• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback sport
From there I moved to a JDM FD2 then lost interest as the newer models didn't interest me. The FL5 is definitely the spiritual successor the the FD2 so i'm back in! Leaked info sounds very promising, just the small problem of securing one...
I see the FL5 as an evolution of the FK8. I just don’t see at all how it’s a spiritual successor to the FD2. The FD2 was a sedan that was naturally aspirated and revs to 8600rpms. It’s literally an FK8 that was put in a microwave for a minute to soften up the exterior.

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
I see the FL5 as an evolution of the FK8. I just don’t see at all how it’s a spiritual successor to the FD2. The FD2 was a sedan that was naturally aspirated and revs to 8600rpms. It’s literally an FK8 that was put in a microwave for a minute to soften up the exterior.
I like the new interior too, it seems like a nice place to be

giger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2
They delivered form over function with the FK8, going in a style direction that split the community and their own design principles. Don't get me wrong, it was still a success & a great car. Regardless of engine, the FD2 (like Rs before it) went with function first, added enough design to show it meant business but kept it simple inside and out. The FL5 is a return to that recipe (Plus it had red carpets 😂)

DKwen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRZ
I'm not sure where the info in the graphic relates to, as it doesn't seem to show the ITR DC5 run. The ATR in JDM was actually the 'Euro R' (bizarrely), whereas Europe inc. UK got the Accord Type R powered by the might H22A7 2.2 litre VTEC engine. I'm in the UK and had a 2007 model in nighthawk black:cool:

From there I moved to a JDM FD2 then lost interest as the newer models didn't interest me. The FL5 is definitely the spiritual successor the the FD2 so i'm back in! Leaked info sounds very promising, just the small problem of securing one....
it did, 2001 ITR DC5, blue bar, start from 2001 model year. BTW the worldwide sales figure is released by Honda JP, IIRC it came with the media package when introducing the FL5 in JP

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They delivered form over function with the FK8, going in a style direction that split the community and their own design principles. Don't get me wrong, it was still a success & a great car. Regardless of engine, the FD2 (like Rs before it) went with function first, added enough design to show it meant business but kept it simple inside and out. The FL5 is a return to that recipe (Plus it had red carpets 😂)
Hey I’m not an FK8 over everything kinda guy. The EK9 is still my favourite CTR but the FD2 is the absolute perfect iteration of the CTR. The FK2 was the beginning of the end of the Type R recipe so I just find it funny how the FL5 could be spiritual successor when it doesn’t follow a single thing (besides the red carpet) lol.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like the new interior too, it seems like a nice place to be
Agreed the interior is way more upscale than any other civic ever. Seems like a great cockpit.

Reactions: Z3N

Z3N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 FK8 CTR
I'm a fan of the longer gear ratios, and other suspension/body/rigidity improvements of course, but the extra weight almost completely negates the benefit of the hp bump.

Using 306hp from the NA spec'd FK8 (306/3117 = ?/3205) the FL5 at 88 lbs. heavier would need to hit a minimum of 312.94hp to match the power:weight ratio of the FK8, or in other words, a bump of 6.94hp.

10hp gain - 7hp p:w requirement = 3hp net gain

Compared to the FK8 predecessor, we're only functionally getting a benefit of 3hp...
FL5 could have used a better weight diet.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The longer gear ratios I think will be a huge plus, especially if they are going for the Nring record for the higher top speed. That’s a part I hate aboit dailying my FK8 is I find the gearing a bit too short.

Reactions: Z3N

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
Hey I’m not an FK8 over everything kinda guy. The EK9 is still my favourite CTR but the FD2 is the absolute perfect iteration of the CTR. The FK2 was the beginning of the end of the Type R recipe so I just find it funny how the FL5 could be spiritual successor when it doesn’t follow a single thing (besides the red carpet) lol.
I can kind of see the connection. FD2 was made in Japan, built on the same platform as the visually-divisive FN2 from Swindon. Being the last NA model, FD2 also marked the end of that chapter of CTR. Likewise, FL5 is made in Japan, based on the also visually-divisive FK8 from Swindon. And it'll also be the last purely ICE model, marking the end of that chapter of CTR. The big difference is that, in context, FK8 is a much better car than FN2 in pretty much every way.

FL5 could have used a better weight diet.
Leaves more room on the table for a possible LE, if you ask me.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can kind of see the connection. FD2 was made in Japan, built on the same platform as the visually-divisive FN2 from Swindon. Being the last NA model, FD2 also marked the end of that chapter of CTR. Likewise, FL5 is made in Japan, based on the also visually-divisive FK8 from Swindon. And it'll also be the last purely ICE model, marking the end of that chapter of CTR. The big difference is that, in context, FK8 is a much better car than FN2 in pretty much every way.
We just gotta agree to disagree, seems like your pulling at straws to make a comparison when literally the cars couldn’t be anymore different mechanically and in style.

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
We just gotta agree to disagree, seems like your pulling at straws to make a comparison when literally the cars couldn’t be anymore different mechanically and in style.
I'm sorry you're not able to grasp the basic concept of similarities.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
You have to look at them not in relation to each other but relative to the era. The FL5 accomplishes the same feat relative to the vehicles of this era.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so by being built in a Japanese factory again makes it the spiritual successor to the FD2?
11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Type R JDM Spec leaked, +40kg;Reservation skyrocketed in Japan reported by Bestcar 1661984153875