• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Honda Hack / Root: 11th Gen - Work In Progress Discoveries

eric__

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Touring (Meteorite Gray)
Hey all,
I am still learning more about the civic world since getting my car last week. I was looking into something called Honda Hack that is possible on the 10th Gen Civics. I did some research and it appears the exploit worked by:
  • accessing a hidden menu
  • disabling android restriction
  • accessing the browser and navigating to www.autohack.org/root to activate the payload to root your head unit
However, it appears the Disable Android Restriction, and quite possibly the browser apk itself is gone. One thing I did note is the new hidden menu I found allows you to activate ADB over USB, so there is a potential to just sideload a browser apk, launch it, and then try to use HondaHack or other methods to root the very outdated Android 8.1.0 OS.

This thread is just a catalog for what I discover on my quest to root / hack the new 11th gen head unit. In following posts I will post some screenshots / videos I took of the new menus and options that I found

The original Honda Hack thread for a 2017 Civic can be found on the XDA Developer forums.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
eric__

eric__

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here are some screenshots and methods to access the two hidden screens I have found:

First Hidden Screen (Diagnosis Menu):
Similar to what was used on the 10th Gens: hold HOME + POWER + BACK:
11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Hack / Root: 11th Gen - Work In Progress Discoveries IMG_3658

That brings you to a screen that looks like this:
11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Hack / Root: 11th Gen - Work In Progress Discoveries IMG_3659

From this screen (or from the Detailed Information & Setting screen), Hold BACK + POWER + FORWARD for about 5 seconds for a new hidden menu:
11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Hack / Root: 11th Gen - Work In Progress Discoveries IMG_3660

The thing to note here, I think, is the USB mode. It allows you to turn on ADB Mode through the USB port:
11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Hack / Root: 11th Gen - Work In Progress Discoveries IMG_3661

It leads me to believe this may be the route that is needed to take in order to take admin-level control over the device.

Here is a video version of showing how to get into the menus as well:

Last edited:
OP
OP
eric__

eric__

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The other important thing I mentioned: lack of a browser period.
If you navigate to General Settings > System > Developer Options > Developer Option > Inactive Apps, it shows a listing of all the apps (presumably) and notably missing in the list is any reference to Browser, Chrome, Firefox. The only thing I see is a WebviewBrowserTester.

Here is a video on that:

With the above ADB Debug through USB method, my thought process is to snag a copy of a browser like Firefox, install and launch it.
Bash:
# Would require a computer or device with ADB and the APK installed
adb install org.mozilla.firefox.apk
# After installing to the head unit, launch it via this command
adb shell am start -n org.mozilla.firefox/org.mozilla.gecko.BrowserApp
I hope to test this out sometime soon!

Last edited:
OP
OP
eric__

eric__

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I tried several combinations of setting the USB mode to ADB mode, and also going into General Settings > System > Developer Options > Developer Option and enabling USB debugging. However no matter what I tried, my computer would not connect to the head unit. I also noticed that the ADB mode usb mode seemed to just turn off power completely to the port and nothing worked.

I did find another hidden menu like the 10th gen civics had, but the Disable Android Restriction Button is gone from that menu as well.

After holding HOME + POWER + BACK to get into the Diagnosis menu, click the bottom button for Detailed Information & Setting.

Now on the Detailed Information & Setting screen, hold the HOME button for about 5 seconds.
11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Hack / Root: 11th Gen - Work In Progress Discoveries IMG_3672

That takes you to the Developer Diagnosis Menu. I tried checking every single menu in here but the Special function setting stuck out to me from watching videos on the 19-21 Civic Honda Hack videos.
11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Hack / Root: 11th Gen - Work In Progress Discoveries IMG_3673

However clicking it just nets you this:
11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Hack / Root: 11th Gen - Work In Progress Discoveries IMG_3674

And clicking that button just shows you a toggle switch.

I tried holding some combination of buttons on this screen but nothing worked there.

I'm leaving this thread up for now in case anyone else takes on this endeavor for Honda Hack in 11th Gen. But it does not look promising as of yet.

Seikirai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Android auto wireless option not available via Smartphone Connection, only Carplay wireless is available.

Any hack/guide available to enable Android auto wireless option??

horchatajunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Sport
I just saw this on YouTube, but on the sport trim, turn the audio off. Hold phone and connect button, then press the audio on/off button 5 times. It leads to a diagnostic screen but alas no browser still :(

Just1Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport
YUP, like the rest of us, all you can do is upgrade the system once the aftermarket catches up to us this gen
Hey there, have you tried to follow the hidden menu? You can turn off the EQ and I think it gives a better sound.

1. Power off the radio
2. While holding down Phone and Connect, Press the power button 5 times.
3. Go into the Audio Check
4. Go into Speaker Check
5. Turn off the EQ.
6. Hit the back button
7. Hit the power button.

You will still have the option to play with treble, bass and mids. I don't know if its just me but I seem to have more output from my rear speakers and alot more Bass. I think its an improvement on sound but the sound on in this car is still pretty blah.

Last edited:

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (BB)
Hey there, have you tried to follow the hidden menu? You can turn off the EQ and I think it gives a better sound.

1. Power off the radio
2. While holding down Phone and Connect, Press the power button 5 times.
3. Go into the Audio Check and turn off the EQ.
4. Hit the back button
5. Hit the power button.

You will still have the option to play with treble, bass and mids. I don't know if its just me but I seem to have more output from my rear speakers and alot more Bass. I think its an improvement on sound but the sound on in this car is still pretty blah.
Iā€™ll give it a try on my drive into work and see if I notice a difference ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (BB)
@Just1Jack
I checked and did not see an option to turn off the EQ like you mentioned.
I hit ā€œaudio checkā€ and the next page only shows me 3 options:
ā€œspeaker checkā€
ā€FMā€
ā€AMā€

Here is what I saw: (sorry for the glare)
11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Hack / Root: 11th Gen - Work In Progress Discoveries 5F219267-9BAE-4CC0-9979-0E6825269EC9

11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Hack / Root: 11th Gen - Work In Progress Discoveries F8D17E1C-17D2-4AB0-B203-BDDD86E4DBCA

Just1Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport
@Just1Jack
I checked and did not see an option to turn off the EQ like you mentioned.
I hit ā€œaudio checkā€ and the next page only shows me 3 options:
ā€œspeaker checkā€
ā€FMā€
ā€AMā€

Here is what I saw: (sorry for the glare)
5F219267-9BAE-4CC0-9979-0E6825269EC9.jpeg

F8D17E1C-17D2-4AB0-B203-BDDD86E4DBCA.jpeg

That is strange. Let me double check on the steps. Ill let you know in a few days. I cant leave the house cause I am sick with covid.