• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

High pitched noise with Ram Air Pro Ram intake

STEye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CW CTR FL5
After I installed the Ram Air Pro Ram intake I noticed a high pitched noise when WOT at certain RPM ranges. I checked all my connections to make sure nothing was loose. I'm at a loss at what is causing it and how I can fix it. Takers?
Sponsored

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
The high pitched whirring? Sounds like the turbo from here. The hissing is air being pulled in. And you know what the PSSHHH is :D

Go to a closed intake if you don't like the noises, I love them and that's why I run a Pipercross which is basically the same as the Ram Air.

OP
OP
STEye

STEye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CW CTR FL5
The sound at the beginning (short) and at the last second of the clip? That's normal??

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Yeah man, you're hearing the incredibly high speed of the turbo spinning and the forced sucking of air. The stock intake quiets all of that so you don't hear it.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
That's normal and should be music to your ears. You'll find it more pronounced when it's cold(er) outside. You owned an STi, you've never heard this before?

OP
OP
STEye

STEye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CW CTR FL5
That's normal and should be music to your ears. You'll find it more pronounced when it's cold(er) outside. You owned an STi, you've never heard this before?
I've had an '05 and an '08 STI with various intakes, never heard that in my life! So will all intakes make this sound? Was thinking of the PRL HVI with the enclosure.

CaryH

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 touring 2.0T, 2005 Toyota 4runner SR5, 2012 c
Yes sir that normal, I also have pipecross air box.......sound the same.
11th Gen Honda Civic High pitched noise with Ram Air Pro Ram intake 20231113_192857

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
I've had an '05 and an '08 STI with various intakes, never heard that in my life! So will all intakes make this sound? Was thinking of the PRL HVI with the enclosure.
🤔

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
A (mostly) closed intake design like the PRL *should* be much quieter although I imagine you'll hear a little something - probably just the blowoff.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Interesting. I had an 06 STi and the induction/turbo noise became very noticeable with the addition of an aftermarket intake. On the FL5, you will experience enhanced induction/turbo noise from any modification to the factory intake system - this includes a drop-in panel filter. The tone, pitch, and volume are a function of the type of air intake system.

OP
OP
STEye

STEye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CW CTR FL5
Interesting. I had an 06 STi and the induction/turbo noise became very noticeable with the addition of an aftermarket intake. On the FL5, you will experience enhanced induction/turbo noise from any modification to the factory intake system - this includes a drop-in panel filter. The tone, pitch, and volume are a function of the type of air intake system.
With my STIs you could definitely hear induction noises and BPV when you put an intake on, but I never heard a high pitch noise. Just wooshing sounds and pshhh!

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
I had a Volvo 240 GLT and its turbo sounded like a (faint) police siren, every once in a while, I'd get freaked out thinking there was a cop on my tail!

I was a bit surprised by the noises and volume from the Pipercross, I'd never heard the hissing sound of air being pulled in like that before. All of the noises are probably why I get 17mpg...
Sponsored