• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Honda Hack / Root: 11th Gen - Work In Progress Discoveries

Just1Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport
@Just1Jack no rush ?? Get better first. We ain’t goin nowhere lol ??‍♂
ok, so i missed a step. Sorry about that, once you click audio check, click speaker check and the options are there. You can toggle off EQ, ANC and Loudness. Another thing I noticed is that this resets everytime you turn the car off.
Sponsored

Last edited:

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (BB)
ok, so i missed a step. Sorry about that, once you click audio check, click speaker check and the options are there. You can toggle off EQ, ANC and Loudness. Another thing I noticed is that this resets everytime you turn the car off.
cool thx…I’ll play around with it ??

Nyapheng

First Name
Nyap heng
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic fe
Any way to change the background of 7 inch head unit? It looks so plain.

iLLNESS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 EG k20a2, 2017 Civic Touring
I also noticed that the ADB mode usb mode seemed to just turn off power completely to the port and nothing worked.
Is it possible enabling ADB mode is killing all USB ports except the one meant to be used for ADB? Perhaps try all the ports (including USBC).

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Is it possible enabling ADB mode is killing all USB ports except the one meant to be used for ADB? Perhaps try all the ports (including USBC).
I tried all ports no luck. I did enter the service screens but we are missing " Cancel Android Restrictions" option. I did enable developer options and ticked the OEM unlock and enabled adb.
I did change the USB host function to adb. I ordered a USBA to USBA cable so I can test on Monday

11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Hack / Root: 11th Gen - Work In Progress Discoveries PXL_20220619_000727444

Last edited:

Giovandre

First Name
GiO
Threads
Reaction score
North Dakota, USA from Puerto Rico (USAF)
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si, 2023 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum
Following

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Alright the cable came in and it detects the device. Unfortunately I'm seeing an unauthorized from the adb server. Normally there is a pop-up on the Android device where you can authorize the PC that's connecting. Well I don't see this dialog. Interesting how it shows adb in the notification screen

11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Hack / Root: 11th Gen - Work In Progress Discoveries PXL_20220620_224916232

Bunhyung

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 CBP ST
Once you have entered developer mode, scroll down and toggle USB mode from charging to file transfer.
Alright the cable came in and it detects the device. Unfortunately I'm seeing an unauthorized from the adb server. Normally there is a pop-up on the Android device where you can authorize the PC that's connecting. Well I don't see this dialog. Interesting how it shows adb in the notification screen

PXL_20220620_224916232.jpg
I believe that you need to go into Developer options and switch USB function from charging to Data/file transfer.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Once you have entered developer mode, scroll down and toggle USB mode from charging to file transfer.

I believe that you need to go into Developer options and switch USB function from charging to Data/file transfer.
I tried MTP and PTP mode but no prompt.

Furrynips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic; CR-V
Took delivery on my 2022 Sport Hatchback (Canada). I love this car, but disappointed the 7in. display doesn't even seem to be android (I'm 70% sure; the software version reported isn't an Android one)

I've found two hidden menus in addition to the one in post #11. The process is much the same but uses additional buttons:

"Developer Diagnostic" Menu:
1. Power off the radio
2. While holding down Phone and Connect, and Menu, Press the power button 5 times and DO NOT release Phone, Connect, and Menu.
3. Keep holding Phone, Connect, and Menu for ~5 sec.

The Developer Diagnostics menu comes up with the following items:
DD VSP Error (defaulted to "on")
- Steer angle adjustment result
- Steer angle setting
- Bluetooth information
- Touch panel check
- Display check
- Gamma adjustment
- BMP display

I have not reviewed anything inside these menus yet.

The other hidden menu is called "Authentication Diag" and contains settings for changing the USB to Host/Device mode (among other things). I am hoping this would be a starting point for head unit mods.

Similar to the above, hold down three keys for ~5 seconds after hitting the power button 5 times. I've added a sample screenshot for clarity.

"Authentication Diag" menu:
1. Power off the radio
2. While holding down Phone and Connect, and Back, Press the power button 5 times and DO NOT release Phone, Connect, and Back.
3. Keep holding Phone, Connect, and Back for ~5 sec.

The "Authentication Diag" menu comes up with the following items:
- USB mode change
- Apple CarPlay performance test
- USB hub mode (defaulted to off)
- Bluetooth test

The USB mode lets you toggle between Host & Device mode. Changing the setting seems a bit "flaky" and usually won't allow to select one or the other unless I leave the menu and come back in a few times. It often, but not always, allows me to change to "device" by holding down the button for around 5 seconds and then repeatedly tapping it to get the setting to "stick".

I haven't yet successfully been able to get any farther with this; in Device mode the head unit doesn't recognize either my phone or my computer attached to USB. As I mentioned, the software doesn't even seem to be Android. None of the info provided earlier in this thread seems to apply to the 7in screen (at least, not for Canada) except for the video clip in post #8 and the settings for the EQ in post #11.

I'd love to hear if anyone is able to do anything further with this info & make progress on getting a USB connection to PC.

11th Gen Honda Civic Honda Hack / Root: 11th Gen - Work In Progress Discoveries 7 in infotainment 2

** Edit** I've also found that either of these two menus can be accessed simply by holding down either the "Back" button or the "Menu" button for 5 sec once you're inside the main "Detailed Information & Setting", which is accessed with just holding Phone and Connect & Pressing the power button 5 times (Posts 8/ 11).

