• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FK8 LE or FL5 (Sonic Grey)

OP
OP

Howitzer

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
I own a LE FK8 (USA - 031) and a CW FL5. There is zero chance I would have parted with my LE if it was a requirement to obtain the FL5.

The only exception to that would be if you intended to daily drive either car. The interior improvements/ergonomics of the FL5 really do make it a better daily IMO.

I really love both but for different reasons. I personally believe the LE FK8 will end up being more valuable in the long run.

I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to profit off the resale of three LEs that I purchased for MSRP/just above MSRP, so the LE I kept was effectively “free”, other than my time invested to close said deals.

Best of luck in whatever you decide and for the record, I think the FL5 looks great in SGP.
That's awesome, you have best of both worlds with the LE and FL5. Nice financial planning, flipping LE's to eventually get one for free. I started with 18" CTR, then upgraded to the 20" BB CTR, I wanted to keep the BB CTR as a daily and the LE as the garage queen. Unfortunately, with 3 kids that was not possible.

Currently, the LE is not a daily driver, but it doesn't sit either, 11K km's in 2 years. It's just too fun to not drive and I can't justify just staring at it in my garage.

Definitely leaning towards keeping the LE and waiting for the last model year of FL5 to see if there is a LE version then.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Howitzer

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
USA-127 here. Dealer called me with a SGP FL5. I was never big on the FK8 styling but I've grown to love it (especially in PY) It was going to be basically a wash as far as price (paid $50k for the LE). So I drove to the dealership in the LE. After seeing the 2 together it was a no brainer for me. The LE is still in the garage. I do have 5 other cars to drive and the LE just marinates. That all being said my god the FL5 interior is awesome.
I'm going to visit the dealership anyways to see them side by side (SGP FL5 vs LE) since I haven't seen a FL5 in person yet. Very curious to observe the size difference. The FL5 looks quite bit larger in photos/videos. When it was first released, my immediate thought of the FL5 was an "Accord". Totally agree with the interior of the FL5, absolutely gorgeous with the red carpeting and the honeycomb vents.

Hexcivic

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
USA-127
In pictures I agree, in person..... its a civic not an accord. If I'm going to have a stock $50k civic, it better damn well look like one. In my opinion for as much over styled is the FK8, the FL5 is even more under styled if that makes sense.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
I'm going to visit the dealership anyways to see them side by side (SGP FL5 vs LE) since I haven't seen a FL5 in person yet. Very curious to observe the size difference. The FL5 looks quite bit larger in photos/videos. When it was first released, my immediate thought of the FL5 was an "Accord". Totally agree with the interior of the FL5, absolutely gorgeous with the red carpeting and the honeycomb vents.
In person, the FL5 looks quite a bit smaller than an FK8, actually. The hood and belt lines are much shorter, giving off an illusion of less volume overall (by a not small degree, either). You'll see; they photograph large but are actually surprisingly compact.

MYK20C1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R SGP; 2018 Clarity Touring
Hi All!

I need some help and some opinion from FK8 & FL5 owners. I currently have a 2021 LE (FK8), I love it, Phoenix Yellow just looks perfect on the FK8. That said, I have the opportunity to trade in the LE for a FL5 (Sonic Grey). I'm torn and don't know what to do, my biggest questions are:

1. Which one will be worth more in the long run? LE being the Honda "halo" vehicle, but FL5 assembled in Japan.
2. Which one do you like more?

Thanks, appreciate the feedback and opinions.
Gotta go with the LE man !

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 Civic Type R LE
Another vote for keep the LE if it's not a daily driver, but if it is then the FL5 would just get my vote.

There will hopefully be an FL5 LE but who knows what the chances are of getting a hold of one and how much they will cost.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
I would for sure keep the FK8 LE. It’s more special than a standard FL5 IMO.

But when the FL5 LE launches, I would probably choose that over the FK8 LE. The FL5 LE will probably be the most hardcore ICE Civic ever made. I can see it selling north of $90k new with ADM. Most probably $90-100k.

If I could only keep two ICE cars for the rest of my life, it would be:

1. FL5 LE
2. GR Yaris GRMN

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winter beater currently
I would for sure keep the FK8 LE. It’s more special than a standard FL5 IMO.

But when the FL5 LE launches, I would probably choose that over the FK8 LE. The FL5 LE will probably be the most hardcore ICE Civic ever made. I can see it selling north of $90k new with ADM. Most probably $90-100k.

If I could only keep two ICE cars for the rest of my life, it would be:

1. FL5 LE
2. GR Yaris GRMN
Wonder if Honda Canada will do an online first come, first served reservation process again for the LE. I’ll be ready.

