FL5 Type R and I am absolutely loving it.

I am having a tough time sourcing a space saver spare wheel. The Honda dealership I purchased the car from refuses to give me the wheel and tyre dimensions unless I purchase the kit from them which will have to be imported from Japan which in South Africa will cost approximately $1400 and will take 8-12 weeks to arrive. I am also unable to easily source an 18/19" space saver wheel outside of the dealership as well.

I managed to find a used 17" BMW space saver wheel with the correct 5x120 pattern. It does not clear the front calipers and can only be fitted on the rear which I believe is the best place to place it given the posts above taking into account the LSD, etc.

The wheel that I'm looking to buy to use as a spare which will be stored in the boot/trunk is using a 125/70 R17 tyre. My question if anyone can assist please, the wheel does clear the rear calipers and seems to roll unobstructed, is this all I should be factoring in? Are there any concerns with using this size as a spare wheel? It will only be used in case of emergencies.

NB: The tyre itself does need to be replaced as it is more than 8 years old.
If the wheel size is good, should I look at a 125/80/17 tyre instead of the 125/70/17 tyre?

Thank you!

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Spare Tire ? WhatsApp Image 2023-12-18 at 16.51.34

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
Thanks for sharing. Has anyone been able to find a part number or source for this yet? How much higher does it make the trunk tray sit compared to stock?
Sorry, I saw this message just this Friday. I wasn't checking on this thread.

So I asked the local parts guy and he said there was not a kit. Since all parts come with the car, you can only purchase a replacement for each of them individually. It's crazy expensive, unfortunately.

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Spare Tire ? IMG-20240105-WA0026~2

5 - 84521T50E01ZA
6 - 84527T60K50
7 - 84545T60K50
8 - 84572T60K50

Snmtazz70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
I have the FK8 spare. It fits all wheels; however. It's made for 30mph speed. Just to get you to the repair. The front is dangerous but it does work, just go slow. I have a scissor jack and a two piece wrench that extends for torq in bottom under the cover. Spare goes in hatch for long trips. Most new cars in US are doing this bs (Honda, Toyota and Hyundai) for gas saving but more of money savings, of course certain models. The last 5 new cars I've purchased had no spare, latest ones FL5 and Elantra N.

djl526blue

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Hello,

I'm a new FL5 owner, but have had to deal with 3 other cars that didn't come with a spare. In my old E46 M3 and my current M-B E350 Bluetec, I've carried a normal temporary spare under a vinyl cover. In the M3, I tucked a jack and wrench under the tire in the foam carrier used in the regular 3 series. The new owner got that set up when I sold the car. The E350 did come with a jack because the gas E350 has a normal spare. In the diesel car, the DEF tank is where the spare should go. So in that car I have a standard spare under a vinyl cover. The spare reduces trunk space in an already small trunk, but I like the piece of mind in my daily driver. I've not done anything with the C7 Corvette yet, but I really should do something. The wheels are just so massive on that car, that I've just been saying my prayers when I drive it and I don't really take that car on long trips. I found this company on the web posted by another FL 5 owner and I've talked to the company technical people who seem to have their act together. https://modernspare.com/product/2015-2024-honda-civic-type-r-spare-tire-kit-options/
This looks like a very good option for $469. It has everything you need in one kit all tucked away in its own vinyl bag. I'm going to buy the kit and a bungee cord to secure it in the trunk and forget about it. I've lived with a small trunk car for 10 years so I should be okay with the decreased trunk space in the FL5 taken up by this well designed kit. Click on the website above and see what you think.

frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fit, 2024 Integra Type S, 2004 S2000
Does the FL5 has something in the bottom of the trunk to secure the spare (even if the car does not come with a spare)?

Shrapnel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW 2024 Civic Type R #16838
Does the FL5 has something in the bottom of the trunk to secure the spare (even if the car does not come with a spare)?
I believe there is a threaded bracket at the bottom of the spare tire well on all FL5's regardless of delivery region.

frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fit, 2024 Integra Type S, 2004 S2000
Can somebody with a FL5 confirm? Ideally from Canada...

Last edited:

FerrisBueller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R (FL5), 2006 Honda Civic 8th EXi
Not from Canada but here is the wheel well that we get in the South African FL5.
I'm using a tyre holder screw from the 8th Gen Civic which works fine.

The wheel well is only roughly 70-80mm deep before the boot/trunk floor.

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Spare Tire ? WhatsApp Image 2024-01-22 at 17.18.50 (1)

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Spare Tire ? WhatsApp Image 2024-01-22 at 17.18.50