Last edited:

xlestergg

First Name
Lester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FE (7" display)
Took delivery on my 2022 Sport Hatchback (Canada). I love this car, but disappointed the 7in. display doesn't even seem to be android (I'm 70% sure; the software version reported isn't an Android one)

I've found two hidden menus in addition to the one in post #11. The process is much the same but uses additional buttons:

"Developer Diagnostic" Menu:
1. Power off the radio
2. While holding down Phone and Connect, and Menu, Press the power button 5 times and DO NOT release Phone, Connect, and Menu.
3. Keep holding Phone, Connect, and Menu for ~5 sec.

The Developer Diagnostics menu comes up with the following items:
DD VSP Error (defaulted to "on")
- Steer angle adjustment result
- Steer angle setting
- Bluetooth information
- Touch panel check
- Display check
- Gamma adjustment
- BMP display

I have not reviewed anything inside these menus yet.

The other hidden menu is called "Authentication Diag" and contains settings for changing the USB to Host/Device mode (among other things). I am hoping this would be a starting point for head unit mods.

Similar to the above, hold down three keys for ~5 seconds after hitting the power button 5 times. I've added a sample screenshot for clarity.

"Authentication Diag" menu:
1. Power off the radio
2. While holding down Phone and Connect, and Back, Press the power button 5 times and DO NOT release Phone, Connect, and Back.
3. Keep holding Phone, Connect, and Back for ~5 sec.

The "Authentication Diag" menu comes up with the following items:
- USB mode change
- Apple CarPlay performance test
- USB hub mode (defaulted to off)
- Bluetooth test

The USB mode lets you toggle between Host & Device mode. Changing the setting seems a bit "flaky" and usually won't allow to select one or the other unless I leave the menu and come back in a few times. It often, but not always, allows me to change to "device" by holding down the button for around 5 seconds and then repeatedly tapping it to get the setting to "stick".

I haven't yet successfully been able to get any farther with this; in Device mode the head unit doesn't recognize either my phone or my computer attached to USB. As I mentioned, the software doesn't even seem to be Android. None of the info provided earlier in this thread seems to apply to the 7in screen (at least, not for Canada) except for the video clip in post #8 and the settings for the EQ in post #11.

I'd love to hear if anyone is able to do anything further with this info & make progress on getting a USB connection to PC.

7 in infotainment 2.png

** Edit** I've also found that either of these two menus can be accessed simply by holding down either the "Back" button or the "Menu" button for 5 sec once you're inside the main "Detailed Information & Setting", which is accessed with just holding Phone and Connect & Pressing the power button 5 times (Posts 8/ 11).
In the same boat as you, finding out how the 7" display is possibly not even android and is a night and day difference compared to the 9" which has a lot more going on with it (and also wireless connectivity). The most disappointing part of the car really.

I'm also looking for the possibility that it is Android so I can access the browser and install APK(s) for Wireless Carplay/Android Auto (some of them requires you install it to work)

USB to Host/Device mode doesnt really seem to work, it doesnt seem like it's saved when you press on it. Calling "adb devices" doesnt list it as a device as well. I'm guessing there might be some requirement or action to make it save

Last edited:

Furrynips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic; CR-V
In the same boat as you, finding out how the 7" display is possibly not even android and is a night and day difference compared to the 9" which has a lot more going on with it (and also wireless connectivity). The most disappointing part of the car really.

I'm also looking for the possibility that it is Android so I can access the browser and install APK(s) for Wireless Carplay/Android Auto (some of them requires you install it to work)

USB to Host/Device mode doesnt really seem to work, it doesnt seem like it's saved when you press on it. Calling "adb devices" doesnt list it as a device as well. I'm guessing there might be some requirement or action to make it save

When connected to a Windows PC with USB on the head unit set to Device mode, the PC sees it as a "USB Composite device" but also has an error (in device manager) "Status_Device_Data_Error". Perhaps at this point it's a (proprietary?) driver issue. I have not yet had an opportunity to try with a Linux based computer connected.

On a side note, holding down the Menu button for 10 seconds while on the "Version" screen will cause the SW Version entry to change to the word "Boot" and the remainder of the various version numbers change to new (lower) values, all beginning with the letter "D". I'm not sure what this means, perhaps it's presenting the software versions that are pre-loaded during boot before the head unit switches to the newer "running" version (similar to the way Android has a factory image that gets re-installed when you reset a phone). Complete speculation, just reporting my findings in the hope it will help in being able to get to a point we can get some mods/customization going.

xlestergg

First Name
Lester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FE (7" display)
When connected to a Windows PC with USB on the head unit set to Device mode, the PC sees it as a "USB Composite device" but also has an error (in device manager) "Status_Device_Data_Error". Perhaps at this point it's a (proprietary?) driver issue. I have not yet had an opportunity to try with a Linux based computer connected.

On a side note, holding down the Menu button for 10 seconds while on the "Version" screen will cause the SW Version entry to change to the word "Boot" and the remainder of the various version numbers change to new (lower) values, all beginning with the letter "D". I'm not sure what this means, perhaps it's presenting the software versions that are pre-loaded during boot before the head unit switches to the newer "running" version (similar to the way Android has a factory image that gets re-installed when you reset a phone). Complete speculation, just reporting my findings in the hope it will help in being able to get to a point we can get some mods/customization going.
Previously when I tried I couldnt get the head unit to change modes. Maybe I'll try again. Previously when I connected it to my Mac, it just charges my Mac. I will give it a go again and report back if I see something different after setting it to one or the either.

Plugging my phone in (with USB debugging enabled) shows it's debugging (my phone) when connected

I'm assuming we need to change it to device mode for it to behave like a device and get properly detected by PC/mac as a device and maybe ADB
Sponsored