• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Honda Hack / Root: 11th Gen - Work In Progress Discoveries

mapletonPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 HRV
Took delivery on my 2022 Sport Hatchback (Canada). I love this car, but disappointed the 7in. display doesn't even seem to be android (I'm 70% sure; the software version reported isn't an Android one)

I've found two hidden menus in addition to the one in post #11. The process is much the same but uses additional buttons:

"Developer Diagnostic" Menu:
1. Power off the radio
2. While holding down Phone and Connect, and Menu, Press the power button 5 times and DO NOT release Phone, Connect, and Menu.
3. Keep holding Phone, Connect, and Menu for ~5 sec.

The Developer Diagnostics menu comes up with the following items:
DD VSP Error (defaulted to "on")
- Steer angle adjustment result
- Steer angle setting
- Bluetooth information
- Touch panel check
- Display check
- Gamma adjustment
- BMP display

I have not reviewed anything inside these menus yet.

The other hidden menu is called "Authentication Diag" and contains settings for changing the USB to Host/Device mode (among other things). I am hoping this would be a starting point for head unit mods.

Similar to the above, hold down three keys for ~5 seconds after hitting the power button 5 times. I've added a sample screenshot for clarity.

"Authentication Diag" menu:
1. Power off the radio
2. While holding down Phone and Connect, and Back, Press the power button 5 times and DO NOT release Phone, Connect, and Back.
3. Keep holding Phone, Connect, and Back for ~5 sec.

The "Authentication Diag" menu comes up with the following items:
- USB mode change
- Apple CarPlay performance test
- USB hub mode (defaulted to off)
- Bluetooth test

The USB mode lets you toggle between Host & Device mode. Changing the setting seems a bit "flaky" and usually won't allow to select one or the other unless I leave the menu and come back in a few times. It often, but not always, allows me to change to "device" by holding down the button for around 5 seconds and then repeatedly tapping it to get the setting to "stick".

I haven't yet successfully been able to get any farther with this; in Device mode the head unit doesn't recognize either my phone or my computer attached to USB. As I mentioned, the software doesn't even seem to be Android. None of the info provided earlier in this thread seems to apply to the 7in screen (at least, not for Canada) except for the video clip in post #8 and the settings for the EQ in post #11.

I'd love to hear if anyone is able to do anything further with this info & make progress on getting a USB connection to PC.

7 in infotainment 2.png

** Edit** I've also found that either of these two menus can be accessed simply by holding down either the "Back" button or the "Menu" button for 5 sec once you're inside the main "Detailed Information & Setting", which is accessed with just holding Phone and Connect & Pressing the power button 5 times (Posts 8/ 11).
I have a new 2023 HRV Sport which has the exact same stereo. I'd love to figure out how to save some of the options in the settings - specifically the gamma adjust - trying to brighten up my screen. Any idea how to save changes?
Sponsored

Jamieden

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Touring
I am back! I have done some research, and I think in order to actually exploit a vulnerability on the device, either an ADB tcpip needs to be opened (which can only be done with the vendor keys), being on the same wifi network as the device (which might be able to be done with the software update module, or something), or finding a tool to send these exploits over USB.

Jamieden

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Touring
Okay, I think I have something that may work. Using the System Update option and connecting to your own Wi-Fi, you can change the DNS for the software update server to go to a local server hosting a Linux Server for an exploit regarding the WebView browser. If we can force the head unit to go to that Linux Server, we may be in the clear

Furrynips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic; CR-V
I have a new 2023 HRV Sport which has the exact same stereo. I'd love to figure out how to save some of the options in the settings - specifically the gamma adjust - trying to brighten up my screen. Any idea how to save changes?
Unfortunately not; as far as I can tell nobody has yet been able to figure out how to make changes permanent. I'd like to keep the EQ turned off...VERY annoying to have to change the sound settings every single time.

El2ok

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Hello everyone! Loving the Thread! I started following this about 2 weeks ago (When I didn't even have my 11th gen just yet). I finally got it last week and loving the progress that you all have made for the 11th gen. I used to love running Honda Hack on my 10th gen, to the point I would run a 2 TB Hard drive with movies and tv and it would work flawlessly! lol. Sucks that Honda has made it this difficult to give us full control of the Head unit.

What is everyone's thoughts on running an Android box that are now out there in the market, I have been keeping my eye on the MMB 11 Plus, It advertises that it is pretty much a plug in play for the car, but before I dish out any additional funds on this I wanted to see if any of you have tested this out by any chance.

This is the link to the one I have am looking at, and The Youtube reviews seem pretty legit.

https://www.carplaymmb.com/products/mmb-11-plus-multimedia-box

Jamieden

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Touring
Hello everyone! Loving the Thread! I started following this about 2 weeks ago (When I didn't even have my 11th gen just yet). I finally got it last week and loving the progress that you all have made for the 11th gen. I used to love running Honda Hack on my 10th gen, to the point I would run a 2 TB Hard drive with movies and tv and it would work flawlessly! lol. Sucks that Honda has made it this difficult to give us full control of the Head unit.

What is everyone's thoughts on running an Android box that are now out there in the market, I have been keeping my eye on the MMB 11 Plus, It advertises that it is pretty much a plug in play for the car, but before I dish out any additional funds on this I wanted to see if any of you have tested this out by any chance.

This is the link to the one I have am looking at, and The Youtube reviews seem pretty legit.

https://www.carplaymmb.com/products/mmb-11-plus-multimedia-box
If it’s not hacked OEM, I don’t want it

El2ok

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just checking in to see if anyone has heard of any progress on running honda hack on the OEM head unit?

16 bit

First Name
bit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civic 11th gen
Dont really understand why Honda decided to allow Apple carplay wirelessly, while leaving Android users on wired.

do they work at a different frequency? can we enable the infotainment / Head-unit to enable wireless for android with a hack or exploit?

El2ok

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dont really understand why Honda decided to allow Apple carplay wirelessly, while leaving Android users on wired.

do they work at a different frequency? can we enable the infotainment / Head-unit to enable wireless for android with a hack or exploit?
I have a 2022 civic si and it allows me to use android auto wirelessly... however theres a lot of bugs with it.. 🤦‍♂️ lol. My pandora and spotify apps only work sometimes meaning it doesn't even pop up on my android auto apps. I normally have to reset my phone or restart the car for those apps to pop back up.

16 bit

First Name
bit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civic 11th gen
I have a 2022 civic si and it allows me to use android auto wirelessly... however theres a lot of bugs with it.. 🤦‍♂️ lol. My pandora and spotify apps only work sometimes meaning it doesn't even pop up on my android auto apps. I normally have to reset my phone or restart the car for those apps to pop back up.
did the Android wireless function come right when you got your car? or did you do something with the firmware/head unit? mine only supports IOS wirelessly.

i have the civic touring - didnt have android wireless

El2ok

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
did the Android wireless function come right when you got your car? or did you do something with the firmware/head unit? mine only supports IOS wirelessly.

i have the civic touring - didnt have android wireless
It came with thr car when I first got it.

psyborg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
I'll take quality and reliability over convenience. Wired isn't great, but it's finicky by itself without introducing wireless to the mix. Plus better audio quality. I'm sticking with wired even if wireless is available. Too many bad experiences with this HU.

El2ok

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll take quality and reliability over convenience. Wired isn't great, but it's finicky by itself without introducing wireless to the mix. Plus better audio quality. I'm sticking with wired even if wireless is available. Too many bad experiences with this HU.

Yea man, I miss the HU on my old 10th gen.. it felt like you had more access to the unit compared to the 11th gen.
Sponsored