• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FL5 Coolant Reservoir Leak

timestamped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus ST, 2017 Fusion Sport
Just a PSA to rinse out a coolant expansion tank before installing, I think these are styrofoam fibers that worked their way in during shipping:

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Coolant Reservoir Leak IMG_8725
Sponsored

evlsmurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Impreza Sport
Just to confirm, the Mishimoto expansion tank is the same for the FL5 that fits the FK8. Mishimoto could not confirm it fit, which is odd.

timestamped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus ST, 2017 Fusion Sport
I used a flashlight and mirror to see the coolant level reach the sight glass while pouring:

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Coolant Reservoir Leak IMG_8731

earfejj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R, 1984 Toyota Tercel 4WD
Dang! I just hit 1000 miles. I wonder if there is anything that you can do before hand to prevent this from happening? I wonder if it's from vibration or just a crappy seam?
From what I understand, it's a manufacturer defect but who really knows. I had it replaced and am now at 6500 miles with no issues.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
So far the radium tank with hondabond is holding up. After one track day, no leaks.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
That thing will never fail. The hondabond you placed that day can never be undone. šŸ˜‚
Yeah I hope not. So far each time I check under the hood, no blue coloration on the hood or anywhere on/near the tank. I didnā€™t think I put too much but clearly I put too much when I had to scrape off from the inside. Thanks again for telling me to do that.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Yeah I hope not. So far each time I check under the hood, no blue coloration on the hood or anywhere on/near the tank. I didnā€™t think I put too much but clearly I put too much when I had to scrape off from the inside. Thanks again for telling me to do that.
That is what we are here for my friend! And thank you for everything!

pigfacedalarm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I'm not really interested in the Mishi tank, so I'm considering the Radium or the new 27Won expansion tank.

I'm familiar with Radium, but not 27Won as a manufacturer. About the same price; which would you choose?
https://store.27won.com/upgraded-coolant-expansion-tank.html
27Won. Itā€™s a solid single piece, radium is two pieces and prone to leaking at the seal unless you use RTV sealant. 27Won is a big Honda vendor- I have their rear motor mount and itā€™s a perfectly machined piece.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R; 2019 Si (sold)
27Won. Itā€™s a solid single piece, radium is two pieces and prone to leaking at the seal unless you use RTV sealant. 27Won is a big Honda vendor- I have their rear motor mount and itā€™s a perfectly machined piece.
yeah, 27won usually puts out some top-notch stuff. had their exhaust on my 10th gen Si and the build quality was superb

katch922

First Name
Raf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 CTR
Why not mishi? Itā€™s a solid piece, I have no issues with mine. I wouldnā€™t go with radium, either mishimoto or 27won.

Doskiller

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R FL5
Peeps seem to worry about the sight glass leaking. Here's a thought ........ just don't fill it up all the way to the sight glass in the first place if nervous ................ ;-)

evlsmurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Impreza Sport
Peeps seem to worry about the sight glass leaking. Here's a thought ........ just don't fill it up all the way to the sight glass in the first place if nervous ................ ;-)
Have there been issues with the glass leaking?

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Have there been issues with the glass leaking?
Not sure. Mine hasnā€™t. And itā€™s filled halfway. The threads comes pretreated. I have not seen any leaks so far. It was my concern with the radium tank. But seeing how you can use sealant on it, I was willing to take chance since I didnā€™t like the looks of the other options currently available.
Sponsored