OP
OP

Howitzer

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Stopped by dealership to check out the FL5
What is the FL5 going to cost and how much are they giving your for the LE?
What is the FL5 going to cost and how much are they giving your for the LE?
Stopped by the dealership today and saw the FL5 in person. It definitely looked smaller in person and not as wide and broad as in photos. The SGP looks better in person too.

That said, they offered me $55K (CAD) trade in for the LE and $50K (CAD) selling price for the FL5. The catch is I have to trade in my LE in order to purchase the FL5 for $50K. "No Thanks". Although the LE is not my "daily driver" and not a "garage queen" since I have 8,000 miles in 2 years, it's still not driven that often. If they had a CW FL5, my decision would be tougher, even then the smartest move is to hang onto the LE and hope for FL5 LE to be announced. Apparently Canada is only getting 500 FL5's over the next 3 years. That's still 400 more than the 100 LE's allocated for Canada. So as rare as the FL5's are, it's no "unicorn" like the LE.

Thoughts? Does my logic make sense? LOL.

OP
OP

Howitzer

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
No idea, something tells me Honda Canada will be greedy this time around and try to maximize profit. I'll be ready with mouse in hand as well.

Wonder if Honda Canada will do an online first come, first served reservation process again for the LE. I’ll be ready.

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR

Stopped by the dealership today and saw the FL5 in person. It definitely looked smaller in person and not as wide and broad as in photos. The SGP looks better in person too.

That said, they offered me $55K (CAD) trade in for the LE and $50K (CAD) selling price for the FL5. The catch is I have to trade in my LE in order to purchase the FL5 for $50K. "No Thanks". Although the LE is not my "daily driver" and not a "garage queen" since I have 8,000 miles in 2 years, it's still not driven that often. If they had a CW FL5, my decision would be tougher, even then the smartest move is to hang onto the LE and hope for FL5 LE to be announced. Apparently Canada is only getting 500 FL5's over the next 3 years. That's still 400 more than the 100 LE's allocated for Canada. So as rare as the FL5's are, it's no "unicorn" like the LE.

What dealership are you dealing with? They can get bent if they think they can get the LE off you for 55k!!! You can’t even get a regular FK8 with those km for less that that! They are trying to fleece you.

A piece of advice for people trading in vehicles, never start the negotiations with them knowing you have a trade in. You’re instantly screwed if you do.

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winter beater currently

Makes perfect sense, I would’ve been laughing at them as I pulled away in the LE, especially if their Sonic Grey isn’t even your first choice for colour. $55k CAD trade in for the LE is insulting, and they know it, but were hoping you’re a sucker who’s enamoured with the FL5.

ScumbagRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
What dealership are you dealing with? They can get bent if they think they can get the LE off you for 55k!!! You can’t even get a regular FK8 with those km for less that that! They are trying to fleece you.

A piece of advice for people trading in vehicles, never start the negotiations with them knowing you have a trade in. You’re instantly screwed if you do.
Is that really a fleece? They are offering him $5k to trade his used LE for a new FL5. I think many people would take that deal...

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
Is that really a fleece? They are offering him $5k to trade his used LE for a new FL5. I think many people would take that deal...
Yeah that’s a fleece. The exclusivity alone makes it a fleece. He’s only got 8000km on the car. It’s the best, and last special edition of the FK8 generation and only a couple years old.

This one has similar mileage as his, actually 2k more and through a dealership. $72,998
Saw this 2021 Honda Civic Type R on AutoTrader's iPad app
http://www.autotrader.ca/go/5-56731267

This one has 2k less but it a private sale. $89,000
http://www.autotrader.ca/go/19-12451632

This is the cheapest one available! $69,999
http://www.autotrader.ca/go/19-12300508

The price range in Canada for the FK8 LE is between $73,000 and $90,000. Remember there is only 100 units in the country.

So absolutely YES! $55,000 is a fleece on a trade in for the FL5 in Canada. I got my FL5 at MSRP with add-on’s I would have done anyways and I had no trade-in.

Last edited:

ScumbagRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Yeah that’s a fleece. The exclusivity alone makes it a fleece. He’s only got 8000km on the car. It’s the best, and last special edition of the FK8 generation and only a couple years old.

This one has similar mileage as his, actually 2k more and through a dealership. $72,998
http://www.autotrader.ca/go/5-56731267

This one has 2k less but it a private sale. $89,000
http://www.autotrader.ca/go/19-12451632

This is the cheapest one available! $69,999
http://www.autotrader.ca/go/19-12300508

The price range in Canada for the FK8 LE is between $73,000 and $90,000. Remember there is only 100 units in the country.

So absolutely YES! $55,000 is a fleece on a trade in for the FL5 in Canada. I got my FL5 at MSRP with add-on’s I would have done anyways and I had no trade-in.
Wow, I had no idea. Those LE prices are nuts!
Sponsored